Latest post Sat, May 31 2014 8:43 PM by split_reel. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 8:48 PM

• Angelos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 7 2006
    • Greece
    • Posts 12
    • Points 190

avid + mac + greek = impossible

Why is it so difficult for Avid to write programs that can be used by users outside US?

For years I haven't found a way to make avid work with greek fonts on the Mac.

I've tried a dozen of fonts. None worked within avid. They seem to work perfect by the way on other applications like photoshop, after fx, ect.

Not to mention that you must be really lucky to be able to change the input language within the title tool.

Where is the Greek Community of Avid Users? It's hard to believe that no one uses Mac to run Avid.

I'm currently running MC 5.0.3.8

HP z800 Workstastion - Avid MC 5.5.2 Mojo SDI - Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 8:59 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Re: avid + mac + greek = impossible

There is a well known Greeze editor from Tessaloniki that is doing lots of edits all the time, do a search for sverkalo to get some help

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 9:04 PM In reply to

I've already pinged George on this.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jun 23 2011 2:06 AM In reply to

Hi there,

I hope that I can be of any assist since I am working all of those years

on PC side and not on Mac.

I can work with many Greek fonts but not all of my fonts can be used with MC.

I have found that Marquee recognize more Greek fonts than TT.

It's a lot better to use Greek fonts with Photoshop than MC.

This is the true but there are a lot of fonts that can be used with MC as well.

I have friends using Vegas or FCP that telling me the same thing

about not being able to work with whatever font they want.

Changing from Gr to En and vice versa, is very easy.

I have no problem and MC gives a warning about not changing the local

because some keys won't work as expected within MC (which is true).

I do not get this warning with Marquee.

If you need any specific help please feel free to mail me.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Thu, Jun 23 2011 6:47 PM In reply to

• Angelos
    • Not Ranked
    • Greece
    • Posts 12
    • Points 190

Thanks for your answer.
    I'm currently looking for a way to convert the fonts to a different encoding that will allow Avid's Title Tool to work with them.
    Marque is not a solution for me since It does not work with greek fonts either.
    I think the problem is that the fonts I'm using are "Windows TrueType Fonts" imported on Mac using FontBook.

If I have any progress I'm going to let everyone know in this post.

Thanks again.

HP z800 Workstastion - Avid MC 5.5.2 Mojo SDI - Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 3 2012 7:56 PM In reply to

• Xenos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 3 2012
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Hello all,

I know this is an old post, but did someone by any chance came up with a solution or a workaround for this problem?

I can't believe there is still no way to write in greek in title tool or marquee tool.

The craziest thing is that I can write in greek when I use subcap effect...

We are coming close to finishing a full length movie and still haven't figured out what to do with the credits so, any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Tue, Sep 4 2012 2:14 PM In reply to

You mean any font?

I can work with Greek fonts fine but those are limited.

And I have seen this with PPro also.

This on the PC side.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(390.77)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2018.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Tue, Sep 4 2012 3:10 PM In reply to

• Xenos
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Hi,

there is absolutely no problem on PCs, Avid recognizes all my greek fonts in title and marquee tools.

The problem occurs only on MAC. It's impossible to write or paste greek in title (or marquee) tool, when I try, it all appears as questionmarks...

What is driving me even more crazy, is the fact that in Subcap effect I can write in greek with absolutely no problem at all.

I've already contacted two other greek editors who work on MAC and they told me that this is an old issue but they still haven't found a solution, however I can't believe it is impossible to write in greek...

• Tue, Sep 4 2012 8:24 PM In reply to

Copy Paste?

Desktop PC

3 Heads Digital Films

• Tue, Sep 4 2012 9:03 PM In reply to

• Xenos
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Nope, I've tried to copy from all kinds of text files, using all kinds of encoding, but as soon as I paste in title tool, everything turns into questionmarks.

Unbelievable...

• Wed, Apr 10 2013 12:04 PM In reply to

• Angelos
    • Not Ranked
    • Greece
    • Posts 12
    • Points 190

I know it's been a long time since I created this thread but there is a workaround.

I've created a Greek keyboard layout specifically for Avid along with an app that you can copy-paste text in Greek.

Both tested and working with Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and MC 6.5.2.

Documentation is included.

I am afraid there is no going to be a new version however since I've stopped the development. If someone wishes to maintain it or come up with something better I could give him instructions and source code.

Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p39fqaut049g3si/GR%20Avid%20v1.0%20beta.dmg?dl=1

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Sat, May 31 2014 8:43 PM In reply to

• split_reel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 15 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

I have the same problems for years trying to write in Ukrainian or Russian. 

I need to retype everything instead of doing copy-paste IN TITLE TOOLS.  Worst Avid problem I ever had. It used to work in the past.

MY AVID IS A MC 6.5.4 ON A MAC OS X 10.7.5

I should have bought Premiere. And Avid does nt care obout this. I went to see the resealler and they do not care.

This is the beginning of Avid's downfall. In Marquee some of the copy paste works but not all caracters are correct.For subtitling I really prefer Title Tools.  I will need to retype 22 pages... Disgusting!

Yurij

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller