Latest post Tue, Aug 2 2011 10:51 AM by switthaus. 115 replies.
Page 7 of 8 (116 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 3 2011 1:40 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,249
    • Points 30,400

Re: Avid Must Act Now

Adobe could be the big winner here...On Tuesday I know I am being handed an eval copy of Premier for potential replacements of the 18 seats of Final Cut and 5 seats of Avid we have at the university (along with FCPX being evaluated).  The integration with PS and AE is intriguing...this should be an interesting summer.  Avid will get the broadcaster FCP group back, more than likely, but the rest of the disgruntled FCPX masses certainly have options.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Sun, Jul 3 2011 2:11 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

That seems to be the rumble on the Apple forums.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Jul 3 2011 6:13 PM In reply to

• sam the sham
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Apple Valley, Ca
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,790

I agree Adobe and Avid will get new customers but right now who is selling tons of editing software, APPLE is.

Apples target audience for $400 can get FCP X, Motion and compressor. Not not a bad deal at all.I'm interested to hear about your evaluation(s).

MC 6.0.3.1 thank you very much, FCP X v.10.2.3, MAC Pro, 2 @ Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.4 GHz,(Westmere),12gb 1066mhz DDR3 ram, ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB. 3@ 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 3 2011 6:28 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

sam the sham:

Apples target audience for $400 can get FCP X, Motion and compressor. Not not a bad deal at all.I'm interested to hear about your evaluation(s).

Well, to begin with, neither Motion 5 or Compressor 4 can import AVCHD camera files, maybe they have to go through FCPx but that would mean a needed unnecessary transcoding before exporting out to Motion or Compressor

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Jul 4 2011 11:07 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,249
    • Points 30,400

switthaus:
    potential replacements of the 18 seats of Final Cut and 5 seats of Avid we have at the university

after reading this, I need to clarify (before Marianna puts a contract out on me):  The Media Composer seats are NOT up for replacement, just our FCP systems based on what I am seeing from FCPX....the above is a total of our systems...

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, Jul 6 2011 9:38 PM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

This thread's been all over the place,  and that is the CORE problem with Avid Marketing-   message failure.  Lack of Focus.

And when the he11 did Avid education get farmed out to the digi campus.   Daly City?   why not Munich,  that's a bit farther from the decision makers,  or perhaps Shanghai.

what IS this about?

E D U C A T I ON ! ! !

The ONLY reason Apple computer exists as a company today is because they offered stupid cheap pricing on their hardware for educational institutions.   So Kids GREW UP learning Mac.   Then they took what they knew, and when they got jobs, ASKED for MAC.   They then got promoted, and then BOUGHT MAC because that's what they knew.

This is the all or nothing moment for Avid's Future.   GET AVID INTO SCHOOLS!  By ANY bloody means possible.   Cheap,  Stupid cheap,  FREE.   Just get kids in college, in High School LEARNING on Avid.  Guess what they will demand their bosses buy in short order?  Media Composer.

It will pay off in spades in a relatively short time.    It saved Apple's bacon.

And for those who have a problem with FREE for schools-  you do know the FCPX cracked version is out there for free, right?   And I'll bet that Apple don't give a rats azz that it is,  he11 they prolly hacked it themselves and pushed out the Torents.

.  School starts 45 days from now.   Do or Die folks

JDS

So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Wed, Jul 6 2011 10:01 PM In reply to

"... The ONLY reason Apple computer exists as a company today is because they offered stupid cheap pricing on their hardware for educational institutions ..."

In 1983, I worked for ComputerLand of Woodland Hills.  I was the Special Projects Manager and Assistant Sales Manager.  Apple had a program named "Kids Can't Wait".  They gave away thousands of systems. Lots of kids learned that Mac rocked back then.

I administrated the program for our store.  I got a free Mac Apple II out of the deal.  BTW, I immediately traded it for a new system we started selling, the IBM PC.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jul 6 2011 10:51 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,384
    • Points 97,000

Randall L Rike:
    I immediately traded it for a new system we started selling, the IBM PC.
    Love it!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 6 2011 11:07 PM In reply to

Doc Avid:
    This thread's been all over the place,  and that is the CORE problem with Avid Marketing-   message failure.  Lack of Focus.

Add to that lack of understanding how the market is shifting. That this is not just a race on price and feature XY and Z but also appeal to an ever growing potential user base.

IHMO it is marketing mediocracy because of elitism. Lisa's reply to your post starting this thread says it all. A standard marketing answer to somebody that has 2 decades of experience in working with and for Avid and many of its mayor clients....

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Jul 6 2011 11:19 PM In reply to

Good news!  Avid has placed the FCP Cross-Grade offer on the front page of www.Avid.com ...Wink

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 12:57 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,321
    • Points 53,415

Maybe a skywriter over Cupertino? i-sore?

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 1:12 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,384
    • Points 97,000

Just been talking to an FCP editor currently working on a feature.  Boy, is she pissed off!  Boy, as a once-was Avid user is she interested in the crossgrade offer!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 1:43 AM In reply to

.- Talking with several potential switchers and angry FCP users, I noticed that one of  their main concerns is if they are gonna be able to use the hardware they already bought for the FCPs. Not the price of the software switch itself.

Have in mind Premiere has the "NOW" advantage on this.

And while PP is less insufferable than FCP, it's still not an Avid.

AH! don't forget  PP can opens FCP projects.

I know Some will move back to Avid and that will really make me a happy camper!!.  More Avid jobs available and, at the same time,  less long and painful "Render Cut Pro" gigs.

(Boy, How I hate to work on that thing!!  But I have to feed my family)

BUT also a lot of them are seriously considering Premiere.

Avid has to move fast and SPEAK LOUD. That is, if they want those ex-FCP users.

P.S.  Even Media100 (Yeah, it still exists) wants a piece!

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 12:31 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

These deals are so good that FCP switches should buy both Avid and Adobe packages, on the Adobe front you get Photoshop and after effects + audition adobe encoder and illustrator (if you can draw)

And Avid users should also buy the adobe deal.

Just need that Avid DS deal to be happy!

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 1:40 PM In reply to

• video652
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Cincinnati, OH
    • Posts 525
    • Points 6,220

I think that there is one important factor that Avid should consider, at least for Educational purpose. They should, in my opinion as an Avid instructor at a High School in Dayton, OH, find a way to bundle the third party software and not make it optional. We really had a hard time without AvidFX trying to create good projects. If it is an option, my school will find a way not to buy it. 

HP Zbook 17 G2. 16gigs of ram, Nvidia k4100m [view my complete system specs]
Page 7 of 8 (116 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller