Latest post Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:38 PM by Job ter Burg. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 15 2011 9:33 AM

problems importing FCP edit in Avid

I am a very inexperienced editor just starting out on Avid

I've been handed a project at work where i will finish a 1,5 hour rough cut made on FCP on a Avid.

Depending on the set i get to work on its MC4.0 or 5.03

The usual editors working on these sets only work with their own material shot on XDcam, so they have no experience importing other EDL's and hardly any experience importing other source material.

I won't start editing this project until end of august, but we started to conduct some test because we anticipate problems..

I've run into two issues:

1)Source material is only available in .mov flies as imported by FCP not in the format originally shot by the camera

They filmed on HQ 1280x 720 50 p

Source material only plays sound and a white screen when imported into Avid. Is this a codec problem?

I've heard it may be fixed by linking the clips with AMA in version 5. Will give this a try monday when the 5.03 set is available.

2) I have trouble importing the edit from FCP. 

The previous editor has made a small EDL to test with , but can only do this by switching the project to a DV project. In the original project in FCP it is only possible to export the edit als an .xml file.  Is it possible to import the edit from an  XML file  in Avid? 

If trying to import the EDL I also run into problems

a) while importing the edl with EDL manager the offline media is shown in the timeline with weird numers. I suspect this is avid's quirk of showing tape names in stead of clipnames.  Is there any way to fix this?

b) I get an exeption stating "sequence or one of its source elements is too long to play"

c) how can i relink media if Avid won't play the mov files properly? Will reencoding the files screw up the ability to relink to the edit?

I know, these are lots of questions.. I am in over my head, and i may not use correct terms for everything because of my ignorance. Sorry about that: I've been thrown in the deep end here... Any help is appreciated!

• Fri, Jul 15 2011 11:30 AM In reply to

• namrbius
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 16 2010
    • Posts 66
    • Points 850

Re: problems importing FCP edit in Avid

To get the project safely into Avid, you should tell your boss to purchase Automatic Duck.  All of your edits and basic effects will transfer perfectly.  

You're getting a white screen w/audio because you don't have the correct codec.  Find out what it is and download the correct one.  If it's in ProRes, you can download the plugin for Windows (I'm assuming your on a PC) from the apple website.  If it's an Apple Intermediate codec, you'll have to transcode all of the media on a Mac to something that's compatible with Media Composer.  As far as I know, you can't work with Apple Intermediate material on Windows.

Custom PC running MC6: ASUS P8Z86-V PRO Motherboard, Intel Core-i7 2600K at 3.4Ghz w/ Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus, Samsung SATA III SSD 60GB, Hitachi 7200RPM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 15 2011 11:36 AM In reply to

NualaSeachild:
    1)Source material is only available in .mov flies as imported by FCP not in the format originally shot by the camera
    This probably means they used some Apple codec. If you're going to be working on a PC, that may not work. On a Mac, you would need to install the codec they used to convert the files to the first time around.

AMA or not, you need that codec. If QT player can't play it, AMA can't.
    NualaSeachild:
    2) I have trouble importing the edit from FCP. 
    Automatic Duck or Boris FCP Transfer is your only answer. Don't waste time trying anything else, it won't work.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 15 2011 2:26 PM In reply to

Open the MOV file in Quicktime Player.   Click on Window-->Movie Inspector.   It will show the format and the codec of the MOV file.  Once you know the codec you're dealing with, you're halfway to solving the problem.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Fri, Jul 15 2011 3:12 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    If QT player can't play it, AMA can't.

Not always true. I've gotten some XDcam EX files that are in an .mp4 wrapper that wouldn't play in QT, but will AMA link and play great in Avid.

Follow me at www.twitter.com/redarrowryan Avid 1- z400 6-Core, with Nitris DX Symphony 6.0.3 Win 7 64 Bit [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 15 2011 3:32 PM In reply to

Automatic ducks the way to go. the only way.

But even then you really need the original media? I can't imagine how anybody could work a post workflow that doesn't save the source content!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:01 PM In reply to

double post removed

Pat Horridge:

I can't imagine how anybody could work a post workflow that doesn't save the source content!

Me neither, but that was done by the FCP editor/director working on the project now. They imported they files from camera into FCP, deleted them from the camera memory stick and started another day of shooting. Go figure!

double post removed

• Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:05 PM In reply to

namrbius:

To get the project safely into Avid, you should tell your boss to purchase Automatic Duck.  All of your edits and basic effects will transfer perfectly.  

Not sure if that's an option. There is no budget alloted to this project and as i said editors here NEVER work with import from elsewhere usually...

namrbius:
    If it's in ProRes, you can download the plugin for Windows (I'm assuming your on a PC) from the apple website. 

Thanks for the codec tips. I am on a PC.

• Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:11 PM In reply to

Before i can even open the file in QT it tells me it needs additional software to play this file.

It then prompts me to go to this page of quicktime components http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html?os=Windows&ctype=696d6463&csubtype=78647661

But i have no idea which one of those i need to play the file...since i can't acces the movie inspector.

• Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:13 PM In reply to

Wow the responde to this is great!

Thanks for all the input guys. I will sort out and try out all the advice given this monday, when i have acces to the correct set.

I may conduct some test on a friends set this weekend if i have the time.

• Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:34 PM In reply to

mr_difficult:

Job ter Burg:
    If QT player can't play it, AMA can't.

Not always true. I've gotten some XDcam EX files that are in an .mp4 wrapper that wouldn't play in QT, but will AMA link and play great in Avid.

Thing is: then you're not using the AMA QT plugin, but the AMA Sony plugin. Media from FCP is likely to be converted to QT and then will need a QT codec.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 15 2011 7:38 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    Automatic ducks the way to go. the only way.
    Safe for Boris AAF Transfer.
    NualaSeachild:

namrbius:

Not sure if that's an option.

Then be prepared to spend many hours manually rebuilding the sequences. You may get the EDL route to work, but it's going to take many hours to make sure that the AMA-linked FCP media will have source tape entries, and these will then need to match the sequence EDL. That time is likely to cost more than the few hundred bucks for Boris Transfer or Automatic Duck.
    NualaSeachild:
    Before i can even open the file in QT it tells me it needs additional software to play this file.
    Just cancel the message prompting you to find the right codec. From the white QT window, open the movie inspector. It's likely to be ProRes or some Apple flavor of XD/IMX/DVCPROHD (the latter codecs are not available on Win unless you use Calibrated's plugins).
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller