Latest post Fri, Jul 22 2011 5:47 PM by jlwalsh. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 22 2011 10:55 AM

Assistant Editor roles and responsibilties

I've just taken on the role of Asst Editor on a major UK TV show starting in 9 days using Avid. I've never used Avid but have 10 years experience editing in FCP. Sounds a bit mad to take such a position but having been looking for a "way in" to TV work for a long time with little success I just couldnt turn down the opportunity.

Can anyone outline the responsibilities of an Asst Editor in Avid, workflows (using HDcam-Tape) links to relevant tutorials etc? Any help at all would be very, very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

MR

• Fri, Jul 22 2011 11:01 AM In reply to

Re: Assistant Editor roles and responsibilties

Hi,

In a very general sense, the assistant editor captures material and organizes it for the editor.  How that's going to work in the production you're working on is going to be hard for anyone outside the production to answer.  Maybe the HDCAM machine is in the same room as the edit suite, or maybe it's in a machine room.  Maybe your editor will only want bins full of material, or maybe they'll want sequences of everything, or maybe they'll want sequences of the best takes only.  Hopefully all of this will be explained to you early in the process.

In the meantime, have a look at the Media Composer getting started tutorials, which will help you get familiar with the interface and the general workflow:

http://www.avid.com/US/resources/media-composer-5-getting-started-training

ciao,
    Carl

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jul 22 2011 12:28 PM In reply to

Hi MR

Wow that's a brave move!

Contact VET (www.vet.co.uk) and speak to training. We do a new Avid Ingest and export course which is specifically aimed at some of the Avid tasks you'll be expected to know.

Good luck.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jul 22 2011 3:08 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,241
    • Points 15,680
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Matt -- Awesome of you to overreach.  I dig it when folks lie, and then work their asses off to turn the lie into a truth before anyone notices.  I did the same thing and it got me a gig that landed Spielberg's attention.  Very cool -- but now it's on you to make it happen!

Every Assistant Editor role is different because of the diverse needs of the Editor and/or the production.  So go to the meetings early.  Bring notes and transcribe everything they say.  If you need assistance while on the gig, please post it here or email me directly through my website AlwaysEditing.com

And don't worry much -- Media Composer may look crazy complex at first but you'll only be using at max 20% of its power in the Assistant's chair.

Good luck!

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Fri, Jul 22 2011 5:47 PM In reply to

• jlwalsh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 11 2011
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing - 3 weeks into the edit now!

Honestly didn't find instructional videos that helpful - I installed the 30 day trial at home, got some media from an old project and messed around doing typical assistant-style tasks I would do in FCP, most fundamental topics to get done in my opinion are:

0) Understanding the 'Media Creation' tool (Scratch disk settings in FCP)

1) Add clips to a project using import and AMA and understand the difference between them (Import = avid specific, AMA = FCP method pretty much)

1b) Capture media from a tape 

2) Consolidate media from one drive to another (Media Manager, kinda)

3) Select/delete/consolidate clips/precomputes using Media Tool (Precomputes = render files, this has no FCP equivalent)

4) Roundtrip an ALE file to excel (Batch Lists in FCP, very helpful for tape formats)

5) Transfer a Bin from one project to another (All done at OS level in Avid)

6) Export a low res reference file with BITC

Bonus points -  some random stuff that caught me out at first...

1) Set up the colour correction Toolset to display scopes

2) Set up the Full Screen Playback toolset so it displays on your second monitor as default

3) Mix frame rates on the timeline and add effects to both of them (Takes some fiddling with the Motion Effects Editor tool)

And get really really fast at using google Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller