Latest post Wed, Mar 14 2012 1:02 AM by Larry Rubin. 79 replies.
Page 2 of 6 (80 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 8 2011 11:58 PM In reply to

• Angelos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 7 2006
    • Greece
    • Posts 12
    • Points 190

Re: OS LION X NOT YET QUALIFIED

Ken Conrad:

why is everyone in such a hury to upgrade to a new OS?

Sure thing Ken,

Why not first check if Avid is suitable with OS updates (some critical) and then update?

I can't believe some of you guys. If an update is available then I will update. I have no reason not to do it.

Checking in every app's forum for incompatibilities is not an option for me.

Especially for expensive apps that I DEMAND to work as supposed.

After Lion EVERYTHING from Adobe Photoshop to Keka worked as expected. Only 1 app didn't work. You guess!

Before you Avid supporters (like me) try to repeat yourselfs i will tell you since I am a developer as well that the purpose of Beta OS releases is for developers to make their programs compatible as soon as the final release is out. Waiting for the final release is an excuse that simply makes everyone laugh. And please don't tell us you want stability. If i miss something in Avid all these years is... stability!!!

You make your people mad, you make them want to leave!!

Another mad avid supporter that can't support Avid anymore.

HP z800 Workstastion - Avid MC 5.5.2 Mojo SDI - Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 9 2011 12:50 AM In reply to

Angelos:
    After Lion EVERYTHING from Adobe Photoshop to Keka worked as expected
    Gee a dickie little single image manipulating program not needing IO's etc and where the whole image fits into RAM works! Zippedy doo da.

Oh and it works for opening and saving a few long established file formats it works with. A great bench mark to use when deciding that Avid should also be working in the same time scale.

By the way why does any OS need 4 major versions changes, each with at least 6 variants, all messing around with core functionality since the initial (OSX) release.

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 12:51 AM In reply to

Angelos:
    If an update is available then I will update. I have no reason not to do it.

I can think of one good reason not to update... it will break the current shipping version of Avid.  

Angelos:
    Checking in every app's forum for incompatibilities is not an option for me.

So, installing, then learning of the incompatibility, then troubleshooting, then uninstalling, then re-installing the approved OS is a better option?

Angelos:
    the purpose of Beta OS releases is for developers to make their programs compatible as soon as the final release is out.

True, but stuff does happen.  OS 10.6.8 was apparently fine in the pre-releases that Avid tested with, the public release however breaks something with the DX hardware compatibility.  That is why Avid waits until the OS is public before making a final push on the testing/qualification.  

But, being that FCpX supports Lion you could always opt for using that if maintaining the current OS is more important to you than maintaining a working NLE.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 12:55 AM In reply to

brainburst:
    Does Avid expect users to go out and buy used computers in order to run Avid software?

I don't understand, why must you get a used computer in order to run OS 10.6.7?  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 2:03 AM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

Just for those of you who feel that when a new upgrade is available - you must upgrade... the real question is, what exactly does upgrading do for you? What are the advantages of the new OS? Despite the below benchmark - this is what apple says it gives.

BENCHMARK 

Upgrading just because an upgrade is available or just because the 'newest' OS is available is the most ridiculous reason to upgrade. I find that upgrading because I get some advantage is a good reason... if all of my applications are working on the old OS - why would I upgrade the OS? 

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 4:23 PM In reply to

Because all new Apple computers come with minmum of 10.6.8 now. We have a few hundred students coming in the fall. Many will be purcahsing new computers. MC is unstable on 10.6.8
    Not supporting 10.6.8 is pretty sorry.

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 9 2011 4:32 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,870

Copies of lower versions of Snow Leopard are available. Make a new partition for the proper version, problem solved.  The question remains, do you want it to just work, or do you want it to work properly.  Lesson 1 of being a professional is to know your software and equipment.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 9 2011 5:11 PM In reply to

Being a professional Softare company means being up to date with an already established OS.
    Yes I know the work around. DUH! So are you going to help me use this procedure with a few hunded students' new computers? Just so they can run Avid Software? No they'll buy FCPX against our advice, because at least it works. Avid is a stupid stupid company.

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 9 2011 5:41 PM In reply to

brainburst:
    they'll buy FCPX against our advice, because at least it works

If you setup the courses so that they'll have to perform tasks typical of any professional level software, (collaboration, EDLs, etc), those FCX's will lose their lustre fast.  

By the way, if you're not running any DX hardware, the 10.6.8 OS release seems to work just fine.  A guy here accidentally updated one of the Avid's to 10.6.8 and it wouldn't boot up, I shut down the computer and unplugged the NitrisDX and everything worked fine.  When we had some downtime, I had him re-install 10.6.7 on the machine and we never missed a beat.

It's not qualified by Avid yet because it doesn't officially work without issue on software only & DX hardware.  

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 6:42 PM In reply to

brainburst:
    So are you going to help me use this procedure with a few hundred students' new computers? Just so they can run Avid Software?

In the world of professional editing, and I presume your students study to become professionals, it has always been about getting the job done. I've never met any professional that wants to experiment taking the risk of the job not getting done... the job that also feeds him/her and his/her family. Therefor the professional will look at functional needs and not if his software is the latest version.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 9:55 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,268
    • Points 218,980
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

brainburst:

Because all new Apple computers come with minmum of 10.6.8 now. We have a few hundred students coming in the fall. Many will be purcahsing new computers. MC is unstable on 10.6.8
    Not supporting 10.6.8 is pretty sorry.

Brainburst....

Hear you loud and clear.  WE know 10.6.8 was buggy so Apple has released an update to that which we are testing across all Mac config's.  It shoud be soon and well before classes even start.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 9:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,268
    • Points 218,980
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Everyone...

Let's step back - take a deep breath - and then post if necessary.  Both sides of the situation have good points but there wouldnt be the need for the thread if we got the softwre quicker and we were able to test it faster.

Working on it... not much mroe I can say to that but we do expect compatiblity with new OS in the enxt week or 2.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Aug 10 2011 6:18 PM In reply to

• Angelos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 7 2006
    • Greece
    • Posts 12
    • Points 190

Problem seems to be solved after 10.7.2 update. At least the PLAY issue is gone.
    You have to be a developer though to access the update. Confused
    So for everyone else you have to wait for the Public Release of 10.7.2 or the new version from Avid.

HP z800 Workstastion - Avid MC 5.5.2 Mojo SDI - Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 10 2011 6:28 PM In reply to

• Tim Schultz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 12 2008
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 820

I just wanted to post a thank you to Marianna for being the greatest person ever. She is always looking out for us customers and works her tail off trying to make us happy. Despite the fact that us Avid fanboys are a whiney group, I hope Marianna and all the moderators know how much we appreceate them. Thanks guys!

Haswell-E 5960x OC, Asus x99-Deluxe with Thunderbolt II, 32gb DDR4 RAM, Nvidia Titan X, 24tb Raid 6 internal. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 10 2011 6:34 PM In reply to

Tim Schultz:

I just wanted to post a thank you to Marianna for being the greatest person ever. She is always looking out for us customers and works her tail off trying to make us happy. Despite the fact that us Avid fanboys are a whiny group, I hope Marianna and all the moderators know how much we appreciate them. Thanks guys!

You're quite welcome Tim, and on behalf of all of us, thank YOU for the vote of confidence!Yes

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 2 of 6 (80 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller