Latest post Sun, Jul 31 2011 5:59 AM by Igor Ridanovic. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 31 2011 5:59 AM

Avid DS Topographic Modeling and Stereoscopic Animation Pt 1 of 2

It's remarkably easy to create and animate 3D terrain in Avid DS, even without advanced 3D skills. Is the geometry accurate? Kind of, but not really. The elevation scaling is distorted so I wouldn't use this technique for creating litigation videos, but it's not that bad for any other use. Another note, DS 3D DVE is only 8-bit which will affect the elevation precision as well as color shading. Rendering is pretty fast.

Although this is all pretty easy, the tutorial is kind of long and split into two parts. The first part focuses on modeling and animation. The second part is dedicated to stereoscopic settings.

I used a third party software to prepare the elements for the tutorial. It is not necessary to use it, but it will simplify the process tenfold. Without it you will need to download color maps and elevation data sets from the very arcane USGS website. I recommend you download a trial copy of Global Mapper instead.

Sample maps used for this tutorial are available for download at HDhead.com.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

Filed under: , ,
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller