Latest post Mon, Aug 8 2011 12:29 AM by Randall L. Rike. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 8 2011 12:04 AM

Wow, how cool is that?

I wanted to share about a project I've been working on.  As many of you know I'm on the Board of Trustees for a church & orphanage in Lusaka, Zambia.  I'm the Director of Media & Technical, USA.  In that role, I research and procure anything technical, but mostly production & post production equipment & systems.

Over the last 10 years, I've been able to acquire and set up 4 x Avid Media Composer systems.  These are xw8400's and xw8600's, with Mojo Analog and Mojo SDI's, running MC v5.5, Sapphire v3.0, BCC v7.0 and Squeeze v7.0.  On my last trip there in March 2011, I networked the systems together, so they can share files, and avoid thumb drives, etc.

We have a huge library of Digital Juice assets, and other resources, that would be far easier used if on shared storage.  In my fantasy, we get a MediaNet v5.0 system there, but I digress.

I built a NetGear ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 x 2TB drives. This yields 5.5TB's RAID-5 protected storage.  Using a software application, Alcohol 120%, I converted 300+ DVD's into ISO images, and catalogued them on the NAS.  Alcohol 120% also loads a driver that adds an additional option to the Right-Click menu, "Mount Image".  So, once you know the ISO volume you need, you just locate it, right click on it, and in a few seconds the ISO is mounted as a virtual DVD, and the Digital Juice utility, Juicer, is happy.

Meanwhile, I also have 30+ hours of NTSC footage that I shot while there in 2003.  Now that MC can have both NTSC and PAL on the same timeline, this footage has suddenly become more valuable to my team in Zambia.  While there last March we tested this, and it worked very well.

So, my next project was to Capture all the tapes for them, and also load those onto the NAS.  Mapping a network drive makes the folder appear as the root-level of the volume (an Avid requirement).  Then, using the "alldrives" command in the Console, all the media immediately came online.

The cool part is that the media plays back off the NAS.  Yes, it's only DV25, but hey, it's also only Gig-E connected.  My intention isn't to play back shared media this way.  This is just for a footage bank and backup.  They can import/Transcode the media to their local drives for optimal playback.  Many of the Digital Juice files can be AMA-linked as well.

Well, that's what I've been working on.  Next time one of our partners heads over to Lusaka, I'll hand them the NAS to take with them.  The infrastructure is in place there, and I even sent them all new Gig-E switches, CAT-6, etc, so they should have pretty good speed between the systems.  Once it's up & running I'll post again.

... and if anyone is decommissioning a MN v5.0 system, I can provide a 501(c)(3) tax receipt ....Hmm

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Aug 8 2011 12:07 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,268
    • Points 218,980
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Wow, how cool is that?

That is soooooooooooo cool. :)

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 8 2011 12:29 AM In reply to

Re: Wow, how cool is that?

Thanks, and for those who are interested, it's already up to 2.1TB's of content.  Whoo hoo!

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller