Latest post Fri, Aug 19 2011 2:34 PM by MichaelP. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 9 2011 3:19 PM

• Due South Films
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 11 2010
    • Christchurch, New Zealand
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285

Latest Alexa Workflow-24.00p All The Way

Hi All,

We are just about to start shooting & cutting a 90 minute feature using Alexa so I just wanted to check I had my workflow down correctly. This is for my own sanity & for anyone who is going for theatrical release at the end of production. This is a collation of what I have researched so far, so please be gentle!

Alexa shoots 24.00 & Dual system sound recorded 24p 48kHz.

Alexa shoots 3K ProRes444 Full Frame via SxS cards.

Follow media back up procedure.

Offline/Online Workflow-

1. Ingest into Avid 1080 24p 35mm 4-perf project. 
    2. Import PR444 into Avid via AMA.
    3. Transcode to DnxHD36 for offline.
    4. Move transcoded clips to a new bin for Offline/close AMA bin & do not touch.
    5. Import BWAV-P files from Sound Dept.
    6. Sync up sound with clapper to DNxHD36 clips. Make offline then delete extra tracks if you just want to work with a stereo pair. Then relink to media. This allows match frame back to audio stems recorded on location.
    7. Happy days- Edit starts & the end result is an award winning film.
    8. Picture Lock.
    9. Reels no longer than 20 minutes if possible. 2 second pips top and tail.
    10. Remove MXF files for transcoded clips from MXF folder then relink sequence back to 3K ProRes444 clips. 
    11. Filmscribe for XML out(?) or EDL using File16 feature(?) for the conform & grade.
    12. Audio exported as AAF or EDL after going through & making all the audio stems for the clips used available?

I have probably forgotten something important like the fact I work in PAL land but only want a true 24.00p workflow so will monitor via 24p plasma. Any suggestions as to whether I use Alexicc to add burnt in data for daileys and the offline? The burnt in code is always helpful to those ho need to conform etc.

That's it so I look forward to your helpful comments.

Many thanks

Scott

MacBook Pro i7, MacPro 2 x 2.66, 40GB Ram, GTX670 2GB, 16TB Xserve Active Raid over Dual Fibre & Fast Ethernet.32TB TB2 ARRAY,AJA LHi, BMD MINI-MONITOR... [view my complete system specs]

www.duesouthfilms.co.nz DUE SOUTH FILMS A Film & Television Company

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 3:36 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,305
    • Points 40,020

Re: Latest Alexa Workflow-24.00p All The Way

ShadowPost:
    Remove MXF files for transcoded clips from MXF folder then relink sequence back to 3K ProRes444 clips. 

Where do you expect to do this?  MC does not support 3K at this time.  Are you planning on finishing in MC or another app?

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 3:47 PM In reply to

• Due South Films
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285

jef:

ShadowPost:
    Remove MXF files for transcoded clips from MXF folder then relink sequence back to 3K ProRes444 clips. 

Where do you expect to do this?  MC does not support 3K at this time.  Are you planning on finishing in MC or another app?

Jef

We wont be finishing in MC. No 2K support for that.

Still negotiating the post finishing deal so keeping options open. Workflow needs to be as open as possible. I am planning to confirm that MC will read the Alexa files when I get the test shoot rushes next week. Linking back to the original AMA files before export was to obviously reference those clips when it is conformed via whatever finishing tool is chosen.

MacBook Pro i7, MacPro 2 x 2.66, 40GB Ram, GTX670 2GB, 16TB Xserve Active Raid over Dual Fibre & Fast Ethernet.32TB TB2 ARRAY,AJA LHi, BMD MINI-MONITOR... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 9:03 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Will the ProRes 444 have a LogC applied? If so, you need to decide whether you make dailies outside the system with a LUT to bring it to REC709 or edit with "washed" out lookng images and apply a color effect in the sequence.

Assuming there is common timeode on Alexa and double system audio recorder, you can do an AutoSync of all the common dailies in one pass, and in the process choose to sync with only the mix track from the multitrack BWF file.

Also be sure to work with those responsible for the online as to what they expect as the source REEL in EDL's and such. AMA does not read the REEL in the QuickTime as a source ID. AMA uses the entire source filename.

Other than that, it's pretty straighforward. Being 24.000 be sure to create a 1080p/24 project.

Michael

24p.com

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 9:28 PM In reply to

• Due South Films
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285

Hi Michael,

Yes it will be LogC & the fastest route will be using a colour effect on an empty track for viewings. Cutting LogC as is isn't a problem for me given the budget & time constraints. 

Good call regarding syncing Alexa & sound on first pass.

And yes I shall be ensuring source names are correct using a File16 EDL. Check, check & check again.

Thanks for your input.

Scott

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 9:43 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
      Avid Employee

I believe the Arri filenames are longer than 16 characters. EDL Manager does provide for a 32 character source as well for other camera formats such as SI 2K and Alexa, etc. Be sure to add that to your check, check, & check again process.

Michael

24p.com

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 9:51 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,305
    • Points 40,020

ShadowPost:
    Alexa shoots 3K ProRes444 Full Frame via SxS cards.

Something just dawned on me.  Where are you getting this spec?  As I understand, the Alexa only shoots 1920 x 1080 to ProRes444.  To go larger, you must be shooting ArriRaw.  And that is a totally different workflow.  I did a quick check on the Alexa website and see no info to the contary.

Confused.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 11:15 PM In reply to

• Due South Films
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285

Good question & I'm now emailing DOP to see if we are dual recording. He did say he was shooting 3K so I have to assume that is the case. The files I get then will be 1920x1080. I wont need ProRes444 so might opt for a less intensive ProRes codec.

If we are conforming back to the ArriRAW files (which is almost definitely) then I will still keep this workflow. A list for file based media is a list. The ProRes files will be my proxy link to the ArriRAW files. Just need to find the most effective way using Avid for the craft edit. And exactly what it is that's doing the conform.

Please tell me I'm not barking up an errant tree!

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 11:47 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

If he really is shooting ARRIRAW and will conform in this format outside of the Avid world, then for offline, you should get ProRes (maybe LT or Proxy) with Rec709 in the SxS cards.

- Oliver

• Tue, Aug 9 2011 11:59 PM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
      Avid Employee

And if he really really is shooting ArriRAW, then I would suggest using a codex digtial and making MXF/DNxHD directly like 36 and not deal with any of QT and Pro Res and AMA or not AMA type questions. Perhaps in the latest firmware release, the proxy file from the SxS crds match the ArriRAW files for a seamless conform. But earlier versions did not. I would check on that and confirm.

Michael

24p.com

• Wed, Aug 10 2011 4:08 AM In reply to

• Due South Films
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285

ProResLT may be the order of the day.

Thanks.

• Wed, Aug 10 2011 10:57 AM In reply to

• Due South Films
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285

Sound advice thanks Michael.

Looks like we are shooting ProRes444 only for a 2K 2.35 out so the workflow should work fine with the caveats provided by the other users of this forum. The DOP insisted he was shooting 3K which he is in camera but it is scaled down to 1920x1080.

• Wed, Aug 10 2011 1:51 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,305
    • Points 40,020

ShadowPost:
    The DOP insisted he was shooting 3K which he is in camera but it is scaled down to 1920x1080.

That is a bit like saying, "I am shooting IMAX for a VHS release."  Smile   Just kidding.  So you are back to your original workflow I believe.

2K 2.35 - is it going to be lensed anamorphic?  1920x1080 is 1.78.  If it is anamorphic or cropped, viewing that during offline and screenings will be something to consider.

Good luck,

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Wed, Aug 10 2011 3:23 PM In reply to

• Due South Films
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285

Yes indeed, the 3K confused me too Geeked

We aren't shooting anamorphic for budgetary reasons unfortunately, but hey, at least we're making a movie. 2.35 mask on a 1920x1080 source. Will test workflow & viewing/screening issues then.

Fingers crossed and a big thanks once again to all those who contributed to this post.

Scott

• Fri, Aug 19 2011 6:09 AM In reply to

Michael,

It would be great if you guys did an Avid Alexa workflow video like the one for RED. Coming from FCP, that was trememdously helpful to get up and running on a RED feature.

MC 6.5.0.3 • Mac Pro 4,1 • OS 10.8.3 • 12GB RAM • GeForce GT 120 • Matrox MXO2 Mini. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller