Latest post Sat, Aug 20 2011 12:03 AM by hbrock. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 18 2011 11:04 PM

• heiner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 9 2009
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Audio keeps going offline

Forgive me I am somewhat new...In my current project I am working with P2 mxf files. In order to accommodate more footage I bought a new internal drive and installed it in my macpro and then copied the AvidMediaFiles folder over to the newly installed drive. The files were all MXF files.

Once they made it over. I changed the name of the old media files folder on the old drive (will delete once everything is ironed out) and launched MC. The video made it but the audio did not. Couldn't figure out why it was offline. I thought all the media files were in the MXF folders that I had moved over to the new drive? The original P2 files associated with this project did not change drives. They remain on the old drive. Didn't think they needed to be moved as well. I tried to relink, but to no avail. Perhaps I wasn't relinking properly?

When I started the project the other night, I imported the footage via the "Import P2 clips to bin" route. Then after reading up a bit on the DNxHD codecs, I decided to transcode the clips to DNxHD 90x. Those are the clips I am editing with. Once I transcoded them the media was online and ready to go even after closing MC. The original clips would go offline but the transcoded clips remained online.

Now only the video is online. No audio. The only thing that seemed to work was to re-import P2 clips to bin. Once I had re-imported the files from the original P2 media, the transcoded clips had their audio back. Then I got rid of the duplicate DVCPRO HD files I had just re-imported and the transcoded clips remained online, as well as the original DVCPRO HD files I had previously imported. I thought I was good to go. Then to make sure, I exited the project and shut down MC. Then relaunched and the audio is offline AGAIN. What can I do to keep the audio online so that I don't have to keep re-importing clips to bin every time I open the project to edit??

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Many thanks!

MacPro OSX 10.5.8, dual 2.66, 6GB ram, MC 3.1

• Sat, Aug 20 2011 12:03 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Audio keeps going offline

Did you try relinking the clips to the Avid MediaFiles folder on the new drive?  To do so, make sure the original P2 media is offline and then select the clips and/or sequence and try to do a relink.  If the orignal P2 media can still be found, the relink won't work.

Here's what happens with P2:

Your original clips come into a bin via P2 import.....  They are linked to the original files.

Whan you import clips to bin, you're copying the P2 MXF files into the Avid MediaFiles folder.  You use the new clips for editing and as long as your Avid MediaFiles folder is available, you don't have to worry about the original files unless you want to access them using the same P2 import process again.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller