Latest post Mon, Dec 18 2017 3:12 PM by Westcity. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 30 2011 7:21 AM

Avid to Resolve - "Timecode extents doesn't match"

Hi there,

Working on nailing down the workflow for going from MC to Resolve and back. I've got a tapeless job that has been transcoded to MXF for editing speed. I export an .AAF from MC, consolidating the media to a new drive and linking to those new files in the .AAF

Going into Resolve, the AAF is imported, but for almost every clip, the error message appearss:

"The clip "" can't be linkg to the media file "(mxf file name goes here)" because the timecode extents doesn't match.

I've tried a slew of configuration options both in creating the .AAF as well as adjusting Resolve settings, trying to get something to work. I've scoured the internet, and have found others with this same issue, but have not found any resolution.

Anyone have any thoughts?

For what it's worth, I can see all of the clips in the master timeline scroll bar at the bottom of the conform window, but only a couple of the clips show up in the track layer window (I'd say about 3 out of 100 in my test file).

Is it an Avid setting I'm missing, or a Resolve issue?

Thanks for any input.

• Sat, Dec 31 2011 2:19 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,250
    • Points 39,450

Re: Avid to Resolve - "Timecode extents doesn't match"

I have run into this as well.  Been awhile.  Memory tells me that it was the settings in Resolve that needed tweaked.  And I believe (don't hold me to it) that it had to do with some of the several places you deal with DropFrame code in the various Resolve menus.

Also, I think you want to have the edit protocol button selected when you make the AAF in Avid.  I think ...

You might try the Creative Cow DaVinci forum.  Seems to be the Resolve gathering place.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Jan 3 2012 7:39 AM In reply to

• convan23
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 6 2010
    • Posts 28
    • Points 380

Hey, just had this issue my self. My bet is that there's something you need to clean up on your Avid timeline or something that needs to be done within Avid, although I'm really not sure.

For me, I had multicam edits in my Avid timeline that I needed to be committed, which you can do by right-clicking your sequence and clicking Commit Multicam Edits. Voila, everything relinked for me up perfect (everything you described is exactly what I was experiencing in resolve - the lack of a clip name inside the first qoutations and not all of the clips showing in the track layer window. Also, I condensed everything down to one video track in Avid (although that didn't fix the issue, I guess it could've contributed to it, but I doubt it).

MC 6.5 | Intel Core i7 950 - 3.07GHz - OC 4.0GHZ | 16GB Ram | Nvidia GTX 660ti | SSD + Velocirapter [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 3 2012 5:48 PM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been trying them all without much success. After trying to dig deeper, I've come up with some clues, but no solutions.

It seems like it has something to do with the Avid transcoding process. Here's what I mean - after a mind-number attempts at figuring this out:

OPTION 1: Make .AAF from a timeline that uses direct AMA links to footage. I consolidate the footage onto a new media drive and make the AMA, all from the AMA export setting window. RESULT - All of the clips link up and display correctly in Resolve.

OPTION 2: Make .AAF from a timeline that uses previously transcoded footage (done so for the sake of speed in editing, since AMA was doggedly slow and painful to work with on large timelines). Using the same settings as Option 1 above, the RESULT - timecode extent errors, source reel errors, and random missing clips in Resolve.

So, to the best of what I can decipher, Avid is stripping away data, changing, or otherwise doing something to clips when they are transcoded from AMA (original material includes P2, Arri Alexa, Canon 5D). It doesn't create errors when working in Avid... but wreaks havok when going into Resolve in terms of the clip data lost.

The only solution I can see at this point would be to manually re-insert AMA clips, but that would be a nightmare.

Thoughts anyone?

• Tue, Jan 3 2012 6:01 PM In reply to

• Andrew McKee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 27 2011
    • Manchester, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Points 1,475
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Just a thought, previous versions of resolve to the most current one required an extra payment of about $500 in order to allow access and creation of Avid codecs. Could it be that you cannot access any transocded footage because you don't have this licence and can only access the AMAd footage in its native codec? If so, you could try either linking your sequence back to the orginal files via AMA or updating your resolve.

iMac 3.4Ghz i7 16GB Ram 10.8.0, MBP 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB Ram 10.8.0 [view my complete system specs]

Andrew McKee

Editor/Colourist

Avid Certified Instructor - MC6

Apple Certified Trainer - FCPX

• Tue, Jan 3 2012 6:56 PM In reply to

• convan23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 28
    • Points 380

My process on resolve 8.1 was taking the AMA'd sequence in Avid, transcoding just that sequence, then creating an AAF to go into Resolve. If I skip the transcoding step, I have a combination of either relink issues, timeline extent issues, or clips not showing up right in the timeline. With transcoding, everything works okay, but I haven't yet been able to get round trip back to Avid working. I like that the new Resolve supports MXF out of the box, just wish that the round tripping process was a bit more transparent.

MC 6.5 | Intel Core i7 950 - 3.07GHz - OC 4.0GHZ | 16GB Ram | Nvidia GTX 660ti | SSD + Velocirapter [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 3 2012 7:09 PM In reply to

• Andrew McKee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 27 2011
    • Manchester, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Points 1,475
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

I've done tests myself with Resolve lite and it's roundtripped perfectly and I also just did an entire feature film going to a colourist with the full version, although I've not had that back yet. I found that AAFs that linked to current media or created a folder of new media worked fine, but one that embedded the footage in the AAF didn't. Possibly it is a pulldown or or dropframe issue for you as everything I do is nice and easy 25p.

iMac 3.4Ghz i7 16GB Ram 10.8.0, MBP 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB Ram 10.8.0 [view my complete system specs]

Andrew McKee

Editor/Colourist

Avid Certified Instructor - MC6

Apple Certified Trainer - FCPX

• Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:47 PM In reply to

• lumiere
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 23 2011
    • Posts 43
    • Points 395

I have the exact same issue here - any progress on this?

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 5:30 PM In reply to

lumiere:

I have the exact same issue here - any progress on this?

I am trying to get in touch with those from Resolve for clues, but nothing yet. I'll keep you posted if I find anything new. It's a pretty deflating situation.

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:17 AM In reply to

• convan23
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 28
    • Points 380

Got the error on another project. This time I did a straight from AMA export - I didn't transcode my sequence before exporting the AAF. I was able to fix the problem in Davinci by loading the clips into the media pool manually first, then not selecting the automatically connect clips option in the load AAF dialog. I believe that DaVinci was not reconnecting the clips properly on its own.

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:40 AM In reply to

• mjordan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Posts 11
    • Points 165

Just wanted to jump in here and say I'm seeing a similar problem, if not the same one.

Cutting a 720p23.976 project in MC6.  Cut with AMA-linked XDCAM EX footage, then transcoded the sequence to DNxHD with 2-second handles for each clip.

In MC6, the transcoded clips show the correct timecode and agree with the AAF imported in to Resolve.  But the same transcoded clips in Resolve's Media Pool show DIFFERENT timecode than in the Avid bin.

In Resolve, my settings for TC are to use TC embedded in the clip, calculated at 24fps.

Here's a (terrible) picture of the problem:

http://i.imgur.com/C1Q1N.gif

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit / Mac OS X Lion, Intel Core i7 870 @ 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GTX 560Ti, Nvidia GTX 460 SE, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB HDD [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 13 2013 2:09 PM In reply to

• DMcQuinn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 23 2011
    • Posts 5
    • Points 85

Okay, in Resolve Project Settings, I deselected "Assist using reel names from the:" and it finally imported my Avid AAF. I didn't trancode my Avid media--I just exported my sequence that included only AMA clips.

Hope this helps!

Dave

• Mon, Aug 5 2013 1:53 AM In reply to

• Walter Riggi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • windsor, ontario canada
    • Posts 150
    • Points 1,885

I am using Sony XDCAM EX footage in MC7 (AMA linked) and exporting as AAF with AAF edit protocol enabled.

Black clips, "timecode extents do not match"

Searched on Blackmagic's website and this is what I found.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=386

Hope this helps you all... it solved my problem...

Mac OS X 10.11.6 | 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon | 24 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA K5000 4GB | AVID C|24 Console | AVID Media Composer 8.8.5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 18 2017 3:12 PM In reply to

• Westcity
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 15 2008
    • Posts 80
    • Points 1,135

Just wanted to add a +1.  this has been driving us crazy and all the manuals say to check the "assist using reel names box."

Sony XAVC rushes from Resolve to DNXHD; edited in MC; export AAF back to resolve and want to relink to orginal camera files (already in media bin) NOT to the transcodes.  Only by deselecting the Assist box could we get that to happen.  Weird.  But it worked this time after many failed attempts to follow the written instructions. 

MacBook Pro and iMac BMD extreme card and minimonitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller