Latest post Thu, Mar 22 2012 11:35 PM by dmcondolora. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 22 2012 12:38 AM

23.98 to 24 Frame Rate Conversion

Hi Avid Community,

I have a 23.976 QuickTime and AAF that I am bringing into Avid. When I do, Avid converts the QuickTime, adding a duplicate frame of video every 1000 frames. When I open the AAF, it asks me if I'd like to change the frame rate, and I say "yes". I then open the new 24 fps sequence, and a process similar to that of the QT conversion has occurred, with Avid extending clip lengths or adding audio filler every 1000 frames.

Essentially, Avid is preserving the duration by adding frames and filler to the QuickTime and sequences. I don't care if the duration changes; rather, my desired behavior is for both the QuickTime and the AAF to be conformed to 24fps. The duration of both would change, but the timing between clips and the number of frames in the video file would remain the same.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

- David

• Thu, Mar 22 2012 1:46 AM In reply to

Re: 23.98 to 24 Frame Rate Conversion

The QT video can be, by importing a video-only version of it and using the Console command "IgnoreQTrate True" prior to doing so.

The audio of the QT file, try this... http://24p.com/AvidInsider2.htm

This is one of those questions that Michael Phillips talents are sorely missed.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 22 2012 6:50 AM In reply to

What Dom said. And note that IgnoreQTRate only works if you first strip off the audio.

Or, if you want to use AMA, type 'SetAMAQTForcedFrameRate true 24.000' (where '24.000' can be any frame rate you want to force it to), then AMA-link to the file, then transcode if you like. Doesn't matter if you have audio or not for this command, except that the audio will not be converted, so everything will run out of sync.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 22 2012 9:33 PM In reply to

Thank you! 'IgnoreQTRate' seems promising, especially the AMA-variant (although it would be nice if the audio was sped up as well).

However, I thought I should provide a bit of clarification for the AAF part of the question. I'm working with an AAF that was sent to me at a duration of 1:38:03 (mm:ss:ff) at 23.976. When I bring the AAF into my 24fps Avid project, it displays the duration of the embedded sequence as 1:38:01—the duration of the 23.976 sequence conformed to 24 fps. Perfect! That's exactly what I want. However, when I open it, it asks to convert it to 24, and the duration of the new 24fps sequence is 1:38:03. To accomplish that, Avid has added frames of filler and/or extended the length of clips by 1 frame.

I just want to open the 1:38:01 sequence and have it stay 1:38:01.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

- David

• Thu, Mar 22 2012 10:42 PM In reply to

That won't happen, I'm afraid. The timebase is always realtime, and you are asking for a non-realtime conform.

Only way I can think of is to open the AAF up in a 23.976p project, mix it down, then bring it into the 24p project. But you will of course lose metadata for that mixed down sequence.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 22 2012 11:35 PM In reply to

Ah, alas. I was afraid that would be the case.

Thanks for the help!

- David

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller