Latest post Sun, Jun 1 2014 1:25 AM by Jayson. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 25 2012 6:28 PM

• Kevin Thompson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 11 2010
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

Black Magic Design Cinema Camera RAW

I have zero experience with RAW workflow.

I have preordered the Black Magic Design Cinema Camera. I hope to enjoy the dynamic range in music video production.

BMD and AVID seem to be working well together over the last year, so I am confident that MC will support the RAW files from the new RAW camera.

BMD currently specify the format as 'RAW 2.5K CinemaDNG'. The camera is due in July and as yet no sample files from the camera are available.

Do those experienced with RAW workflows, feel that Metafuze would currently handle the BMG camera's files?

Media Composer 6.01 | Dual Xeons @ 2.25 | Quadro 600 | 12G Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:20 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,677
    • Points 20,435
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Black Magic Design Cinema Camera RAW

CinemaDNG is more of a theoretical format than a real one at the moment. It's existed as a specification for sometime (it's an extension of Adobe's DNG image format) but it's very hard to find example of it 'in the wild'.

At this stage I'm not aware of any workflow for CinemaDNG. It is presumably supported in Adobe's applications, and possibly other grading tools like Resolve, but I don't think it will work in MetaFuze at this stage, nor in Media Composer. I say 'presumably' and 'think' because I've not been able to get hold of CinemaDNG footage.

Of course the advent of AMA means that either Avid, Adobe or BMD could create a Cinema DNG AMA plugin for Media Composer, but it's hard to say when that might happen. In the meantime I'd look at using the DNxHD codec support which I believe will include an optional log curve.

Edited to add:
    A little more information. The CinemaDNG website lists Avid as a supporter of the initiatve so it's reasonable to assume they will take steps to ensure support as the format is adopted. Given that there are apparently more than 3,000 pre-orders for the BMD camera that may end up shifting up the priority list :)

Also should confirm that Resolve 8 and IRIDAS (now Adobe) SpeedGrade both have CinemaDNG support.

HP Workstations with MC 8.4 64TB EditShare XStream Storage [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Thu, Apr 26 2012 2:30 AM In reply to

• Kevin Thompson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 11 2010
    • Perth, Australia
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

Thanks for replying Dylan.

This is the only file (CinemaDNG, but not from the BMDCC), pointed out to be my another forum user that has been located.

http://www.ikonoskop.com/files/143/A-Cam_dll_Night_CinemaDNG.zip

I do not expect you to fully address this concvern .. it may be of interest to you

Media Composer 6.01 | Dual Xeons @ 2.25 | Quadro 600 | 12G Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 26 2012 6:23 PM In reply to

• Josh Petok
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 39
    • Points 545

Symphony Nitris DX 6.5.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 29 2012 11:09 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,677
    • Points 20,435
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

While I haven't used it yet, it looks like Adobe Prelude might be a useful tool for this stuff. It will presumably support CinemaDNG and it is able to do batch processing and, I believe, encode Avid-style MXF OP1a. So, until Avid has AMA support for the format/camera Prelude might be handy for building a workflow.

HP Workstations with MC 8.4 64TB EditShare XStream Storage [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Mon, Aug 27 2012 3:47 PM In reply to

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • San Diego
    • Posts 976
    • Points 12,290

You can now download some CinemaDNG files from the BMCC here:

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/

Media Composer 8.6 with Intensity Pro 4K, Lenovo P500, Win-7 64 Prof. 16GB RAM, Nvidia 2200, Sony FS7, A7S-ii, EX1, Lumix GH4, Ninja Assassin, Came-TV... [view my complete system specs]

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

• Mon, Aug 27 2012 4:44 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,344
    • Points 159,255

Played a little, Avid FX can link to these images as an image Sequense

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Jun 1 2014 12:28 AM In reply to

• Jayson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 5 2008
    • los angeles
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,680

any updates on workflow with Raw files from the BMCC in Avid Media Composer?

Avid 8.4.5 w/ Symphony x2 (1) iMac 2014 32gb Ram 4gb vram (2) Macbook Pro (just for writing not editing) (camera) Panasonic GH4 x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 1 2014 1:25 AM In reply to

• Jayson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 5 2008
    • los angeles
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,680

ok nevermind looks like going through resolve and rendering the raw files as mxf files into the avid media folder makes more sense than trying to go directly into avid. this way I can color correct the raw before importing.

Avid 8.4.5 w/ Symphony x2 (1) iMac 2014 32gb Ram 4gb vram (2) Macbook Pro (just for writing not editing) (camera) Panasonic GH4 x2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller