Latest post Tue, Feb 18 2020 4:55 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 3 2012 9:06 AM

Collapse/Condense/Merge visible items

What I would love to have, is a feature that would allow me to force multiple clips on multiple layers back to a single video layer.

For instance, I might have interviews on V1, B-roll on V2, imported animations on V3, but I might need one version of this sequence that has everything in a single V1-track.

So MC would detect clips that have no "downward looking" effects, detect all visible items, and overwrite tracks on higher clips over whatever they block in V1.

A normal 'collapse' will make this into a single item on the timeline, which is not what I would want to have.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 3 2012 9:37 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,633
    • Points 66,120

Re: Collapse/Condense/Merge visible items

Yes +1

Symphony 19.12, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jun 4 2012 12:24 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,407
    • Points 97,250

+1.  But the dialog should give you the alternative of creating a new collapsed sequence or simply collapsing the existing sequence.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 4 2012 12:30 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,407
    • Points 97,250

Maybe the term to use for this function would be flatten - there you are Avid, not only have we defined the functionality, we've even given you a name for it!  What's stopping you?

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 4 2012 5:52 AM In reply to

jwrl:

+1.  But the dialog should give you the alternative of creating a new collapsed sequence or simply collapsing the existing sequence.

I think you should be able to do this between in and out or on manually selected segments (like Collapse). So it would be up to the user to duplicate the sequence, not to the interface (Collapse doesn't dupe the seq neither).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 4 2012 11:04 AM In reply to

+2  That's a time saver I could use.

Squeeze v11 eol Pro AJA i/o Express Ignite FX; Plural Eyes 4.0 HitFilm Pro; Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 6 2012 3:05 AM In reply to

• Johnny Diesel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 29 2007
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 61
    • Points 650

+1. Would love it.

Homebuilt: Win 10 on Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1, Xeon E5-1650 v3 at 3.5 GHZ 6-core, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K. Canopus... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 6 2012 5:36 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 254
    • Points 2,665

Media 100 was actually able to do this. Kind of the only thing I liked about it.

Media Composer 2018.12.8 / OS 10.14.6 27" iMac [3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 12:22 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

+1 not even fcp7 can do this!

• Sat, Oct 20 2012 10:21 AM In reply to

What FCP7 does do which is similar, is to allow you to move all clips on a video layer down to a lower track in one hit. This is because FCP7 does not treat the gaps (time) inbetween clips as video black (which Avid does). If you try to do this in Avid the black will overwrite the clips below! -or maybe there is a way of making Avid ignore Video black (if only!) The workaround is to Ctrl-Shift all your clips one at a time onto the layer below (incredibly tedious).

But I am new to AVID so maybe someone can enlighten me. 

• Mon, Feb 17 2020 6:42 PM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 14
    • Points 130

+1 This would be a fantastic feature.

I'm working with an editor that likes to stack takes underneath for quick reference if the director ever asks. Options etc.

An addtional option would be to not colapse anything that has an effect that has the layer visible below... So if there is a track that has an animate effect on V2 and has V1 visible, it would leave it alone for you to reference and colapse if you wish.

• Mon, Feb 17 2020 11:49 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,625
    • Points 43,675

morsey:

An addtional option would be to not colapse anything that has an effect that has the layer visible below... So if there is a track that has an animate effect on V2 and has V1 visible, it would leave it alone for you to reference and colapse if you wish.

I, too, would love this feature, but the above comment is why it could be tricky.  I have to manually do this for shows as a step for prepping for Resolve roundtrips.  And let me tell you, some of the convoluted effects stacks offline editors will come up with to get around the ancient efx structure of MC could make automating this very dangerous.

But anything to speed up the process would be useful.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Feb 18 2020 9:42 AM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 14
    • Points 130

jef:

morsey:

I, too, would love this feature, but the above comment is why it could be tricky.  I have to manually do this for shows as a step for prepping for Resolve roundtrips.  And let me tell you, some of the convoluted effects stacks offline editors will come up with to get around the ancient efx structure of MC could make automating this very dangerous.

But anything to speed up the process would be useful.

Jef

Collapsing if there are no effects takes a few seconds per layer. But having to use a convoluted effect summary or visually looking for effects is, as you know, where the time consuming part is and where mistakes can be made. The information to get the result is all there and the feature should be based on binary rules, just need MC to do the leg work to summarise it.

• Tue, Feb 18 2020 4:55 PM In reply to

This would make pre-grades much much faster. Flattening the sequence is what takes up half the time and every now and then you'll accidentally flatten an effect down on to V1 and remove the video underneath it leaving a black hole to screw you over later on.  

It would also make handovers to online a much more civilised process. I hate getting a messy sequence from offline. Sometimes the offline editor will leave clips on lower tracks as an "alternate take"  but mostly they just haven't collapsed down the tracks. However, you never know for sure as no one ever communicates this to you. This would help remove that ambiguity too.  Very good request. +1

Andi

HP ZBook G5 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 Nvidia Quadro P2000 4GB 32GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.8 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller