Latest post Wed, Oct 31 2012 3:06 PM by Pat Horridge. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 30 2012 3:40 PM

• twistlick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 24
    • Points 390

MC 5.5 Dongle not working on 2012 MBP.

Hi there,

I've been running MC 5.5 on my new 13' 2012 Mac Book Pro OS 10.8.2 (Intel 2.9 i7, 8GB RAM) in 'Trial Mode' and the software runs perfectly. I put my MC 5.5 Dongle that I use in my Mac Pro running 5.5 into the Macbook Pro to activate the software and I get the error:

'Software activation failed because your license is not valid. Please contact Customer Support for further assistance.'

I'm aware that MC 5.5 is 32 bit & Mac OS 10.8.2 is 64 bit only.  Could that have something to do with it? 

To be clear, my Dongle works both in Snow Leapard & Lion with MC 5.5 on my Mac Pro. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 3:47 PM In reply to

Re: MC 5.5 Dongle not working on 2012 MBP.

Isn't this a 32bit and 64bit OS issue with the dongle not being seen in 64bit mode?

I think if you switch the OS into 32bit mode the dongle will be seen and you can activate. But you lose the advantages of 64bit (not that MCV5.5 can make use of that)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Oct 30 2012 4:07 PM In reply to

• twistlick
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 390

Thanks for the quick response. It looks like OS 10.8 is 64 bit only. I've been reading where you can turn on specific applications on in 32 bit mode but not the OS. 

Here's what I found on the Apple forums:

You can't run Mountain Lion in 32 bit. Mountain Lion is 64 bit-only. However, you CAN run individual apps in 32 bit mode. Select the app, right click and choose Get Info, and then choose Open in 32-bit mode.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4234123?start=0&tstart=0

---NOTE--- I tried the above method with Media Composer application and it doesn't give me the option of making it 32 bit only. (although it says it's 32bit in the GET INFO screen). 

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 4:21 PM In reply to

My assumption is that you will require the 64-but version of the dongle software, only installed when you install a 64-bit version of the editing application.

v6.5 is the only one supported on 10.8.2 at this time.  Perhaps v6.0.x would work, but in both cases, you would have the latest drivers required for the dongle (and Dongle Manager) software.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Oct 30 2012 4:30 PM In reply to

Newsflash!  MC v5.5 is not qualified to run on OS 10.8 because it is a 32-bit app and OS 10.8 is 64-bit only.

The only versions of MC qualified for use on OS 10.8 must be 64-bit.

MC v6.0.3 and MC v6.5 are the only two versions qualified for OS 10.8  

If you want 10.8.2, then your only option is MC v6.5  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Oct 31 2012 2:50 PM In reply to

• twistlick
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 390

Thanks a million for your responses. It looks like upgrading is the path I probably need to take. One last question. Since MC 5.5 works perfectly on my MBP/OS 10.8.2 system (after using the trial version for 3 weeks now) can I change out my MC 5.5 dongle for a software activation (staying with MC 5.5)? If the dongle is the only thing that seems to be holding me back from using MC 5.5 on my Macbook Pro I'd be perfectly fine with switching to Software activation. All with the understanding that MC 5.5 is not officially supported on OS 10.8.2.  My situation is I only use MC 5.5 for a very simple task and no complicated edting - Spending $600 to upgrade for what I use it for is a hard pill to swallow, especially since the software works great in trial mode.

• Wed, Oct 31 2012 3:06 PM In reply to

You can convert a serial activation to a dongle (for a fee) not sure if yu can go the otehr way but can't see why not. But it's a real shame to lose the dongle as it's by far the easiest way to use the same software on a number of machines. once you go serial activation you need to deactivate before you can re-activate on another machine.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller