Latest post Wed, Nov 14 2012 12:59 PM by Pat Horridge. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 11:48 AM

What AMA formats support Spanned clips?

Has anyone got a list of the tapeless formats that support spanning of clips?

And which of those are or aren't supported in MC.

I know you can Span on P2 cameras and that seems to work ok in MC

You can't span XDCAM HD (optical)

You can span clips with XDCAM EX

You can't span clips with 5D 7D

You can span clips with C300 (this can be problematic in MC but is it fixed in V6.5?)

Can't Span RED clips (but Red does make chuncked media for clips)

Alexa?

BM cinema camera ?

GoPro ?

Others?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 11:53 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,742
    • Points 61,850

Re: What AMA formats support Spanned clips?

What is the definition of a spanned clip? Is that a clip that spans multiple files due to some arbitrary file size limitation of the camera and media? So if you were to record continuously for some period of time, you'd find that the camera actually created several files and you would like MC (or other) to treat it as a single clip in the editing suite? Is that about it?

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2020.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Nov 14 2012 12:16 PM In reply to

The terms I use are:

Chunking. A clip is made up of a number of media chunks stored on disk (normally limited in size by the file format) The presentation of the clip in the NLE is seemless with the single clip appearing as if it comes from one media file. Chunking always has all the chunks in the same location

Spanning. A clip is made up of one or more media files located across more than one disk (or folder after being backedup) The media files normally aren't file format limited but are card size limited. If both cards are mounted via AMA most formats will then see the clip as online and be able to play all the media but fail to mount one of the "cards" and a clip acan be part online part offline....

Avid used to use "chunking" for the older OMFI format files which had 2GB file size limits but since MXF media files can now be massive.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

Filed under:
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 12:26 PM In reply to

I think a spanned clip refers to media from one shot crossing over to a second memory chip available in the camera's recorder during a shot started at the end of the first chip's capacity.

What you describe can be present without crossing over to a second chip, and as we get into this more and more-- I think we need a better buzz word to make the distinction...

Single-span?  Folder Forest? WTFolder?

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 14 2012 12:59 PM In reply to

Telegram!:

I think we need a better buzz word to make the distinction...

Single-span?  Folder Forest? WTFolder?

I do I have chunking and spanning as described.

Generlaly chunking isn't a problem but you need to be aware of it. SPanning however is more of an issue.

I think Canon call it Relay record (one after the other)

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller