Latest post Mon, Apr 8 2013 6:09 PM by denniscasey. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:46 PM

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 667
    • Points 8,495

Question: Recommended procedure to burn best DVD from MC6 HD Timeline

I sometimes export AVCHD (converted to DNxHD145) HD timeline from MC6.0.3 timeline to Avid DVD 6.4.4 and burn both Blu-Ray and DVD (for friends who do not have Blu-ray player).  I know DVD will not be nearly as good (primarily resolution) as Blu-ray.  However, I think the DVD's I used to burn from original standard definition video within Liquid looked better than DVD's I now burn starting with HD video.  So, I am thinking I am using wrong procedure to go from MC6 HD timeline to DVD burned with Avid DVD.

I have watched several tutorials on use of Avid DVD (including Douglas's very helpful ones) and have read many forum posts that were not very complimentary regarding output from Avid DVD (pointing out that it is a multi-functional tool that downconverts and authors so perhaps not the best at any single function).  However, I like the simplification of authoring a DVD from MC6 HD timeline via Avid DVD.

I only have Avid DVD to author Blu-ray or DVD, but I also have Squeeze 8 and have just downloaded WinX HD Converter Deluxe (Larry mentioned this one at one time) in case they do a much better job for downconverting.

My current procedure is simply to use Send To command to get my timeline to One Step DVD or DVD Authoring (in Avid DVD). I do not do any mix down of audio/video since my videos are quite simple (titles, added music, source video, etc) without many layers or effects.  I like this simple procedure but it seems it is not giving me the best results (mostly the clarity of DVD burned from HD timeline making allowances of course that it is DVD and not Blu-ray).  Two things I did find from doing search in Avid Forums are:

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}

QUOTE from Josh Short post: Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}

Try to check your SD transcoding preferences in your project settings in Avid DVD.

File>Project Settings...>SD Transcoding tab>Superior Quality VBR (8000kbps video; PCM audio)  

The default in mine is set to High Quality CBR and whenever I forget to switch the setting it looks bad (over exposed, jittery, etc.).

I also usually export a QT reference or take my high quality MPEGs from either Squeeze or Digital Rapids into Avid DVD. End quote

And from Sylvain P.  post: Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}

Me, I like the DVD that are output from a HD Avid DVD project.

As I said, I do a video mixdown in DNxHD145, then export a QTRef from the timeline and do everything in HD, including the menus, in Avid DVD.

Finally, I create my DVD from the HD project. Yes, it's longer to encode, but the quality is great. END QUOTE

I have not tried the above suggestions yet, but I would appreciate any other more current suggestions to optimize quality of my DVD's including settings to use in Squeeze 8 or WinX (if they give superior downconversion results) to get best downconversion results of my HD timeline to then author/burn in Avid DVD.  Thank you, Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 5:48 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 667
    • Points 8,495

Re: Question: Recommended procedure to burn best DVD from MC6 HD Timeline

Sorry, I don't know what happened to get all the extra stuff added when I posted this--i.e. /*Style Definitions, etc.  If someone will let me know I will do what I can to avoid that in future posts.

Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 8 2013 6:09 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 667
    • Points 8,495

Re: Question: Recommended procedure to burn best DVD from MC6 HD Timeline

Bump.  Basic advice/questions I would like about workflow to optimize quality of DVD's burned from MC6 high definition timeline using Avid DVD are:

1. Do I need to do a video/audio mixdown of high definition content on MC6 timeline before sending to Avid DVD to get best quality DVD or Blu-ray output from Avid DVD?

2. What settings in Avid DVD do I need to adjust to get best quality DVD--is it just making sure SD transcoding is set to Superior Quality vs default High Quality setting?

Thank you, Dennis

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller