Latest post Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:00 PM by JNorris. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:08 PM

• JNorris
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 7 2009
    • Posts 30
    • Points 400

What information is held in an .avp file?

This morning I turned on my Avid, only to tell me that it couldn't open my project. Awesome!

Luckily, this problem was easily resolved by copying the bins over to a new folder, and dragging in an .avp of a backed up (working) version.

My question is, what is the point of the .avp file? To me it seems as though all of the truly important info is stored within the bins, which are backed up in the attic. Project files aren't backed up in the attic, which makes me feel as though they are of a lesser importance.

What information does an .avp file hold? Is is just the format (SD/HD and framerate)? If I were to create a new project, and copy all of my bins from the old one over, what information would have been lost?

Just curious! Thanks.

Avid MC 6.5.0 OSX 10.8 + Windows 8 (Boot Camp) Mac Pro 5,1 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 14 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:45 PM In reply to

Re: What information is held in an .avp file?

Look in your projects settings tab (you may need to extend the window slightly wider.)

All the setting market as project are saved in the "Project"

Also the name of the project is used for all media creation.

And finally the framerate of the project is determined when you create the project and is stored in the project.

However if the .avp file is deleted again you just need to rename the old project folder slightly.

Then create a fresh new project with the original project name.

Copy the old bins across to that new folder and reset the project setting in the project as required.

But you need to find out how your .avp file got deleted. It isn't something Media Composer can do or an issue I've ever heard of before.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 8:00 PM In reply to

• JNorris
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 7 2009
    • Posts 30
    • Points 400

Re: What information is held in an .avp file?

My .avp file wasn't deleted. Somehow it became corrupted, and thus Avid couldn't open the project. I'm familiar with how to troubleshoot / fix issues like this, my question was more just curiosity as to what all is stored in the .avp file, so in the event that I have to rebuild projects, I know what I will need to keep an eye out for.

Your response confirmed what I thought they did, so thank you for that!

Avid MC 6.5.0 OSX 10.8 + Windows 8 (Boot Camp) Mac Pro 5,1 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 14 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller