Latest post Sun, Sep 14 2014 5:22 PM by jef. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 14 2014 3:44 PM

Advantages of recording in DNxHD vs XDCAM EX?

I'm considering buying an Atomos Samurai portable field recorder to record the SDI output from my XDCAM EX camera as DNxHD flles.  This seems to be an inexpensive way to step up in quality for a modest investment.   From what I've read so far, there seems to be no downside.   Before I buy the recorder, I'd appreciate hearing from any forum members using this workflow who would be willing to share your experiences.   Thanks!

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sun, Sep 14 2014 5:22 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,653
    • Points 43,980

Re: Advantages of recording in DNxHD vs XDCAM EX?

The downside will be much larger media files and all that that entails.  But depending on the camera / lens / subject matter then I think you will get a better looking product.

Not all projects need the extra quality.  But you will have a choice.  Plus, you can run the camera recorder as a backup.  And that has saved several producer / clients of mine more than once.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller