Latest post Tue, Oct 28 2014 7:55 PM by Marianna. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 22 2014 11:38 AM

• Russ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 24 2013
    • London
    • Posts 15
    • Points 185

Support case 02562616

Paid up for a new license and there is a "known issue" redeeming the activation code??

We actually paid for this over 10 days ago and if we had an "important job-to-do" with MC8 would have had to of used our Premiere 2014 or bought Final Cut X.

AVID you NEED to make these licensing options a breeze to enable it is simply NOT good enough.

This is not a criticism of your software merely this new system you have implemented (or at the time of writing this NOT implemented correctly)

Russ

Mac Pro 8 core with 32Gig of memory 27inch TB display and Sharp UHD monitor Current favourite DSLR is Panasonic GH4 Pre-ordered Sony FS7 (waiting "uncomfortably"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 22 2014 4:07 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Support case 02562616

Russ

Whats the rub..... I cant fix it if I dont know......   I see that case but it is with a different name at Angell.  what # can I reach you at as I know how to fix this.   Private Message me.

I agree 150% that the web team and Store needs to get it right out og the gate and knowing what your experence is helps with the lessons learned.

I will then "fix" support.

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Oct 22 2014 5:04 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 15
    • Points 185

Marianna,

Thanks really good to hear from you.

Have just emailed you.

Please would you let me know if you receive this then I may have to explain better as there are two dongle accounts, one of them being my personal one which I want to license as soon as we get this current one sorted.

Many thanks

Russ

Mac Pro 8 core with 32Gig of memory 27inch TB display and Sharp UHD monitor Current favourite DSLR is Panasonic GH4 Pre-ordered Sony FS7 (waiting "uncomfortably"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 23 2014 8:12 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 15
    • Points 185

Marianna,

As per all my emails a suggestion.

For the Media Composer Dongle situation why don't you just "bite the bullet" and port this system over to iLok.

You will ultimately save yourselves a lot of money in software/IT overhead, with the added bonus of us "end users" being alble to have ONE iLok with ZDT (Zero Down Time) with ALL my AVID applications on one ZDT iLok

In my case Media Composer and Protools...

Your comments welcome

Thanks

Russ

• Thu, Oct 23 2014 3:45 PM In reply to

I just have to say something about all this new licensing system, database problems, version 8, per month, per year, floating etc. I know you want to make the share holders happy, make a lot of money per quarter and so on, but your business plan at the moment is too much!

I was told that if we as a company, 78 Avid MC licenses, 4 ISIS licenses, wanted to go for floating license, have to pay $500 per license to move from perpethual to floating..??? Are you seriuos??? Why? I do know why ;-) You want us costumers to go for per month or per year licenses and just keep going. This means that you make more money. Why? Because it's impossible for me, just like you, to keep track of all the licenses.

As of now I have upgraded 49 systems ID to version 8, have about 20 more to go (+ the new version 8 we already bought), which we like to claim and transfer and so on to our company, but the company that is helping us with this, is in constant contact with Avid (somewhere) to get this working... You (Avid) is claiming that some old database is not working the way you want, which means that just 17 systems is registered in our company! It's a mess!

BUT if we just put all our system ID's to a floating license, it would keep us all from all this hazzle. PS - I can verify all the system ID's for you at Avid and make it easy, but you as an American company just makes it very complicated! I don't want this to be a political issue, but it was easier to make business with the old eastern block then to make business with you at the moment!

I will be at the NAB next year and you can confront me any time! I am NOT impressed with your way of doing business! You need real competition and since FCP is gone and Premiere Pro don't have a "knock on the door" policy, you just have the monopoly of the market. And you just do what you want, because you can!

I'm frustrated and very angry! Please listen more to all the users!!!

PS - I was at a big meeting in Boston in 2004 when David Krall was the CEO. He urged us to give him input like a competition, on what could make Avid better. I was writing Post-It's like mad and I won the competition! I had the 3 most important suggestions for the top five! And the highest was "Listen to your costumers!". Right after that you had even that slogan..! But where is it now? We are still getting Runtime Error in your software, this error is something from the past! It's from th 90's! You have to get into the 2014! Not just let your new CEO standing and say " I'm proud to announce the most profound, the most amazing......" I'm sorry, but I'm just turning the back on you! But we have no choice, you have no competitor... If I had the money I would be happy to challange you!

Perra from Sweden

1 x ISIS 5000 64TB, 1 x ISIS 5000 32TB, 1 x MediaEngine Unity 32TB 1 x Symphony Nitris on HP Z800, 29 x Media Composer on HP Z400 (5.0.4 to 5.5.3.2 -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 23 2014 4:29 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 15
    • Points 185

Perra,

Fascinating post and one that totally nails the situation with AVID at this time.

I really sympathise with you being a LARGE AVID client getting this terrible treatment.  All I can say from my limited experiences at the moment they should get rid of their support/IT staff who simply do not appear to be up to the job of looking after licensing for their customers. 
    AVID hire a Junior run ALL your licensing on a really simple database and GIVE us the opportunity to use iLoks not that "thing" you call a dongle. Simply is not up to it, hand over the responsibility to iLok it is called "subcontracting the blame" (iLok are very good btw so there will be NO-ONE to blame!!)
    We will all be HAPPY!! 

I am reatlly waiting to try out the AVID cloud solution to see how that goes. Going to be a joyful experience am sure.

Perra all I can say is that the Protools community is up in arms right now and licensing does not start for them till next year. God help AVID when that kicks off.

MARIANNA PLEASE sort this out you will go down in the Post Production history books as "Superwoman" if you can sort this shambles out.

PLEASE!!!

Russ 

• Thu, Oct 23 2014 7:48 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Russ:

Marianna,

As per all my emails a suggestion.

For the Media Composer Dongle situation why don't you just "bite the bullet" and port this system over to iLok.

You will ultimately save yourselves a lot of money in software/IT overhead, with the added bonus of us "end users" being alble to have ONE iLok with ZDT (Zero Down Time) with ALL my AVID applications on one ZDT iLok

In my case Media Composer and Protools...

Russ

We dont have the ability to port an MC to an iLok.  MC uses dongles or SW licensing.  Most customers dont even like the dongle and iLok as if it is stolen, then loose the license.  At least with SW licensing, we can retire it and decommision the ID and issue a new one.  dongle / iLok we dont.

But we do have the ability to fix this and make sure that your licenses for MC dongle or no dongle, work properly thru the master account and online store page.  There is a bug that IT is working regardng this - you should have been otifed by support during the last week on the status of fixing that bug.  Vicky who runs the support effort has been alerted to that and asked IT to respond back to day with the status of the bug   Also,  the support folks know they need to rovide interim responses for those affected and temp licenses to tide you over until IT fixes it.

stand by.... those that needed theircages rattled are on it.

I will follow up.

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Oct 24 2014 8:12 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 15
    • Points 185

Marianna,

I would like to correct you on your post about iLoks.
    The Protools community are used to both 1st and 2nd Generation iLoks
    I refer you to...

https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-coverage

This will give you details of what iLok offer with ZDT.  Zero Down Time MEANS exactly what it says I can CATEGORICALLY support what iLok state as FACT from their site. God help me if I ever lose the MC Dongle, think in that instance will need to move back to Adobe Premiere, which btw is quite a nifty piece of editing software lets not get any delusions about that!! So AVID NO longer have the market totaly sewn up, there are alternatives. One of my friends at the BBC is moving (has moved) over to Adobe Premiere recently so that is the way the wind is blowing.

I have had an iLok "stolen" or gone missing. Had ZDT on it took my an hour or so to sort.

With the activation codes I can always take the "60 second challenge" ILOK manager is a really great piece of software. If my MC was on that as a "locked group" I can transfer over to a new Pace dongle in a matter of under "60 seconds" otherwise I would incur a fee of $30  YES $30 dollars for piece of mind.

Marianna with the Protools community soon about to board the licensing bus,  I would take my suggestion very very seriously. For the sake of AVID TOTALLY IGNORE what your licensing support/IT tell you guess they would tell you to port the whole company over to Windows to preserve their jobs.

You need to make a top level decision, albeit what might be a courageous one on your part to detangle this ongoing shambolic situation and "harmonise" the Dongle community on iLoks for both MC and Protools.

If I took a "customer poll" on this I know who would win the vote, actually by a landslide majority.

Shalll we do this as AVID keep telling us what a "customer-centric" Company they are these days?

Thank you

Russ

• Sun, Oct 26 2014 8:12 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 15
    • Points 185

Marianna,

Honestly this is all genuinely pathetic.

I now have my licensing sorted and merely want to do the Dongle Update.

Ihave of course downloaded MC 8.2 and no sign of Boris fx anymore?
    So I go off to find the Knowledgebase article...to find out how to do this long winded process which I kind of anticipate will not work properly anyway as per last time.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/user_guide/en244743

I now get...

"Limit exceeded"

"Sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again later"

"Powered by Force.com"

Really sad, and a very poor show from AVID

So have given up on my Dongle Update for now.

Lesson for AVID...Port this over to iLok ASAP as I WOULD HAVE BEEN UP AND RUNNING BY NOW!

I as MANY others have 100% confidence in iLok.com

Please rest assured I will not be upgrading any other licenses for MC8 for the time being..

Thank you,

Russ

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:27 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Russ:

If I took a "customer poll" on this I know who would win the vote, actually by a landslide majority.

Russ

I have passed your feedback to Product Management who determines what licnesing scheme we use for our products.  David Colantouni runs this group and is a frequesnt poster here.  If you would like his email so you can send him directly, email me and I will provide it.

This line stood out to me..... 

“If I took a "customer poll" on this I know who would win the vote, actually by a landslide majority.”

That very well might be true if you conducted a poll where the majority of respondents were Pro Tools users on an audio-centric site like Pro Tools expert of the Duc.   I think the results might be quite different if the demographic were poll respondents on a video-centric site like this, Avid L2 or the Creative Cow.

Also, thats assuming that the "said" survey could capture the opinions of only those that used both Pro Tools and MC on a regular basis. And.... if you were to ask all Media Composer users “should Avid move Media Composer Licensing to iLok.com: yes or no” on a Media Composer site, I think the landslide would fall the other way. :-)  yes they like the dongle over SW licensing as most are familair with that scheme.

In any case, we are always looking at what is the best method of protecting both our customers and our company when we consider asset management and copy protection and how these can be improved. Your feedback is appreciated as always, and I sincerely mean that.    Let me know if you want to connect with Dave directly and know that I do send this up the ladder for the team to digest.

Marianna 

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:38 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Russ,

Avid FX is no longer supplied with MC 8.x and higher and that has been posted everywhere.  You can use your older versions of Avid FX which came with your MC 7 or 6 systems or you can also upgrade to Boris RED for a special price for Avid peeps at Borisfx.com.

The Knowledge base went down this weekend which could have affected your seraching.  Friday we had a WW attack on Avid.com and were down for a bit while IT worked to address - it affected all components of Avid.com of which the Pro Video community and KB are part.  The DUC resides on a server elsewhere so it wasnt compromised.

The dongle upgrade process is really quite simple..... and uses the AppMan for the upgrade now instead of the dongle updater.

Pre 8.0 licenses go to http://www.avid.com/US/support/upgrades and follow the directions below.

Update Your Existing Dongle

For customers with physical dongles who have purchased upgrades for Media Composer, or NewsCutter, you can redeem your upgrade Activation ID for a dongle updater .avd file. Click here for Dongle redemption >

MC 8.x and higher follow the directions:

• Under My Products and Subscriptions you should see thesystem you intend on upgrading
    • Click "Show" next to Product Details & Downloads
    • Click "Download Dongle Updater File" 
    • You will be prompted to enter the Dongle Serial Number and your email address.
    • Click upgrade to download an .avd updater file for this dongle

Updating the Dongle:

1. With the Application Manager tool open, go to the Licensing tab.   If the Application Manager tool is not open, double-click the tool icon in the system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
    2. Plug in the dongle blasted to the current product and version. The Application Manager tool detects the dongle with the corresponding dongle ID and Serial Number.
    3. To scan a dongle, click Dongle Info. Application Manager lists all the information available on the current dongle.
    4. From the Choose Action drop-down list, select one of the options: Update or Convert.
    5. Select the option Update to update the dongle. If you choose Update, the system asks you to specify the dongle file (.avd) you just downloaded. After you have selected the license file, the Update button becomes available. Click it to see the licensing information.
    Warning! - The option Convert will switch from a dongle license to a software license. If you select the Convertoption from the Choose Action drop-down list, you are about to convert the license from a dongle to a software license. This will deactivate the dongle so it cannot be used anymore, and from here on you will have a software license.

User-added image

Marianna 

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 7:00 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 15
    • Points 185

Marianna,

Firstly a quick thank you for your replies, which is really great customer support on your part.
    Okay my Dongle is working fine now and I got thrown until I realised your new Application manager handled all the licensing now.  Media Composer is a really great product I have no argument about that!

Please pass me on your Licensing manager's email address.
    Marianna we have to face up to facts which are.
    Video editors are definitely doing MORE audio
    Audio editors definitely want to get in to cutting video
    The youngsters at Universities are learning to do ALL this stuff (most of them are using Final Cut 10) and Autodesk supply student editions of Smoke 2015 so they are learning to do leading edge compositing as well.

So with all of the MC 8 fanfare of using AAX audio plugins where do you think they reside.??
    Actually I have quite a decent selection on (guess what?) YES my iLok!!
    As a business unit you HAVE to be in the business of making both MC and Protools software MUCH better and expending MINIMUM effort on managing licensing and all the problems that go with it.  
    Subcontract it out to the experts like iLOK who of course 100% manage YOUR Protools community very succesfully and very securely!

As I said in my case,  and another couple of people I know who have had to resort to ZDT or Zero DownTime in an emergency have been back in action within about an hour or so with little hassle. As a sidenote I ALWAYS have a spare Pace Dongle handy and if I have ANY doubts then I pre-empt problems and just
    transfer over the licenses = keep working  this will totally remove potential AVID customer frustrations.
    Marianna in your opinion if my Media Composer dongle goes wrong can you please give me a ball park figure as to when AVID will get me going again? 

Once again Marianna I believe I have introduced a compelling case for AVID to consider this issue re: iLoks and have a good think about it as I said above it makes good business sense.

Thanks Marianna you have been most helpful and thank goodness you are around to provide such great support.

Many thanks

Russ 

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 7:40 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Russ

No problem.... happy to help when I can.  

I'll email you Dave address to your email.   

The argument you make that

1. video peeps are doing more audio and

2.  audio peeps are doing mroe video

3. and universities are using both.....

is a valid one...

I can say that a large portion of the video side and the institutional side dont want physical keys at all - so there is no chance for them to be broken or stolen.  People in this camp want activation ID's of the SW licensing scheme.  

Thats not to say that we cant offer video peeps who have physical license an option much like we did when we started to phase out the dongle.  But thats not my call.

stand by on email from the info. you need.

Only a post, of email away if you need me....

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 7:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,284
    • Points 219,185
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Russ

The email tied to your community name bounced back.

Can you email me the adress you wish me to send you Daves email address.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:34 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 15
    • Points 185

Marianna,

Thanks for your replies.
    Just to let you know there is quite a major argument breaking out on the Autodesk communities over Flame and compositors using Smoke 2015. More freelance compositors have to use Flame, then cannot continue the project on the much cheaper Smoke 2015.
    The downside of this for Autodesk is more compositors are migrating to Nuke, as they approach things differently, and possibly more flexibly.

A very well known (and busy) editor I know who does major work for the BBC/Independents NEEDS the mobility of working at the edit suite, then working back at home. He has now actually put an office in at his house to do this.

RE: Mobility, if this argument is not water tight then there is no use AVID implementing "AVID Anywhere" FORGET IT!! If you do not get all the parts of the jigsaw to fit then there is no point. Mobility/flexibility is the key to success in the increasing freelance market place.

The simple business case is that the freelancers are going to far outnumber the core staff in years to come. More people working/editing at home. In the UK this is a rapidly expanding agenda with Broadband speeds increasing...No need to travel and a much lower carbon footprint.
    More freelance editors are just going to have to bite the bullet, buy a dongle/license from AVID then edit at home. I know many people who have Protools rigs now in their "custom built" garden sheds and happy to come up in  to Soho/in a proper suite to do the finals. The costing model for Broadcast is on a very downward curve right now..Accountants totally running the show.

Will ping you my email to yours.

You already have my email address in your inbox.

Thanks for your premium support...much appreciated.

Russ 

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller