Latest post Mon, Mar 14 2016 10:15 AM by David Clarke. 50 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 12 2015 3:09 PM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 13 2010
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 239
    • Points 3,255

Re: Problems with AVCHD footage from a Panasonic GH4/GH2

Why "of course"?  The GH4 can film in 4K using MOVs.  If you import they will be converted to the project size.  If you AMA link they will be at their original size. 

Laptop - Haswell desktop processor, 16GB RAM, 970m NVidia graphic card. Desktop - 2011 pin Haswell-E processor, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt, Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 13 2015 7:36 AM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 1 2009
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

I have the ama plugins installed the only choice when linking shots is 'automatic link to ama' or quicktime, but quicktime makes no difference.

I can link to media using the new 'link' and it brings the media into the project

If I put it on the timeline it comes up 'wrong format' for video but audio plays fine

I can transcode it to DNxHR and it is still the 'wrong format' the audio plays on the timeline

Thoughts please

Derek Mathieson

22Videouk

Darlington

• Mon, Jul 13 2015 7:37 AM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

Me again,#

What other AMA plugins should I be installing please?

Derek Mathieson

• Mon, Jul 13 2015 9:12 AM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 239
    • Points 3,255

You don't need any AMA plug-ins, it should just work.  I have some sample GH4 clips here:

http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/GH4-Sample-footage.html

Although I have used these before in MC I just downloaded the pomegranite.MOV and linked to it in Avid MC8.4 and it worked fine.  I have only installed Avid and QuickTime and no other Avid plug-ins.  Do you want to try that clip and see what happens.

Laptop - Haswell desktop processor, 16GB RAM, 970m NVidia graphic card. Desktop - 2011 pin Haswell-E processor, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt, Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 13 2015 2:55 PM In reply to

• bobpiech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Poland
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,210

22Video:

Me again,#

What other AMA plugins should I be installing please?

Derek Mathieson

Try again this MOV 4K recorded GH4. It's work in MC 8.4. And remember, setup your project to UHD.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B52-uC95HQvmSVRCVjdPZC1zWTA

Hm. Have you Instaled in your system newest Quick Time? What setup is your GH4 to 4K recording?

MC8.8, Win764, QTime 7.7.9, NVIDIA Driver 375.86, Asrock P67 Extreme 6, Intel 2600K, 16GB RAM, Deckink HD Extreme 3D+, NVidia Quadro K4000, M-Audio Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 16 2015 10:50 AM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

David

Tried downloading both files and still say 'wrong format'

Derek M

• Thu, Jul 16 2015 12:04 PM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 239
    • Points 3,255

So the pomegranite.MOV file was linked via AMA and it said "wrong format"?  DOes i play in Quicktme player inside Windows?  It won't play in Media Player but should play in Quicktime.  That file definately works for me on a Windows system with MC8.4 and no AMA plug-ins, so if it does not work for you it must be something else.

• Thu, Jul 16 2015 12:21 PM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

Pomegranite movie came up with Quicktime Error ' not a format quicktime understands'

Derek

• Thu, Jul 16 2015 12:27 PM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

Quicktime version is 7.77.80.95

Derek

• Thu, Jul 16 2015 12:44 PM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

David

Success I have got it to ama link and play in MC8.4

I uninstalled all ama plugins and left only the ones that come with Avid and it seems to work..

Your efforts are much appreciated as ever

Cheers

Derek M

• Thu, Jul 16 2015 1:19 PM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 239
    • Points 3,255

I suppose the next step would be to install the AMA plug-ins one at a time and see if something breaks the clip.  Then we could pass this back to Avid.  You did say the Quicktime did not like the file either which is odd as I do not get problems with normal Quicktime playback either.

Of course, the important thing is that it is working so you could just start editing instead.

• Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:01 PM In reply to

• 22Video
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 43
    • Points 530

I have now been able to convert my mpeg4 files for editing with MC 8.4 by using a programme called Borosoft Video Converter  Asbolutely great programme and works very well, converts most formats, and even has a setting for Avid

Thanks to everybody for their help, particularly David C

Derek Mathieson

22Videouk

• Fri, Jul 17 2015 1:25 PM In reply to

Be cautious with Brorosoft and other similar programs:

Macworld: Speaking with Spammers

If the file worked directly via (former AMA) Link, you should be able to link and transcode entirely within MC, without needing other tools.

Other tools out there with useful professional features for workflows that can't be done entirely in MC are ClipToolz for Windows (FREE) and EditReady for Mac (paid)

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 11 2016 5:21 PM In reply to

• 4movie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 11 2016
    • Posts 3
    • Points 55

Hi,

I have simillar problem with Lumix GH4. Brand new machine. I try shoot fullHD 25p, 50Mbps, sound LPCM. I try AMA link at Avid MC 8.1 and 8.3.0, but massage Wrong format. Sound is played well, video not. I try to import, but MP4 filer are not allowed import with this codec. I open files in VLC player, played well also, codec is described like: H264-MPEG-4-AVC PART 10 (avc1). Anny idea how to AMA link to MC?

I Also instal P2 and Sony new AMA Plugging, QT AMA is updated automatically by installation of MC. Sytem is on MAC OSX 10.10.5 ,  MP4 files play well in preview and QT10. I have also QT7 Pro installed, but QT7 do not like to play it! Anny Idea?

Regards.

• Sat, Mar 12 2016 12:45 PM In reply to

I'm not familiar with the structure or codec from that specific camera.

Same suggestion as with any other camera - do NOT try linking directly to individual media files (if they're part of a larger folder structure).  Link to the root of the volume - generally, you take everything that's on the card, and copy it inside a folder that you create.  Then, link to that folder that you create.  But if all that's being created is individual MP4 files, then that's different.

P2 and Sony plugins are not necesary here.

It's very possible that the codec/structure of the GH4 is not supported by MC at all.  In that case, you may need to re-wrap (which is a fast process that maintains the original quality) it in a third-party tool such as EditReady, which is a very reputable tool with responsive developers, who have built professionally-focused features into the app such as source timecode and others.

Others may have a workflow that uses DaVinci Resolve for ingest/rewrap.  I've seen things like that posted, but haven't tried myself.  I know that Resolve has had difficulties with AVCHD media - for example, not being able to find AVCHD timecode.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 3 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller