Latest post Wed, May 25 2016 12:03 PM by smrpix. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 14 2015 6:29 PM

• MACH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 15 2011
    • Washington, D.C.
    • Posts 44
    • Points 670

Importing AVCHD .MTS files in Avid?

I have a question regarding importing AVCHD .MTS files into Avid Media Composer 8 … What I do is, I AMA link them and then transcode it to Avid format but this procedure takes ages … I was wondering if there’s a simpler or another way of doing it quickl?

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Apr 14 2015 7:07 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,375
    • Points 16,985

Re: Importing AVCHD .MTS files in Avid?

You should be AMA linking the entire folder structure from "private" on down and then transcoding to an appropriate DNxHD codec.  This is the fastest method.  Actual transcode speed will be determined by your system specs.

You can also transcode in the background which is slower, but will allow you to keep working while it's happening.

If there is a mismatch between the framerate and raster size of your project and sources, that can also slow things down.

• Wed, Apr 15 2015 8:33 AM In reply to

• benholden
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 13 2015
    • London, UK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 425

Depending on setup, can you/do you use USB 3? That certainly helps with the Transcode speed I have found with AVCHD AMA.

Avid MC v2018.7 / Mojo DX / Mac Pro 6.1 late 2013 / MacOS 10.12.6 / 64GB Memory / AMD FirePro D500 / 3GHz 8 Core Intel Xeon E5 / LG 34UC98 Ultra Wide Display... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 24 2016 3:03 PM In reply to

• morazzano
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 6 2014
    • Rome, Italy
    • Posts 27
    • Points 335

Hi guys! I reboot this thread :) I'm about to start a new job where the footage will be shot with a Panasonic, so the files will have the .mts extension. I was wondering if just ama-linking all of them works just fine or it is better transcoding them.
    Suggestions are appreciated

Luca 

Mac Book Pro Retina 15-ich (Late 2013), OS Mojave 10.14.1, Avid 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 24 2016 4:01 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,375
    • Points 16,985

morazzano:

Hi guys! I reboot this thread :) I'm about to start a new job where the footage will be shot with a Panasonic, so the files will have the .mts extension. I was wondering if just ama-linking all of them works just fine or it is better transcoding them.
    Suggestions are appreciated

Luca 

You're really asking two seperate questions.  Assuming this isn't some exotic, unknown camera the actual linking should work fine. One purpose of transcoding after linking is to make the material more responsive, less sluggish during editing.  My own workflow these days is almost always linking, then transcoding to an offline resolution, then relinking to the originals before final output.

• Wed, May 25 2016 10:50 AM In reply to

• morazzano
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 6 2014
    • Rome, Italy
    • Posts 27
    • Points 335

Thank you very much smrpix, you clarified an important issue for me. Thus, if I correctly understood the more ama-linked footage you have, the slower MC is (or can be).

Mac Book Pro Retina 15-ich (Late 2013), OS Mojave 10.14.1, Avid 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 25 2016 12:03 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,375
    • Points 16,985

Yes, but it's not quite that simple.  Linked footage requires more processing to keep track of, but the codec/compression type of the footage is far more important.  The long-GOP structure of AVCHD makes it particularly brutal because you may need as much as 10 seconds of leading material to reconstruct each frame.  Linked XDCam footage tends to work almost as well as native Avid media on a reasonably powerful system.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller