Latest post Tue, Apr 28 2015 3:00 PM by Sarita Siegel. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 28 2015 10:57 AM

• Sarita Siegel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 10 2006
    • Bethnal Green, London
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

how much HD space for AVID media files if you have transcoded already

HI, can anyone help me anticipate how much HD space I need for a one hour documentary, all XF300 and 5D material is transcoded as DN X HD 185 (using 8.5 TB of HD so far with another 2.5 Tb to transcode) Im trying to decide what size HD to buy as a second HD that can take the remaining 2.5 TB of footage and the AVID media files for a one hour doc?

How much space is normal to allocate for the AVID media files?

I imagine not quite enough to get a drive that can RAID 5 for safety so it will be a smaller and slower drive (I guess RAID 0, and I will have to copy it for safety)

cheers

sarita

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 512 SSD 36TB G-TECH G SPEED Studio (RAID 0) HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 28 2015 11:01 AM In reply to

Re: how much HD space for AVID media files if you have transcoded already

Hi Sarita,

This storage calculator will help you estimate how much space you'll need for a given amount of footage at different resolutions:

http://www.avid.com/US/resources/avid-storage-calculator

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Apr 28 2015 1:00 PM In reply to

• Sarita Siegel
    • Not Ranked
    • Bethnal Green, London
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

HI,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes I have used that before for the transcoding calculations. I am wondering how much space is necessary for the files created when editing, the subtitles, rendered effects etc. My last project was AMA so the editing AVID files became huge as it transcoded everything, but as i am now working with transcoded footage I imagine it will be considerably less?

cheers

sarita

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 512 SSD 36TB G-TECH G SPEED Studio (RAID 0) HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 28 2015 1:14 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,373
    • Points 16,955

That really depends on your project.  How effects-heavy is it, how much do you actually render, how many of your renders do you delete, what resolution do you render in, etc?  There's not a one size fits all answer. 

Doubling the space for your source footage is probably a good starting point, but it could vary dramatically in either direction.

• Tue, Apr 28 2015 3:00 PM In reply to

• Sarita Siegel
    • Not Ranked
    • Bethnal Green, London
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller