Latest post Mon, Jun 1 2015 7:49 PM by jef. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 21 2015 12:02 PM

• Sarita Siegel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 10 2006
    • Bethnal Green, London
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

Betacam Sp transfer to ProRes 444 imported as a matte Key

HI.

I have been sent some archive footage that was Betacam Sp transfer to ProRes 444 files (29.97).  I imported them into my (25fps) project to edit (as this converts to 25 fps) but the import seems to have turned them into hour long Matte keys so I cant scrub through them to find shots. I havent got time to watch it all can anyone suggest how I should import them so they are just 25fps DNXHD footage and usable in the timeline

cheers,

sarita

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 512 SSD 36TB G-TECH G SPEED Studio (RAID 0) HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 21 2015 12:19 PM In reply to

Re: Betacam Sp transfer to ProRes 444 imported as a matte Key

Prores 444 is actually Prores 4444 the extra 4 is the alpha channel which is empty but taking up file space and being seen by MC on import.

Just select ignore alpha on import (import is legacy way to ingest better to use AMA and in AMA settings ignore alpha)

The make selects as required from AMA link and consolidate or Transcode.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jun 1 2015 11:19 AM In reply to

• Sarita Siegel
    • Not Ranked
    • Bethnal Green, London
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

Thanks,

cheers

sarita

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 512 SSD 36TB G-TECH G SPEED Studio (RAID 0) HD [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 1 2015 1:27 PM In reply to

• Sarita Siegel
    • Not Ranked
    • Bethnal Green, London
    • Posts 30
    • Points 355

PS. what does legacy mean? I have chosen 'import' as I want to convert them to 25 rather than the 29.97 they were transfered as (it is USA pro res created from old beta sp)

Import seems to be working within the 25 p project. But now I am wondering, is this a lesser quality way than (the way you taught me before - creating another 29.97 project, AMA linking and then bringing into the 25 fps project? Curious now.

cheers

Sarita

• Mon, Jun 1 2015 7:49 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,430
    • Points 41,355

Please be aware that no conversion that Avid can do for 29.97 to 25 will be without artifacts.

Using a hardware based conversion system such as Snell Alchemist is the best option. 

Assuming you chose to stay in Avid for this task (knowing the limitations) then you should create a 29.97 project matching this footage.  AMA link the file in this project. Consolidate or transcode to the codec of your choice.  Now go back to your 25p project.  Use "Open Bin" and navigate to the capture project and open the bin there containing your 29.97 clip.  Use this clip in your project.

Avid will see that the 29.97 material is not the same frame rate as your 25p sequence and apply what is called a "Motion Adapter" to that clip.  This is a fancy term for a timewarp.  You can change the method that this timewarp effect manipulates the picture, even changing it to 100% speed, giving you a frame for frame playback.  Good for image quality but not playing at the correct speed for you project. 

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller