Latest post Sat, Nov 21 2015 11:02 PM by Robert A. Ober. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 20 2015 11:05 AM

• n3bur
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 3 2015
    • Brussels
    • Posts 26
    • Points 315

Running Avid and Davinci on Mac

hi everyone,

I would like to upgrade my current Mac Pro 5.1. Going from 4 to 6 cores and higher clockrate, add RAM, and plug in a big Nvidia card. My most used software is Media Composer, Davinci Resolve and some After Effects/Photoshop.

Currently I'm monitoring Avid on my Mac Pro through a Matrox mxo2mini and  I'm grading on my 2015 macbook pro and a BM mini monitor (thunderbolt), it's all mini here Embarrassed Obviously I'd like to do both on the same system. 

I am aware of the problems with Avid and Blackmagic, so what are my options? (excluding PC :) 

If I buy a BM decklink or usb3 breakoutbox (because no thunderbolt), is there a way to combine this with the Matrox? So Avid uses the Matrox and Resolve the BMcard? I wouldn't mind dual boot.

thanks for any advice!

• Fri, Nov 20 2015 7:53 PM In reply to

Re: Running Avid and Davinci on Mac

I'd strongly suggest running dual-boot....otherwise you will get stuck when one software requires an OS upgrade to work and the other prevents it.

Avid can't switch between hardware, AFAIK, but if you install the Matrox drivers with Avid and BM with Resolve, it should work.  But note Matrox is discontinuing NLE support going forward.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Sat, Nov 21 2015 11:02 PM In reply to

Re: Running Avid and Davinci on Mac

I agree with Kevin.  Stay with BMD for both MC and Resolve and test different versions of Desktop Video as the latest is often not the best.

Take it EZ,

Robert

2018 MacBook Pro,I7 2.6GHz/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 560X 4GB/500GB SSD/External RAID0/Mojave & MacPro Early 2009 24GB/GTX1080Ti/1GB SSD/HIT2TB/WD1TB/ProAvio... [view my complete system specs]

Robert A. Ober
    IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelance Preditor(Producer/Editor)
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller