Latest post Fri, Feb 5 2016 6:47 PM by benholden. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 5 2016 4:19 PM

• benholden
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 13 2015
    • London, UK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 425

Video Mixdown to DNxHD and QT Ref Export to Squeeze Issue

We was using MC 8.4.1 all fine and dandy and decided to update to MC 8.4.5 around the beginning of Jan (2016). This is when the issues with (what we now know) video mixdown and exporting an QT Ref file to Squeeze. 

When performing a video mixdown to DNxHD, exporting out to Squeeze 10 as a QT Ref file, we would only see a black video clip with audio that could be heard, even after a compression to any codec type.

This was really strange and have done all the usuall settings and Avid checks but most importantly the QT Ref export options, but long story cut short, nothing fixed the issue. At that point only a Same as Source would export and work correctly in Squeeze.

knowing that QT Ref exported fine in MC 8.4.1 we wanted to fix the issue rather than sticking with Same as Source for export to Squeeze (luckily work load wasn't that bad that we had to resort to using Same as Source).

We cheked all the Squeeze options. Added a defaualt comprression reader for MOV files to FFMPEG and when a QT Ref file was dropped into Squeeze, Squeeze would crash.

We then went to MC 8.5 (purly as there were many bug fixes etc., and may be an upgrade may help) and we had exactly the same issues.

At this point we went back to 8.4.1, but the problem was still there, which was unexpected as the issue wasn't originally seen in this version.

With 8.4.1 still installed and some tech help from out support team, we done some digging around and testing. Long story cut short, if we changed the video mixdown to Apple Pro Res MXF and exported that via the exact same QT Ref settings we have always used, Squeeze would now see the video correctly and compress with no issues. As this fixed the issue but leaves us still trying to fix the issue, we went back up to 8.5.

So my question is, has anyone experinced anything like this or can anyone through my way some suggestions to try and see if we can once again use DNxHD as a mixdown option for exporting as QT Ref?

Avid are on the case and can confirm the problem is our end as they have reproduced our setup and had no prolems with mixing down to DNxHD and exporting a QT Ref to Squeeze.

Many thanks for reading and any suggestions/comments welcomed!

Avid MC v8.10.0 / Mojo DX / Mac Pro 6.1 late 2013 / MacOS 10.12.6 / 16 GB Memory / AMD FirePro D500 / 3GHz 8 Core Intel Xeon E5 / LG 34UC98 Ultra Wide... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 5 2016 5:54 PM In reply to

Re: Video Mixdown to DNxHD and QT Ref Export to Squeeze Issue

Sounds like potentially an issue with the DNxHD codecs?  Can you open the QT Ref in QuickTime 7 and play it, outside of Squeeze?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Feb 5 2016 6:47 PM In reply to

• benholden
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 13 2015
    • London, UK
    • Posts 35
    • Points 425

Re: Video Mixdown to DNxHD and QT Ref Export to Squeeze Issue

Hi Kevin,

Yes, that's always worked through out the issue and tests/work around I have experienced/tried.

I have checked the codecs in library/QuickTime and are all correct etc., before or after uninstalling/reinstalling MC.

Avid MC v8.10.0 / Mojo DX / Mac Pro 6.1 late 2013 / MacOS 10.12.6 / 16 GB Memory / AMD FirePro D500 / 3GHz 8 Core Intel Xeon E5 / LG 34UC98 Ultra Wide... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller