Latest post Thu, Feb 2 2017 2:28 PM by Matt. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 24 2016 7:09 PM

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,150
    • Points 13,015

Frameflex issues when used on 'linked' stills

I linked to a bunch of jpegs and cut them into my sequence.

When I went to do some moves with frameflex I got mixed results.

Sometimes, having changed the format to '16:9' - so it filled the raster - this showed up as working in effect edit mode, but back in source/record I was seeing black bars as if it were still set to 'Custom' (where it fits the whole jpeg into the raster, with letter or pillarbox).

Sometimes, having changed format to '16:9' and added a couple of keyframes - adjusting the scale handles in the GUI would result in a fully squashed image. Undoing and using the scale slider in the effect editor was the workaround. But still when switching back to source/record mode the DVE move was not visible. Stepping back into the effect and adjusting position slightly and back out again would fix it. Sometimes.

Loving this as a means of accessing and putting moves on stills - but it still needs a bit of TLC I think

• Thu, Feb 25 2016 5:40 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Re: Frameflex issues when used on 'linked' stills

I would think the 16x9 switch is purely for 16x9 aspect ratio media. The stills would be square pixel. Not sure if that's the issue because I haven't tried it.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Feb 25 2016 7:39 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,150
    • Points 13,015

The format is the target window that the source is viewed through.

So 16x9 is correct to fill HD raster. 

Source & destination remain square pixels

• Wed, Mar 2 2016 5:24 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Yeah just tested it and its very buggy. It won't preview with the effect window open and it jumps back to the wrong AR as soon as I exit effect mode, but i can then see the move, albeit at the wrong AR.

I'd pass until they fix it. Can a mod post this as a bug?

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Mar 7 2016 4:34 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

So see if this workaround works for you - I only did very limited testing but clicking on the "match project raster" checkbox in the effects window appeared to fix it albeit mucking up existing keyframes (meaning you have to re-program move). Very limited testing here.

John

• Thu, Mar 10 2016 4:00 PM In reply to

• Robert B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 7 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,005

Here's a suggestion. I've had issues with Avid not interpreting the metadata correctly when using AMA link with photos. It seems each photo always require manipulating stuff in source settings to maintain the correct aspect.

I suggest importing your photos the "old way" through regular import with the "preserve source image raster" checked (I forget the exact wording). If you are still working in 1080P, switch over to UHD resolution on the format tab BEFORE importing. Now, all your imported stills will be at 4K and you can use Frameflex to manipulate them in your 1080P timeline. If you need higher resolution, you could make your own custom project size that maxes out the Avid's resolution limit and do the same workflow.

Since the media is in DNXHR it is much easier to work with than linking directly to a JPEG. I find this much easier and good enough for most projects. The other benefit is that your photos become media managed by Avid in the MXF media folder, so you don't have to worry about the photos going offline.

-Robert

OFFICE: 3.5 GHz Core i7 Late 2013 Imac running OSX 10.11 with 32GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096 MB. Avid Media Composer 8.5/ Pro Tools 12.4 MOBILE: 17"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 2 2017 2:28 PM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 6 2015
    • Toronto
    • Posts 28
    • Points 325

Interesting workaround Robert! I just posted about this same issue in a thread here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/180044/838592.aspx#838592

I also documented my own workaround, which takes a different approach. Did anyone ever get a response from AVID about this bug? Do we know if it officially logged in their bug database?

Thanks,

Matt 

Mac Pro (late 2013) |OS X 10.12.6 Sierra | 32 GB RAM | Dual AMD FirePro D500 | | MC 2018.4 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller