Latest post Fri, May 18 2018 11:43 PM by radrattus. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 14 2018 12:30 PM In reply to

• radrattus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 9 2018
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Re: G-Raid drive not properly seen by MC 8.6.x

I'd be more interested to see what happens if you don't delete the database. Instead we can try renaming the "1" folder (or so) to something arbitrary to 'freeze' it's contents Surprise

Does that solve the issue after rebooting and opening the problematic bin?

You're the golden goose (for want of a better phrase) becuase you have a way to reliably reproduce the issue.

• Tue, May 15 2018 12:57 PM In reply to

Ok - nailed it (but I don't know why). I laboriously removed clips from my problem bin a few at a time, as suggested and it turned out to be one long linked and spanned clip from a Panasonic 371 camera (51 minutes so several spanned files). The clip played fine and I've used it before. As soon as the bin containing this clip was opened, my G-Raid vanished from the Media Tool and could not be used for rendering, transcoding etc. as I said earlier.

What was frightening was this: I opened the project with all bin shut and successfully used the Media Tool to display all Avid media on my G-Raid. I left the Media Tool results window open and opened the bin with the problem clip. Bam! Everything in the Media Tool vanished. I'm happy to have an answer but I have no idea why this should happen. I might try moving the P2 stuff to a different drive and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Tue, May 15 2018 6:07 PM In reply to

• radrattus
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

There has got to be some kind of subtle case that causes this. Like you I have seen it a heap of times, stretching back as far as releases from 2016.

• Wed, May 16 2018 1:03 PM In reply to

In case it helps anyone, here is what did it for me (but Avid really should look into this) ...

I'd tracked it down to a spanned linked P2 clip causing my drive to vanish. To really test it, I copied the two P2 card folder copies to a different drive (it was a very long take that spanned two cards). I then made a new bin and linked to the cards. The one long clip required both card copies to be mounted in order fo all the media to be online. This was fine. I then quit and deleted one of the card copies from my test drive. Relaunched Media Composer, opened the bin and BANG. My drive (this different drive) vanished from the Media Tool.

Slight change here, though. My test drive still showed up for rendering and after a quick render, I could see it again in the Media Tool.

Still - something weird going on.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, May 18 2018 7:37 PM In reply to

• N1RRD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

I started having the exact same issue today.  My G-Raid suddenly dissappeared for rendering titles, effects, transcodes... but it would still read the media from the drive.  I upgraded to the new 2018.5 version and no change.. And once this issue happens, it effects any other project I open until I relaunch Avid. 

What is odd is that I happend to have an older G-raid on the chain, and that drive (which does not have the footage on it) works fine and shows up as a render source.    

As per an eariler thread, I do have long spanned AMA linked clips from a Sony camera. Perhaps this might be the source of the problem?  If so, what is the solution?  

I'm running a Macbook Pro fully loaded, with OS 10.13.

• Fri, May 18 2018 11:43 PM In reply to

• radrattus
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

We might be starting to notice a pattern with clips that span multiple cards.

N1RRD:

As per an eariler thread, I do have long spanned AMA linked clips from a Sony camera. Perhaps this might be the source of the problem?  If so, what is the solution?

There might not be a solution, but you can work around it.

Restart Media Composer, then hold down 'option' when opening your project. This will cause all bins to stay closed. From here you'll probably find that if you open your bins one by one you'll eventually locate the asset/clip that makes your drive become invisiable.

Somebody in another thread mentioned AVID were looking for a way to reproduce. At this point I think this is about as good as the community can put together from scraps of information. It would be nice to find a fix becuase this is such a pain if/when you have to deal with it.

Stick out tongue 

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller