Latest post Thu, Nov 15 2018 3:33 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 2:01 AM

Embedded Arri LUT not copied to consolidated clips...

Hi all,

I have footage shot on an Arri Amira which the DP embedded a LUT in.  When AMA linked the LUT is applied and I can see it in source settings (it has "embedded" in parenthesis).  When I go to consolidate I am presented with the message;

"Warning some of the selected clips contain embedded colour LUTs.  Due to a limitation, this LUT data currently will not be copied to the generated clips."

When I consolidate, I find that, indeed, the built in LOG to 709 LUT has been applied but the LUT embedded by the DP has not.  

My question is - how do I get this LUT applied to my consolidated clips?  Do I need to get the DP to give me a LUT file of his look seperately? Can I somehow create one from the embedded LUT and save it out and reimport it to apply to the consolidated clips?

The clients and DP really want to see this LUT applied so any help would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andi

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 MC 2018.9.0 Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2016 4:09 AM In reply to

Re: Embedded Arri LUT not copied to consolidated clips...

I'll answer my own question in the hopes that it helps somebody else out.

According to Arri's data on their website, they seem to be unclear whether Avid can parse this embedded data through to the final media.  They mention that it will appear on the clips when AMA'd but there is no mention of what happens if you consolidate.  I don't believe it will work once you transcode or consolidate.  I think you'll get the above error message.  I'm on 8.5.2 currently and I always get that error. 

Here's my workaround.

Download the Arri Colour Tool from their website; https://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/tools/arri_color_tool/

Load up one of your clips with embedded look and go > File > Export > 3D LUT

Now choose File Format: Adobe After Effects (this is the only option which creates a usable .cube LUT in Avid)

Now you can apply this LUT as you normally would through source settings to your consolidated/transcoded material.  

From a brief cursory inspection the new LUT looks identical to the embedded look.

NB - You can only export LUTs from the Arri Colour Tool using the Mac version NOT the PC version.  It's not currently supported.  

Andi

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 MC 2018.9.0 Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 15 2018 12:14 AM In reply to

• nbedu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 15 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I know this post is 2 years old, but have you found a better solution yet?

• Thu, Nov 15 2018 3:33 PM In reply to

I haen't had to use this method again since this occassion so sadly I don't know if this was ever updated by Avid or Arri.  Arri have quite a useful website and offer quite a few downloads of reference files to test on etc. so maybe they have some with looks embedded that you can test on?

Andi

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller