Latest post Fri, Jul 28 2017 5:46 PM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 28 2017 3:31 PM

Red relink question...

I started a project a year or so ago and linked & transcoded our Red files within Media Composer.  From what I understand--and what I've seen--when you're ready to online and you decompose the sequence, Avid won't create subclips of those linked/transcoded shots, so it has to transcode the full clips at online resolution.  Needless to say, on a large project with shots that can be 10-minutes or more, this is a huge transcode-time- and storage- suck.

Moving forward I'd like to transcode to MXF (with ALE and AAF files) in RedcineX for a better offline/online finishing workflow.  I tested it out, and a decomposed sequences using this method will in fact create subclips which can then be transcoded to online rez.

In the meantime, since the project is partially edited, is there a way I can relink the old clips (those linked & transcoded within MC) to new matching media files created in RedcineX?  I found a workflow somewhere that suggested creating a new column in the old bin (let's call it LINK) and copying over the tape name data.  Then import the new RedcineX media into a bin and do the same.  In the old bin, relink the clips using that custom LINK column.  However, it doesn't seem to work for me.

Any ideas or better solutions?

• Fri, Jul 28 2017 5:46 PM In reply to

Re: Red relink question...

My current Red workflow is to AMA link the red sources. Do any Red metadata adjustments as required to produce usable looking playback.

Transcode to an offline resolution.

Cut as required.

Take the offline media offline and relink the final sequence back to the red sources. Transcode to a finishing resolution and grade.

I haven't used the redcinex workflow for 5 years or more. More likely to use Resolve if I had to but it all works in MC.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller