Latest post Tue, Oct 31 2017 12:12 PM by greg@screenscene.ie. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 26 2017 4:58 PM

Downmixer.aax plugin Windows AvidMediaComposer 8.6.5

Hello,

Hopefully I am doing something silly.  A sound editor is looking to provide 5.1 mixes to a video editor and the video editor would like the option of listening to a down mixed stereo or a 5.1 mix depending on the suite he is viewing in.

I can see a downmixer.aax plugin in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins\" along with BF-76.aax, ChannelStrip.aax, Dither.aax, DVerb.aax etc.  When I go to the audio suite I can see most of the plugins but not downmixer (and dither incidentally).  I then found dither when I tried to effect an entire track rather than a clip.  But I have yet to find downmixer.

In protools I can find it under soundfield in the mixer. Has anyone used this plugin in Media Composer and where do I find its settings to adjust?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Greg

• Thu, Oct 26 2017 6:41 PM In reply to

Re: Downmixer.aax plugin Windows AvidMediaComposer 8.6.5

This functionality is built into MC, no need to add the downmixer to a track or bus.

Simply lay a 5.1 track in a sequence, set the Audio Mixer's output setting to stereo, and MC will mix down to LoRo stereo on. The fly.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 27 2017 1:29 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,255
    • Points 39,505

Job ter Burg:

This functionality is built into MC, no need to add the downmixer to a track or bus.

Simply lay a 5.1 track in a sequence, set the Audio Mixer's output setting to stereo, and MC will mix down to LoRo stereo on. The fly.

But what recipe does the MC use for a down mix?  There is no one standard.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Oct 27 2017 6:59 AM In reply to

It creates a LoRo downmix (so unprocessed, no matrix, no LtRt).

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2012/3/1/podcast-follow-up-surround-mixdown-formats.html

To the best of my knowledge, MC does not allow any user control over this process.

if you feel you need more control over the process, you might try to use Neyrinck SoundCode or, if you just need Dolby Pro Logic LtRt, Minnetonka SurCode, but I'm not 100% sure their downmixers work in MC. i own SurCode, I could try that later today.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 27 2017 12:57 PM In reply to

Just tried it. I can take a 5.1 track in my sequence and add the SurCode for Dolby Pro Logic II on it, set it to encode, and it will do an LtRt mixdown, using the Dolby Pro Logic II matrix. It has faders to control individual channel levels, it features an optional limiter, and a loudness analyzer. Point is: you can downmix in MC. Note that the track remains a 5.1 track, the output remains a 5.1 output, with signal coming out of just the L and R channels. There's no difference if I swicth between stereo and 5.1 monitoring, the signal is routed straight though.

So, to the best of my knowledge, MC uses the LoRo downmixer that is also in Pro Tools, but under-the-hood, and without any user control over the process.

Should you need more than the built-in LoRo summing, you might want to check out various downmix plugins.

• Fri, Oct 27 2017 1:26 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,255
    • Points 39,505

Job ter Burg:

Just tried it. I can take a 5.1 track in my sequence and add the SurCode for Dolby Pro Logic II on it, set it to encode, and it will do an LtRt mixdown, using the Dolby Pro Logic II matrix. It has faders to control individual channel levels, it features an optional limiter, and a loudness analyzer. Point is: you can downmix in MC. Note that the track remains a 5.1 track, the output remains a 5.1 output, with signal coming out of just the L and R channels. There's no difference if I swicth between stereo and 5.1 monitoring, the signal is routed straight though.

So, to the best of my knowledge, MC uses the LoRo downmixer that is also in Pro Tools, but under-the-hood, and without any user control over the process.

Should you need more than the built-in LoRo summing, you might want to check out various downmix plugins.

Aweome info!  Thanks for sharing.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Oct 27 2017 2:59 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    to the best of my knowledge, MC uses the LoRo downmixer that is also in Pro Tools

Apologies, I checked this and stand corrected.

MC has its own downmixer built in, it is not the one that is used in Pro Tools.

• Tue, Oct 31 2017 12:12 PM In reply to

Perfect, thank you for the info.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller