Latest post Sat, Dec 9 2017 3:06 PM by jef. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 8 2017 8:25 PM

• RonBourke
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 21 2017
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

1 project - 2 workstations - 1 mac & 1 windows

I am working on an international project where one of the editors is on a Mac in the US and the other on a Windows PC in the Middle East. I've done this before with both workstations Macs and as long as we were working off of media drives that are exact duplicates with the same name, we could just send the project back and forth and share our work.

Will this work now that I'm collaborating on a project where one of the workstations is a Windows PC? The project bagan on my Mac, will the PC be able to work seemlessly off of the same files/bins etc... on their local exFAT drive? 

Also, to duplicate my Mac drive, I'm told I should format the Windows drive as exFAT. The problem is that my Mac drive name has more than the maximum 11 characters that the exFAT allows. How do I change the name of the Mac drive and still link to all bins/media etc...  I tried shortening the name but my media went missing when I opened the project. I appreciate any help!

Ron Bourke  Media Composer  8.8.1  My project has a mix of AMA linked and imported media.

• Fri, Dec 8 2017 9:24 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,352
    • Points 62,775

Re: 1 project - 2 workstations - 1 mac & 1 windows

Ron, exFAT is not a reliable filesystem, MacDrive on the PC side is a much safer option. Drive name is not an issue: MC will see everything belonging to the AvidMediaFiles folder regardless. I regularly move projects back and forth between Mac and PC seamlessly. I think the trouble might be with the non matching location of the linked media, since the file path would be something like [drive letter]:\[path to the linked file] in Windows, while it'll be /[volume name]/[path to the linked file] on the Mac side (please note the lack of the drive letter on the Mac, replaced by the volume name, and the slashes on the PC, replaced by backslashes over the Mac). You'll be better off working with transcoded footage instead of linked files IMHO, or else be prepared to relink the linked clips (!) everytime You move a bin between systems. I'd run some tests before starting the project in a way or another.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Dec 9 2017 12:57 AM In reply to

• RonBourke
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 21 2017
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

Thanks Luca! I had forgotten about Mac Drive.

• Sat, Dec 9 2017 7:51 AM In reply to

I have MacDrive installed on all my PC’s and Paragon NTFS-for-Mac on all my Macs. 

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 9 2017 3:06 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,244
    • Points 39,370

RonBourke:

My project has a mix of AMA linked and imported media.

In my experience, the AMA linked material will give you the most issues. On the Mac, Avid will be looking for a volume name and then the path to the clips.

On the PC Avid will be looking for a drive letter.  This can be dealt with, but is a pain in the ...

I would highly recommend either Consolidating or Transcoding the AMA linked media.  Do not use classic Import.  By doing this, all media will be in Avid MediaFiles / MXF folders.  And as stated in other answers Avid will take care of figuring out what is where regardless of OS type.

Jef 

Edit:  I just realized Luca stated the same!!  Let this be my extended +1 to his suggestion.

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller