Latest post Wed, Dec 20 2017 2:16 PM by SR555. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 15 2017 6:20 AM

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Need help with onlining AMA clips

I have a very large two hour sequence edited and ready for final output.   The files in it are a combination of AMA'd files of various formats - dv, mp4, and so on.   Some small ones have been imported, most have been transcoded to  dnxhd 50.  There are a few photo montages with images as well.Most of the original video was standard definition.

What is the best way to go about transcoding to higher resolution files and getting it exported?  This is the first time I have exported anything substantial from avid.  THere are so many files it would be great if I can only transcode what is used in the sequence, since transcoding the source files (80 hours) would be massive.

THe final output is DVD, ntsc.  

I"m very confused about how to do this - am I transcoding the original files to a higher res format and relinking to that?  Or transoding from the bin?  What's the best resolution? 

I am under a deadline and it would help a lot if someone could get me on the right path here and also help to avoid pitfalls.   I'm under a lot of pressure and am anticipating nightmares. 

Posting this now in hopes of a response but I will continue to look for the answers online and in documentation. 

Thank you

It's probably worth mentioning that I also have a 25 FPS photo montage created by someone else and have to figure out the best way to handle it.

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 16 2017 12:53 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Re: Need help with onlining AMA clips

Bump.  Is anyone there?  

This morning, still trying to figure out what the next step is now that the proxies are edited.  Would be grateful for assistance from anyone.  Thank you

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 16 2017 1:05 PM In reply to

I'd batch import the imported clips to the required finishing resolution.

I'd then transcode the sequence to convert any AMA linked media.

You can work out what clips are in the sequence by using the bin fast menu, set bin display, show reference clips.

Copy those clips to a fresh empty bin and then look at the video resolution to work out what hasn't got the required resolution media.

I'm no fan of mixed up workflows with imported and AMA linked media as it complicates finishing.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Dec 16 2017 1:38 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Thank you thank you Pat, I'm so glad someone is out there.  You will get good karma for this I promise.

I don't understand that workflow.  Would you be willing to break it down even further?  

The clips in the timeline are actually dnx50 proxies,except for a few imported clips from various formats.  How do I get from them (DNX 50s), to the new files?  Also, there are hundreds of source files, most from 2 to 8 hours long and I only used small, selected subclips.   Is there a way to reconnect and transcode only what was used?  

Would DNX 100 or 145 be suffficent for originally standard definition material, going to DVD?  I assume dnx50 is too low for good quality, correct?

Also, a few folders of clips on the hard drive were originally mpeg2 clips, which I transcoded to 720x480 motion jpeg A so that Avid AMA would recognize them.  Would those source files somehow need to be redone for max quality?

The goal is to output this timeline to a decent master for DVD as soon as possible.  Thanks again.

• Sat, Dec 16 2017 2:45 PM In reply to

Thats not an easy thing to resolve online via a forum. Sounds like you need somebody local to help.

Imported clips have to be batch imported and that means the whole clip has to be imported again at the finishing resolution. So slow and space wasteful. Hence why importing isn't a good option when AMA linking is so much mowe flexible.

You have to seperate out the clips that were imported and batch import them (or AMA link them and manually re-cut them in the timeline)

The 270x480 motion jpegs you either have to live with or externally transcode to a dnx codec and re ingest and manually cut in.

How were the dnx50 proxies created? externally to MC or AMA linked and transcoded in MC?

If the later then you need to ensure those AMA clips are online (playable in a bin) and with that bin open relink the timeline to that selected open bin to force the tmeline clips to relink to thse clips. then transcode the sequence.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

• Sat, Dec 16 2017 10:11 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Thank you Pat,

Fortunately there are not too many imported clips.  The vast majority were AMA and I only imported clips that were short, standalone clips.  So they should not be difficult to find and fix. 

The main problem for me is the timeline full of AMA proxies.  They are all "online' in that they play, they are just at DNX 50.   They were created internally in through the consolidate/transcode option.   Basically i ama'd the main clips, subclipped them, and transcoded the subclips to DNX 50.  Then edited with them.

>>If the later then you need to ensure those AMA clips are online (playable in a bin) and with that bin open relink the timeline to that selected open bin to force the tmeline clips to relink to thse clips. then transcode the sequence.

I just want to transcode it to DNX 100 or 145 (which is better?) for a master, which can then be compressed into Mpeg2 for DVD.   I just don't understand how to get the DNX 50s and turn them into DNX 100s.  Are you saying that I just output the whole timeline through the export panel and select DNX 100 as a resolution? Could it possibly be that simple? So no need to independently re-transcode and relink all those clips and jump through a bunch of hoops?

This is the first thing I have outputted from Avid other than exporting some small clips so please forgive this if this is a dumb question. THis is a huge project, very different.  Thank you

• Sun, Dec 17 2017 11:26 AM In reply to

You can't convert Dnx50 to Dnx 100 or 145 (well you can but you would gain no quality improvement)

You have to replace the dnx50 clips with the AMA sources (thats what relink does) then re-transcode to Dnx100 or 145 to produce a timeline of clips at that resolution.

So first ensure all non AMA clips are batch imported as DNx100 or DNx145 and that shows in the timeline.

Then do the relinking step.

Lets be clear your current timeline has lower res DNx50 media anything you do with that be it re Transcode or export and froce the resolution up is just blowing up low res media.

This isn't a bunch of hoops its conforming and finishing a project. probably as important as the edit itself.

That why people and companies do it for a living. Its another skilled step in the process.

-

• Sun, Dec 17 2017 2:02 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Thanks Pat,
    What I meant by hoops was that in video, every time you think it's going to be something simple, it isn't ; you get thrown curveballs you did not anticipate. 

As for the transcode, yeah, a little while after writing that post I thought, that won't work - it would just blow up the 50s.

So once i figure out how to relink the timeline to the AMA clips (no idea yet) are there any pitfalls to avoid or be aware of?  Anything that could royally screw things up I should know about?  It's a very big project and would be a nightmare if that happened.

And just to confirm, the vast majority of these files (hundreds) are standard defintion, with a few (maybe 20) HD.  DNX 50 would not be sufficient, correct?  It is necessary to do it i DNX 100 or 145?

thanks

• Sun, Dec 17 2017 5:53 PM In reply to

Make sure you do a video mixdown to create a guide.

I'd also mix down the finish audio so that doesn't get messed up.

Do a test with the guide video and audio and take it out and make a DVD. How does it look? If its ok great.

Maybe do a sample at 50 and the same bit at 100 and see if they look different.

Finishing an offline edit isn't a curved ball. Its part of the process and it should be planned and tested.

-

• Sun, Dec 17 2017 5:58 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Ok thank you.

By 'guide', just to be sure, you mean draft or finalized copy, right?  Not something different?

I've not done a mixdown before so this should be interesting.

Is this realistic to get done quickly?

• Sun, Dec 17 2017 7:15 PM In reply to

A guide is a mixdaon of the whole sequence. Usually used to ensure you have soimething to check against once the conform is complete.

To conform and finish that lkength programme I'd be looking at a long days work if everything went well and I knew what I was doing.

That woukld give me the finished exported file. The DVD creation would take extra on top.

-

• Sun, Dec 17 2017 7:30 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Oh good lord I was needing to have this out today, or tomorrow at the latest,  just burned to DVD would be ok.   Help?  Is there anything that can be done?  It will take days?

• Sun, Dec 17 2017 8:00 PM In reply to

I'd output what you have. Burn and pray. You don't really have time to perfect.

-

• Sun, Dec 17 2017 9:41 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,360

Thanks. There are a couple small fixes with imported files and then I could output it - but the file quality is quite low.  At least it is something.

How long does it take to do a mixdown of a 2 hour timeline?   Not too many graphics, a few slow motion clips, and rotated cellphone video clips, but mostly dissolves, fades and basics. 

I just watched a tutorial about how to reconnect to the ama files. I'ts a little scary to be honest considering there are maybe thousands of clips.  Looks much easier to reconnect the two in the video.

Was about to make copy of the project and try the relink in that so that the original project would be untouched.

I guess what I"ll do is check my project, mix down a file and output it to a reference file, then make a copy and try the relink. And pray.  pray a lot

• Sun, Dec 17 2017 9:53 PM In reply to

SR555:
    How long does it take to do a mixdown of a 2 hour timeline?

Mixdown speed is mostly dependent on how fast your system processor is. One of the places I work has pretty fast machines, and a 25 minute timeline takes about 15 minutes to mixdown.

SR555:
    I guess what I"ll do is check my project, mix down a file and output it to a reference file, then make a copy and try the relink.

That's what I'd do if I were in your shoes. At the very least you'll have an exported file you can burn to DVD just in case the whole thing goes pear-shaped.

Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller