Latest post Fri, Jan 19 2018 5:39 PM by Ronald Czarnecki. 65 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 27 2017 1:43 PM

What Avid Media Composer Should Have in 2018

Happy holidays to everyone :)

So for 2018, I would hope Avid finishes up its title tool. Also, most importantly, the ability to export your timeline directly to a H.264 MP4 file but not through Quicktime. For us PC users, exporting anything as a Quicktime is extremely and painfully slow.  Perhaps like a "Adobe Media Encoder"-like program inside Avid to be able to encode to H.264 and H.265 would be very helpful.

Right now I keep having to round trip AAFs from Avid to Premiere Pro and back for certain functions. Premiere Pro has an excellent title tool where you just literally type anything on the screen. Very helpful.

Thanks and look forward to your thoughts and comments.

• Wed, Dec 27 2017 4:10 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 396
    • Points 4,615

Re: What Avid Media Composer Should Have in 2018

I'd like to see:

reliable waveform drawing.

rendering via shortcut (hasn't worked properly in 8 years)

what about that bug where audio plugins sometimes won't open until you load another plugin?

what about that bug where focus gets stuck within an audio plugin until you click record monitor.

Why does DNxHR LB media work for a week an suddenly becomes unsupported.

refreshing grouped clips on timeline would be cool if it actually worked.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 27 2017 11:15 PM In reply to

• v-block
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Posts 527
    • Points 6,640

Having grown cynical in my old age, I'm convinced that software companies regard fixing every bug in a present version as comercial suicide. In a similar way that for drug companies, finding cures for desease is comercial suicide, better for them to find a way to medicate people for life. In software development that bug free version, in which all the features work as they should, will always be peeping up from beyond the next subscription. The reality is, it can never be any other way.

Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard, Core i7 920 CPU, Win 7 Pro 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT610, 12GB Corsair 3x4GB CMX-12GX3M3A1333C9 ram in triple channel config... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 28 2017 11:42 AM In reply to

Mix down Video and Audio in Mc make a sequence of just those mixdowns. Do a Same as Source export to make a master final file.

Then use an external app to transcode to H264 or whatever.

But agreed a quick simple h264 export for review copies is a must.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Dec 28 2017 1:51 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,129
    • Points 37,965

Get rid of Frame Flex.

The 3D Warp tool should be able to handle footage of any resolution and pixel aspect ratio.

The current limitations of Frame Flex are below standards for current NLEs and really get in the way of proper post production.

After that, we can talk about the tools missing from 3D Warp. Smile

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Dec 28 2017 2:26 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,275
    • Points 42,325
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

jef:

Get rid of Frame Flex.

The 3D Warp tool should be able to handle footage of any resolution and pixel aspect ratio.

To do this the 3D Warp tool would need a complete rewrite. FrameFlex is resolution independent. 3D Warp is resolution dependent.

Take the example of cropping a 4K frame to HD. With FrameFlex you crop to 50%. There's no scaling involved; you get a 1:1 pixel HD output. When you use 3D Warp you have to scale to 200%. This does a resize, quadrupling the number of pixels (doubling the resolution) and producing a blurrier image.

Easy way to see this is to create an HD project and link a 4K video. Make a sequence, drop in the video, and duplicate the sequence. On one of them add a FrameFlex sized to 50% (center crops to an HD frame). On the other add a 3D Warp and scale to 200% (also center crops to an HD frame). Now compare the two for clarity.

Not that I'm against having a single tool like 3D Warp as the jack-of-all-trades; but changing the behavior may create issues for older projects. Or not. But then again, I also want to change the behavior for a bunch of tools, but that would break a lot of older projects.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.x (generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Dec 28 2017 5:52 PM In reply to

AsafBlasberg:
    Premiere Pro has an excellent title tool where you just literally type anything on the screen.

I still use the old Title Tool for many quick & dirty HD projects.   MC needs to update the Title Tool to work in 4K and at minimum incorporate some of the features that have been in Marquee for years.   Fast titling within MC is a necessity.

MC 8.6.1 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Fri, Dec 29 2017 2:27 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,275
    • Points 42,325
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Terry Snyder:
    MC needs to update the Title Tool to work in 4K and at minimum incorporate some of the features that have been in Marquee for years. 
    That's coming shortly.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.x (generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Dec 29 2017 5:14 AM In reply to

jef:
    The current limitations of Frame Flex are below standards for current NLEs and really get in the way of proper post production.
    Sadly I have to agree 100% with this.

• Fri, Dec 29 2017 11:31 AM In reply to

• v-block
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 527
    • Points 6,640

DStone:

jef:

Get rid of Frame Flex.

To do this the 3D Warp tool would need a complete rewrite. FrameFlex is resolution independent. 3D Warp is resolution dependent.

Take the example of cropping a 4K frame to HD. With FrameFlex you crop to 50%. There's no scaling involved; you get a 1:1 pixel HD output. When you use 3D Warp you have to scale to 200%. This does a resize, quadrupling the number of pixels (doubling the resolution) and producing a blurrier image.

Easy way to see this is to create an HD project and link a 4K video. Make a sequence, drop in the video, and duplicate the sequence. On one of them add a FrameFlex sized to 50% (center crops to an HD frame). On the other add a 3D Warp and scale to 200% (also center crops to an HD frame). Now compare the two for clarity.

Not that I'm against having a single tool like 3D Warp as the jack-of-all-trades; but changing the behavior may create issues for older projects. Or not. But then again, I also want to change the behavior for a bunch of tools, but that would break a lot of older projects.

Maybe a sensible compromise would be to have a frameflex type option added to the 3D Warp tool, so that if you happen to be linking to larger than project format, the option to resize using a frameflex method is available in that tool.

edit

On second thoughts that probably wouldn't work or at least would only work as with a timewarp, where the resize would have to be used first before any of the other 3D Warp options.

Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard, Core i7 920 CPU, Win 7 Pro 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT610, 12GB Corsair 3x4GB CMX-12GX3M3A1333C9 ram in triple channel config... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 29 2017 4:07 PM In reply to

• Bandido
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,005

-Real-time Scopes.

-A 21st century title tool.

-Resizable windows without constrains.

-A more efficient playback engine similar to Adobe's Mercury Playback engine.

2009 Nehalem Dual Quad Core 2.6ghz Mac Pro, 24GB Ram. Mid-2012 Quad Core 2.6ghz Macbook Pro, 16GB Ram. Symphony 7, Media Composer 8.5, Final Cut Studio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 30 2017 8:20 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,164
    • Points 60,705

Ten years have past since this http://community.avid.com/forums/t/59857.aspx not much happened ever since, except for the unflexible FrameFlex, and Avid was already late at the time. We need true resolution indipendence, and that applies to the Avid Title Tool too.

MC 8.9.4, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Dec 30 2017 8:42 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 460
    • Points 5,075

Bandido:
    -A more efficient playback engine similar to Adobe's Mercury Playback engine.

MacPro 2008 3,1 | 26GB Ram | Quadro 4000 GTX 980ti | MC 8.10 | OS 10.10.5 10.11.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644 | LaCie 324 | [view my complete system specs]

• Sat, Dec 30 2017 2:23 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,509
    • Points 58,940

AndrewAction:

jef:
    Sadly I have to agree 100% with this.

Sorry I'm late to the party. What specific deficiencies with frame flex are you referring to? I know there are several but calling out specifics would be useful. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 8.10 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.5.2 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Dec 30 2017 9:13 PM In reply to

jef:

Get rid of Frame Flex.

After that, we can talk about the tools missing from 3D Warp. Smile

Jef

Yes, it does seem that a save-able FX, like 3D Warp would be very handy.

I’m wondering if the new 8K Project/canvas, along with a Keep Original Size” Import or Link/Frameflex, opens up new possibilitites for using 3D Warp to accomplish a “Pan Zoom-type” FX.... once exported from 8K to (in my case) an HD sized file? 

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 5 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller