Latest post Fri, Jan 19 2018 5:39 PM by Ronald Czarnecki. 65 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 30 2017 10:08 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,129
    • Points 37,965

Re: What Avid Media Composer Should Have in 2018

Well there are quite a few.

First thing that hit me when I gleefully played with it when introduced was it's inability to make an image smaller than raster size. Why is that an issue?  What do you do if you want to take a UHD image in a HD project and go from infinitely small to 1:1 pixel size ?  Impossible with Frame Flex.  What happen if you want to push into a UHD image in a HD project and shift it off the screen edge?  Impossible with just Frame Flex.

There are so many instances where you are forced to use both Frame Flex AND the 3D Warp.  Unless I am wrong, this is causing two rasterizations when only one should be required, meaning unneeded image degradation.

These are just a couple of examples of the bad design of Frame Flex.  There really should be only one tool for resizing / repositioning an image.  What we have now is a series of bandaids one on another.

Avid owned DS well before Frame Flex was released.  DS's DVE was res independent.  It is not like there was no knowledge within Avid about what a useful tool should be.  I do not mean to offend any one but it feels as if Frame Flex was designed as Resolution Independence For Idiots.  Just automatically resize an image to the current project raster and call it done.

As limited as it is, Premiere's implementation much more useful than Avids.

And yes, I reaize that changing Frame Flex would be hard.  My client's do not care if the problems I am presented are hard.  They just want solutions.  I feel the same about Frame Flex.

Jef 

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Dec 31 2017 4:37 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 14,210

Tiger_XP:

Bandido:
    -A more efficient playback engine similar to Adobe's Mercury Playback engine.

CUDA! CUDA! CUDA!

As GPU have become the real source of power, would be nice to see our favorite editor enter the 21st century! Stick out tongue

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 31 2017 11:45 AM In reply to

• v-block
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Posts 527
    • Points 6,640

It would be a useful addition to have at least a stabilizer and tracker incorporated into framefrex. I know that can be done in a higher resolution project first, exported and then brought into the lower resolution project using frameflex but that is potentially a lot of extra time and disc space.

Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard, Core i7 920 CPU, Win 7 Pro 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT610, 12GB Corsair 3x4GB CMX-12GX3M3A1333C9 ram in triple channel config... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 31 2017 3:12 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,275
    • Points 42,325
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Removed by author.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC 8.x (generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Jan 2 2018 8:11 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 14,210

And how about a Linux version. Lightworks, Resolve and others do it as it allows to be closer to the core power of the machine.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 2 2018 12:58 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,509
    • Points 58,940

Some good thoughts here and also some ideas that I fundamentally disagree with. If these get added to the next voting cycle we will have an opportunity to voice our opinions. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 3+ | MC 8.10 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.5.2 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jan 2 2018 4:22 PM In reply to

What exactly do you disagree with?

• Wed, Jan 3 2018 10:31 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 749
    • Points 9,275

Playback that doesn't stop whenever you click something on screen... but we have been asking for this since I joined this community so let's be realistic... not going to happen.

Title tool - due mid 2017, not even on display at IBC in Sept - and when it does arrive... really not holding out much hope.

Leverage those Cuda cores in the vid card... another oldie so, yup, unlikely.

Sorry to sound cynical but we have all been asking for these things for years... sub frame audio editing on the timeline, proper FX handling, secondary CC, tabbed timelines, matchframe to subclip, dockable windows, workspaces we can read (those dialogues that blend into the background), projects that dont care what format they are - you decide that on the creation of each timeline.

I really hope 2018 brings something startling to the table that make us sit up - but I fear it wont and with every year we move our projects more and more onto the Adobe platform.

But... despite all this, Avid does involve itself with the community, patches are regularly released, I still enjoy editing on Avid... but it is call "Hordor" around the office :)

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Wed, Jan 3 2018 12:10 PM In reply to

carlgmi:

Playback that doesn't stop whenever you click something on screen... but we have been asking for this since I joined this community so let's be realistic... not going to happen.

Title tool - due mid 2017, not even on display at IBC in Sept - and when it does arrive... really not holding out much hope.

Leverage those Cuda cores in the vid card... another oldie so, yup, unlikely.

Sorry to sound cynical but we have all been asking for these things for years... sub frame audio editing on the timeline, proper FX handling, secondary CC, tabbed timelines, matchframe to subclip, dockable windows, workspaces we can read (those dialogues that blend into the background), projects that dont care what format they are - you decide that on the creation of each timeline.

I really hope 2018 brings something startling to the table that make us sit up - but I fear it wont and with every year we move our projects more and more onto the Adobe platform.

But... despite all this, Avid does involve itself with the community, patches are regularly released, I still enjoy editing on Avid... but it is call "Hordor" around the office :)

Re: Playback that doesn’t stop...

The reason we want it, is to be more productive— for instance, to do some necessary clip renaming/bin cleanup or to look for and find something, get it ready, while the timeline is playing in a screening for a client or producer. The software needs to be agile, do more things at once... all in the foreground.

...workspaces we can read (those dialogues that blend into the background), 

Absolutely need a high-contrast “Craig’s List” interface view that’s legible, legible, legible! It has to do with an editor’s eyesight and real customization vs. what we have now which seems like a homogenized safe “look”, more a symphony of subtle grey tones and pastels...well, we understand all that design, but remember there are MANY. different editors of all ages and as a group, need to SEE whether those too-tiny colored Settings tick-marks are on or off!

... sub frame audio editing on the timeline...

I am glad for and willing to try using the new Source based Slip tool, but is THAT all there is?  How hard could it be to build a groovy render module, like the  “Quick Dissolve” tool? A tool that would simply drill down into the sample space / handles present between a 1 frame edit, allowing a variety of Waveform previews.... listen, select one and BOOM, you’re edit is suddenly even more perfect...

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 3 2018 7:03 PM In reply to

I simply want to be able to modify the Markers window more easily and perhaps even be able to save layouts much the same as I can with Bins.

• Wed, Jan 3 2018 7:22 PM In reply to

• David Parke
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 6 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 18
    • Points 220

I used the audio ducking feature recently because everyone was up in arms about how much they hated it - more that it was put before many other things. That said, it was better than I thought! For the little project I was working on, it was the perfect way to get the "mix" (read: leveling) done for this particular client. I was thinking how that tech could be used in other ways. Here's my favorite that I came up with:

I work on value-added content for Disney features. We wind up with like 6 versions of the film in various degrees of completion thruought the post process. We always have to manually log the changes and update our cuts with the latest feature when we get a new version in. It would be cool to load the new feature into the source side and the old feature timeline in the record monitor and run a comparison that leaves markers where the features change. It would likely have to stop every time a change was noticed but I think it could be a useful feature and someone FAR smarter than I could figure a way to make that more feasible. Maybe start from the end and work its way forward? Not sure but I feel like there's something there.

Also I would love the ability to export items with an embeded alpha.

MacPro 3,1 8-Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz 28GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4096 MB | BM IntensityPro 4K | Archion shared storage | MC 8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 3 2018 8:55 PM In reply to

• Nick Pitt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 3 2018
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Subframe audio editing would be such a step forward and long, long overdue (as is a new title tool). Not sure how you'd reflect it in passing audio to pro tools, but I don't really care as it would make such a difference all the rest of the time. And knowing how long it's taken Avid to achieve some of the updates I've wanted, in some cases many years, I reckon it will happen eventually.

• Thu, Jan 4 2018 5:47 PM In reply to

Audio Mixer. My broken record request.... (asking since the last millenium)

Many of us cannot use "stereo tracks" because of the format change in timelines and massive conversion necessary for exsiting music libraries.

SO:

Minimum: add a gang/group button between audio mixer faders that lets us gang adjacent faders together.

Even better:  let us turn faders from 2 tracks or more into one fader.

Best: Let us totally combine mono tracks (as a user preference, not a track format) so they appear as one track in both the timeline and mixer. (so they function just like stereo tracks)

AND: add an option to treat "dual mono" clips as "stereo tracks" without them actually being one. So when we load a "dual mono" clip into the source window we get only one fader. Make it possible to patch into stereo tracks without having to convert it.

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jan 4 2018 9:06 PM In reply to

All great points folks, well, even with all these limitations, i still prefer editing on Avid than Premiere. Solid media management for sure. Yes, Avid lacks what Adobe has - amazing titler, easy ability to import and create graphics. etc. etc. I just feel that Avid's strength is in the editing tools. Basically what I do now is AAF export from timeline and then bring it into Premiere. Then do all my color correction, add titles and graphics in Premiere and finally export using AME to H264 4K 60P for YouTube output.

One very interesting thing I noticed. If you have a DNxHR project and have DNxHR media, if you do a digital cut, you do NOT need to render any basic effects such as cross resolves! You CANT do this in Premiere without dropping frames. Just FYI.

• Thu, Jan 4 2018 11:43 PM In reply to

• brett
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 17 2010
    • tampa
    • Posts 38
    • Points 530

Smoother Playback, drag and drop clips onto timeline I don't know any other software that makes you wait and wait and wait, then on top of that having red lines and playback that's horrific.  Being able to export various formats, using mulltiple frame rates in the same timeline like every other NLE out there, syncing audio within project, did I mention smoother playback?  IF Resolve had avids timeline and made it easier to slip the edit that would be rock solid NLE.  Avid blows at the end of the day.

i73930k 3.2 6 core i7 with 32gb of ram GTX1070 1.5tb solid state drive in this system. [view my complete system specs]

3930k  32gb of ram.

MC 8.8

Page 2 of 5 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller