Latest post Fri, Jan 19 2018 5:39 PM by Ronald Czarnecki. 65 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 15 2018 11:37 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,232
    • Points 39,230

Re: What Avid Media Composer Should Have in 2018

That is basically my workflow but I use After Efects and make PNG files if static and one of several codecs if animated.  Not that big a deal.

But we really should not have to do it.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Jan 15 2018 11:37 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,357
    • Points 96,705

I completely agree - we shouldn't.  By the way, the main reason that I used PNG sequences was that if minor tweaks were needed we could have just done the sections altered.  As it turned out it was un-needed.

Interestingly there was another factor that came into the equation.  We actually tested exporting DNxHD files and the total effects package came to 10.5 GB.  When we exported exactly the same package as PNG sequences they came in under 1 GB.  Since we were interchanging via the net the smaller upload/download times of the PNG sequences more than compensated for the longer Avid import times.

Why was the DNxHD version so unexpectedly large?  We didn't explore that, but it was interesting enough to note for future reference.

[EDIT] But if you think that Avid's titling is at best rudimentary, try Lightworks.  Their title effect doesn't even make rudimentary.  Every time you change font, size or weight it's a new effect.  Background colour is a new effect, as are text boxes.  Hence my use of Photoshop in the example earlier.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 16 2018 2:22 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,376
    • Points 43,575
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

jwrl:

Interestingly there was another factor that came into the equation.  We actually tested exporting DNxHD files and the total effects package came to 10.5 GB.  When we exported exactly the same package as PNG sequences they came in under 1 GB.  Since we were interchanging via the net the smaller upload/download times of the PNG sequences more than compensated for the longer Avid import times.

Why was the DNxHD version so unexpectedly large?  We didn't explore that, but it was interesting enough to note for future reference.

Depending on what version of DNxHD you're using you can either end up with something small and highly compressed, or minimally compressed and quite large. It's a toss-up between quality and size. Less compressed obviously imports and edits faster. PNG is compressionable using a lossless algorithm, but it obviously takes a lot more time to read in (and is transcoded to DNxHD when you do). If you end up saving more time importing vs. time spent transferring over the net, then the PNG solution is a really good one.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 16Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Jan 17 2018 6:18 PM In reply to

• mtahir
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • UK
    • Posts 479
    • Points 5,840

Picking up in the discussion on what students are using... both my boys were brought up on Avid. It was the first NLE they used. I just sat with them, explained how it worked, and they pushed a couple of short films through. I told them that if you want the best, then it's Avid. Wink

One of my sons is now studying media as part of his A-Levels (pre-university) and he's using Premiere. One of the reasons is that his college uses it, so if he takes anything home, he can open that project at school. The other reason is this: Premiere + AfterFX integration. He uses AfterFX a great deal and that integration of the Adobe tools is what's pulling him in. Before, on non-college projects, he would switch to Avid. However, he's using Premiere more now because of his increasing use of AfterFX. None of this friends have heard of Media Composer.

How many times have we discussed integration of, say, MC with ProTools, let alone anything else, on this forum...? 

MC2018.1 (Win7) | Dell T7500 with 2 x 6-Core Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz CPUs | Triple-Channel 64GB (32GB per CPU) 1333MHz DDR3 EEC FBDIMM | 3GB nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 18 2018 11:39 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,551
    • Points 59,475

Many times...

i was hoping that Fusion integration would provide the alternative to Primiere / After Effects but I simply haven't invested the time to learn Fusion.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Fri, Jan 19 2018 5:39 PM In reply to

I was using Boris Red intregration but have switched to After Effects. It would be a plus to have AE workflow. 

MC Version: 2018.2 System: PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K... [view my complete system specs]

MC 8.4.5     Built Workstation-Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

Page 5 of 5 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller