Latest post Wed, Jan 10 2018 12:43 AM by jwrl. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 7 2018 12:24 AM

• xglorx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 6 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Building a PC for the first time - Avid compatible?

Hi everyone!

I"ve compiled this list from partpicker and I couldn't find any documentation that will tell me if this will work with avid 8.5

Would anyone be able to comment on this build with Avid compatibility? Many thanks :)  Gloria

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/h7QtXH

• Sun, Jan 7 2018 5:06 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,841
    • Points 24,085

Re: Building a PC for the first time - Avid compatible?

The part list that you have should be OK.  My question is, What are you going to use for storage of your video files?  I would go with at least a 1 gig hard drive for my OS and programs.

Denny

Media Composer 8.5.4, BCC 10.0.0074, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Red 5.5.2.1382, Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 7 2018 5:24 PM In reply to

I'd go bigger than 1GB for OS. 512GB SSD min

For media I tend to still like 2 x 7200 RPM spinning SATA drives RAID 0 2TB each would give 4TB storage.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 12:21 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,342
    • Points 96,460

My current boot drive is 1 TB SSD.  I suspect that may have been what was meant, and not 1GB!

For storage I have four 2 TB drives in a RAID 5 configuration, giving roughly 5.5 TB of fast safe storage.  They're marginally slower than a striped pair, but I have had cause to appreciate the security that RAID 5 gives.  It was some years back now, but I still remember my client being delighted that after a hard drive burn out (literally, but that's another story) we lost half a day while I sourced and installed a replacement drive.

The rebuild happened in the background and took around a day.  Admittedly the system felt slightly clunky while rebuilding, but we were able to continue working.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 8 2018 5:42 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 753
    • Points 9,315

If the machine is a "clean" editing system with Avid/Adobe and similar programs only installed then 500G SSD is plenty.  Go for quality SSDs - we stick with the Intel server grade ones as they have a high reliability life cycle.  We have had problems with consumer grade SSDs in our other dektops failing over time.

One thing to remember when thinking about the OS SSD is "virtual RAM" allocation.  With 64g+ of RAM common, windows "wants" to allocate 90Gb+ to virtual memory - that makes a 250Gb SSD marginal.

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 2:20 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,565

Have you looked at the X299 chipsets?   I have been  considering them.  Also did you do a power supply calculation?  Seems like your choice might be a bit tight.  I just lost my PSU and ordered a 1050 - might be a bit overkill - I did several claulations and I need  about 850.   That is with a video card that only draws 75 watts.

There are several sites you can check:

http://support.asus.com.cn/powersupply.aspx?slanguage=en

http://www.powersupplycalculator.net/

Symphony 2018.4 - Win 10 pro, Asus PrimeZ270 with i7 7700 cpu, Quadro P2000,32gig memory, 500gig SSD system drive, WD 5TB,and 2TB media drive,matrox mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 8 2018 3:17 PM In reply to

Re RAID 5 setups. I've stopped using them for some years now. Its not uncommon for one of the remaining drives to fail during the rebuild work load leaving no data. RAID 01 or 10 is the safer bet. But for media drives I tend to go with RAID 0 and then do regular copies to a non RAID drive. Storage is so cheap now RAID 5 just isn't worth the hassel. RAID 10 is better.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 6:33 PM In reply to

• xglorx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 6 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

I have but the build is more expensive and I can't use the Intel i7 8700, it will only let me pick the intel i7820x. 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RWzY6X

The value for 8700 seems a better and it's slightly faster.  

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7820X/3937vs3928

And thanks for the heads up about pSU, looking into that now!

This is my first build and I'm not the most technical so this has been a steep learning curve, most of my information is from either my DIT friend or forum after forum so thanks for all the opinions and help everyone :)

• Mon, Jan 8 2018 10:20 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 410
    • Points 4,775

Sorry Pat, I still swear by raid 5. Raid controllers have improved quite a bit the last 10 years.

I'm sitting atop 1.2GB/s reads, whats not to like? Writes are worse than Raid 10 course.

Raid is not a backup, neither 5 nor 10. I even lost a Raid 6 array once, batch of bad drives.

High end enterprise drives are not cheap, 8x 12TB drives set you back 4 large. comes to 48TB Raid 10 but 84TB as Raid 5.

And of course you need everything double, because: Backups.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 8 2018 11:06 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 708
    • Points 10,820

I'm not sure if you'll find anyone anywhere anymore who recommends Raid-5.  They are incredibly prone to complete data-loss.  I would imagine many people here have known people who have lost all their data in a Raid-5 array (my co-worker did about 4 years ago).  They are probably the most dangerous thing you can do - and most computer folks will tell you the same thing. Regardless, if it's not for data redundancy, what's the point?

Personally, I have my two media drives in a Raid-1, so that if I'm editing and lose a drive, I can finish my work without missing a beat.  

If the purpose of multiple drives is to keep working, use a Raid-1 or Raid-10.  If you don't care about that, I don't see much benefit in a Raid array at all.

A Raid-5 is just the worst of all-worlds. 

Media Composer 8.X (usually newest release), Avid matrix-recommended versions of both Nvidia driver and Quicktime, Matrox Mini MX02, Self-built machine... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Tue, Jan 9 2018 7:39 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 410
    • Points 4,775

The most dangerous thing is your motherboard's onboard controller.

my estimate is, you'll loose all data on a hardware raid 5 array about once in 75 years

A power surge kann kill your raid 1 array, so can contrller error. seen it both.

i use raid 5 because it's the most bang for the buck and has good read performance.

I run daily backups between Raid 5 arrays, safer than all of the above.

If i had to rely on a single array it'd be raid 6. safer than 10 and  the only thing that protects against bit-rot.

MC 8.4.4 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX 1070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 10 2018 12:43 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,342
    • Points 96,460

I can only restate: I have good cause to be thankful for RAID 5, which allowed me to continue working on a project with no loss of data while the rebuild happened.

And of course as Lukas says, nothing beats a good backup regime.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller