Latest post Fri, Jan 12 2018 2:42 PM by AsafBlasberg. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 12 2018 5:35 AM

Stable Reference Sync Error

Hi everyone. I'm getting a Stable Reference Sync NOT Going into Deck Error

I have a Sony HDW-D1800 and need to perform a Digital Cut to an HDCAM tape. I have a Decklink 4K 12G SDI Extreme card. Do I need to purchase an external sync generator from Blackmagic or AJA? Any advice folks?

• Fri, Jan 12 2018 10:03 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 444
    • Points 5,580

Re: Stable Reference Sync Error

It's been a long time since I've done a digi cut, but as I remember things, there are a couple of options available in professional Sony decks regarding reference sync.

In the first instance, you can choose to feed an external sync to your recorder from a sync source. This would normally be the setup in a larger facility with a number of recorders etc and a master sync generator. You can of course do the same thing for a single Avid and recorder setup by hooking up a suitable sync generator to both your Decklink hardware and the digi deck. You would then set both of these to external reference.

The second method is simply to leave the Avid set to internal sync and set the digi deck to get it's reference from the incoming video.

I suspect in your case the deck is probably set to external sync. This might be the case if the deck is hired, as it will be set to whatever mode it was in with the previous hirer. Some hire companies reset their machines to a default state between hires, which might set the reference to external.

If I'm remembering correctly, to set the deck to video reference, you need to investigate the Sony's menus under VIDEO PROC and set the reference to INPUT.

HP Z800,HP8600,HP8760WSonnetFusion RAID, Mediadock U320, Classic Nitris Mojo DXSymphony 5,6 & 8.5 JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 12 2018 2:42 PM In reply to

Re: Stable Reference Sync Error

That resolved it, thank you so much.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller