Latest post Fri, Jan 26 2018 4:10 PM by Bruno M. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 25 2018 2:43 AM

My a7S XAVC footage when transcoded to DnxHD won't import into MC

I'm fairly new to cutting in AVId and as the title suggests I shot some footage the other day on my a7S. 

When I transcode in Davinci/ME or any other transcoding software to a suitable MC codec  AVID won't take the file. I get the error

"You cannot import this file into a bin. See the documentation for information about transferring media files."\

I've been banging my head against a wall trying to figure out why. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Fri, Jan 26 2018 12:16 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 916
    • Points 11,725

Re: My a7S XAVC footage when transcoded to DnxHD won't import into MC

In the first place I recommend to buy the nablet XAVC S AMA-Plugin. which enables direct linking/importing into Media Composer.

If DaVinci Resolve can read the files natively, you can place them on a timeline inside Resolve, and select "Deliver" tab. In the Deliver UI select "Expport to Avid". This selection lets you define the codec you like (Avid DNxHR/DNxHD). You will get a set of MXF-files together with an aaf-file 

Copy the all files into a new folder under Avid MediaFiles\MXF\<number>. Juast take any unused number, e.g. "10".

Open Media Composer, create a new bin, and import either the .aaf or the .mdb file. In the first case you get the timeline from Resolve with all clips into the bin, in the second case you just gets all clips (no timeline) into the bin.

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Fri, Jan 26 2018 4:10 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 560
    • Points 7,130

Re: My a7S XAVC footage when transcoded to DnxHD won't import into MC

If it's your intention to export separate files from Resolve (ie. one file per clip) along with your AAF, it's important to select the right 'flavour' of MXF file to bring into the Avid Mediafiles folder structure. The only type of file that can live here is the 'OP atom' format, not any other type of MXF file (like OP 1a). These files differ in a number of ways, including the fact that they are single stream files - that is, they're just video or mono audio.

It's usually a good idea to put these files into their own folder, so if you already have an Avid Mediafiles/MXF/1 folder, you should create (say) a '10' folder and put your files there. Avid will then create new database files within this folder when it starts. If Avid flags that there's some problem with any of these files, you'll have an easeir time isolating the culprit.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller