Latest post Wed, Apr 11 2018 7:25 PM by glitch. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 7 2018 9:39 PM

• Intini
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2015
    • Brazil
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Media Composer | First - Crashing on starting

Hi, everyone,

I am old in Audio forums, but I am trying to start into the video Universe.

I read another thread where the poster had an i5 and that was possibly the problem. However, I have the same MacBook Pro but with an i7 - so if that WAS the problem, it should work for me(?) - it isn't. I am going to list its specs here:

Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch early 2011, Intel Core i7 2,7 GHz, 16GB RAM 1333MHz DDR3, 1TB SanDisk SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD, macOS High Sierra 10.13.4. Now, there is only ONE graphics processor in this MacBook Pro and that is the embedded Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB. It does NOT have a "discrete" graphics card. But this is not in the AVID requirements - as far as I could see. 

I am running Media Composer | First 2018.4.0 and it just quits unexpectedly when MC | First is "Initializing Composer Windows" - I guess it is the last step(?).

This computer had a fresh install of the macOS X and has nothing else installed.

I use Pro Tools for a long time (LE, HD, and now the latest versions) and Sibelius Ultimate, etc. So, I am not a beginner. But I am new to MC. I want to use it to stay with AVID for video, music and composition. Can anyone help? I tried posting a ticket in the support, but I was told MC | First's support rely on this forum. So, here I am! Smile

Any help will be much, much appreciated.

Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch early 2011, Intel Core i7 2,7 GHz, 16GB RAM 1333MHz DDR3, 1TB SanDisk SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD, macOS High Sierra 10.13.4. Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 7 2018 10:03 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,160
    • Points 217,415
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Media Composer | First - Crashing on starting

Hey there

Welcome to the Video side.....  

i7 is part of the requirements. As for the graphics.....  NVIDIA GeForce family, Intel HD4000/5000, ATI Radeon or AMD Radeon Pro Graphics and driver must be supported by Apple.  The 3000 should be fine.

You might need a tad more RAM for graphics.   Mac computers using newer versions of Intel HD Graphics as the primary GPU dynamically allocate up to 1.5GB of system memory.  

Models with Intel HD Graphics 3000:

• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
    • MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011)
    • MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011) 
    • Mac mini (Mid 2011)
    • Mac mini Server (Mid 2011)

A discrete GPU provides high-performance graphics support using discrete video memory. An integrated GPU provides effective graphics support and shares video memory with the main system.

Can you add a card?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Apr 7 2018 10:24 PM In reply to

• Intini
    • Not Ranked
    • Brazil
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Hi, Marianna,

Thank you so much for replying on a Saturday night and for the warm welcome!

I couldn't find external thunderbolt 1 (my MBP has thunderbolt one) graphics cards - I am still in search, would you care to recomend one? Ideally, an external TB card that would work with TB 3 later on. I understand I need an external TB Case for a GPU. But is there a combo that you would recommend? Something that would definately work with MC?

However, having said that, for now I would prefer to use the HD 3000 only because I am still getting used to MC. If I like it - and I think I will - I will get a new computer for it. Therefore, I really want to put THIS machine to work. The external card solution is for later.

So, to the solution now Smile, I have found a way to increase the video memory allocation for my HD3000 using some macOS X terminal commands. Since I have 16GB, I will try to allocate 1.5GB for the Intel HD 3000 then. I hope it works! I will get back here with the answer soon!

Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch early 2011, Intel Core i7 2,7 GHz, 16GB RAM 1333MHz DDR3, 1TB SanDisk SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD, macOS High Sierra 10.13.4. Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 8 2018 1:37 AM In reply to

• Intini
    • Not Ranked
    • Brazil
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Hi, Marianna,

Well, I did not find how to change from 512MB to 1GB for High Sierra. I found a way for Yosemite, but it didn't work on High Sierra. So, can MC | First run with 512MB on my MBP with i7? Is there anything else I can do?

If not, then do you have any suggestion for an external graphics card for my MBP?

Thank you so much for any input.

Intini

• Wed, Apr 11 2018 7:25 PM In reply to

• glitch
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 1,021
    • Points 12,150

Media Composer doesn't crash but Media Composer First launched once correctly but now it crashes on starting.

MacPro "Trashcan" Matrox MX02 MINI MAX MacBook Pro, Black Magic box [view my complete system specs]

Have an issue? Here's a tissue.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller