Latest post Tue, Apr 24 2018 7:56 PM by Chad. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 24 2018 1:18 AM

• Chad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 13 2011
    • Canada
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

Relink Clips to Clips w/Different Timecode

Hi there wonderful community,

I'm just finishing up a feature edit in Media Composer, and have wound up in a bit of a mess which I'm hoping for some suggestions to solve. All the footage was sync'd and transcoded to DNxHD for me by a local post house (it was shot on Alexa XT), and all worked great throughout the cut. We were ready to lock and send off for the online edit, but they were unable to reconnect the media in DaVinci Resolve.

Why? Because it turns out the proxies that were created for me don't have matching timecode to the raw camera footage. The guys who made the proxy media dropped the ball somehow (and then so did the rest of us by not noticing until now).

I do also have some h264 proxies that were created alongside the DNxHD footage which DO have the correct timecode. I've tested a small sequence with these clips and they do relink properly to the raw footage in Resolve.

I would love it if somehow I could relink my timeline (or master clips, etc) to these other h264 proxies (either by AMA, or even if I have to re-import and transcode them), however all my efforts to relink have failed; I assume because the timecode doesn't match, even though everything else does (filenames/durations are identical).

I know this should have been caught before hand, but now we have a 100 minute film with a thousand cuts, and I'd really love to not have to replace every single clip manually.

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who has any ideas on how to solve.

Chad

Mac Pro (Late 2013) / 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 / 32 GB ram / dual AMD FirePro D700 6 GB [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Apr 24 2018 3:02 AM In reply to

• Glenno
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 19 2008
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,120

Re: Relink Clips to Clips w/Different Timecode

You could try adding Auxillary Timecode to your DNx transcodes. Make the Aux code the same as the original files on all the source clips. Then relink and choose Aux code for orginal and Start time for target. It should now link to the clips which have the correct timecode.

Or instead of rlinking you could just make an EDL and telling the list tool to use Aux1 timecode instead of Start TC. The EDL could then be conformed in Resolve.

Or it may be possible to conform in Resolve even though the timecode is different.

Load the camera orginals into Resolve and load your AAF or EDL. Open the sequence then choose File/Reconform from bins. Uncheck Timecode but check Total Duration, File name or Reel name (whatever you think will match) press Okay and cross fingers!

• Tue, Apr 24 2018 7:56 PM In reply to

• Chad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 13 2011
    • Canada
    • Posts 4
    • Points 30

Re: Relink Clips to Clips w/Different Timecode

You're right, the auxilary timecode is the key. I'd tried relinking the clips from auxilary to start as you mentioned, with no success, but hadn't thought of creating an EDL using the auxilary TC instead... I haven't used EDLs in years.

It works! Thank you. Saved me hours and hours, I'm sure.

Now off to figure out how this could have happened in the first place...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) / 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 / 32 GB ram / dual AMD FirePro D700 6 GB [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller