Latest post Sat, May 5 2018 8:19 PM by Patrick Loiseau. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 5 2018 8:19 PM

Sync lock behavior

Hi everonye,
    I have opened a support ticket regarding the sync lock behavior in SPLICE-IN, TRIM and STEP-IN modes and I wonder if I am the only one having trouble understanding how it works (AVIS support tells me what I think is a bug is an expected behavior of the tool).
    I talked to a few editors around me and they told me they rarely use the trim mode in single roller, because they don’t trust what happens in the sequence then. But they seem to have the same opinion as me when presenting the situation.

For what AVIS suppor tells me what I read in AVID documentation, here is my conclusion :

When performing SPLICE-IN or EXTRACT, a track that is SYNC LOCK and SYNC will forbid any action in this track or any other track that is also SYNC. (see video further down from 0 to 1 min 45 sec)

When performing a trim in TRIM MODE (SINGLE ROLLER), tracks that are SYNC will be ignored in the process if they are also SYNC LOCK, because the SYNC LOCK will cancel the SYNC function. (see video further down from 1 min 45 sec to 2 min 24 sec)

When performing a STEP IN, tracks that are SYNC will be ignored in the process if they are also SYNC LOCK, because the SYNC LOCK will cancel the SYNC function. This is clearly visible in the video from 2 min 45 sec to 3 min 18 sec, since all the tracks in the sequence are SYNC LOCK and SYNC, thought the one track that is SYNC and not SYNC LOCK can be opene in STEP IN and its duration changed.

See Youtube video here : https://youtu.be/FBSLYKr1Hfk

The fact that in SPLICE-IN or EXTRACT, the SYNC LOCK will prevent any action in any track that is SYNC is an expected behaviour for me.

The fact that in TRIM MODE (SINGLE ROLLER) and STEP IN, the SYNC LOCK simply cancels the SYNC on the track that it’s applied to is an UNEXPECTED behaviour for me. I know that in Media Composer, you can perform the same action in different ways, but in that case, I don’t understand why the SYNC LOCK would only cancel the SYNC? I don’t understand why the SYNC LOCK would act as if you only unchecked the SYNC? It should always act as a blocker to perform any action in any situation.
    My last thoughts are that if the SYNCK LOCK behaviors previously described are exactly as AVID intended, the name of the function should be changed from SYNC LOCK to TRACK LOCK when in TRIM MODE (single roller) and STEP-IN.
    I would conclude stating that the Oxford Dictionary defines «Synchronisation» by «The operation or activity of two or more things at the same time or rate.», thus proving my point that in TRIM MODE 9single roller) and STEP IN, the SYNC LOCK function would require to keep the sync between all tracks with SYNC activated AND forbids any action that could change the duration of the selected tracks.

What are you thougts, anyone ?

(EDITED by Moderator to fix formatting.)

Nitris DX and AVID Artis IO, MC 2018.4 (symphony option), OS 10.11.6, MacPro, 2 X 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, RAM 32 GB 1066 MHz DDR 3. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller