Latest post Tue, May 15 2018 10:08 PM by Mark Moskowitz. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 11 2018 11:59 PM

• NinaLu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 12 2013
    • Posts 28
    • Points 320

What happened to AMA linking from existing clips in a bin?

Just upgraded from 8.3.1 to 8.9.4 and cannot find a way to AMA link an existing clip/media file that has moved directories. Is there still a way to do this? In 8.3.1 you just right clicked, chose AMA link and navigated to the location of the source file.

I've received a project where syncing had been done via AMA linking rather than creating Avid media and then it was copied onto a drive for me and I need to relink everything.

I've discovered that if I option-drag the picture clips into a bin the existing clips in the original bin will link up as if they are the same clip. However, this is not working for the sound wav files.

So I need to be able to link the existing sound clips to the media that they were linked to before but find no way to do that. All the file menus are different and so many things have been moved around I'm hoping I just haven't found it yet, but I have this nagging feeling that I've read that this option isn't there any more.

So is this method hidden somewhere that I can't find?

Found the 'Source Browser' but that doesn't help my situation - at least not that I have found - as using it still doesn't let me link the original clips that were AMA'd. It makes new AMA clips which don't link to the existing clips' media (same media though, just copied to another drive) so the already synced clips have offline audio.

Don't want to have to resync everything. Is there a solution? Maybe I will go back to 8.3.1 to deal with this. I think Avid may have maimed the AMA process though, but I must just be missing something.

• Sat, May 12 2018 4:47 AM In reply to

• NinaLu
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 28
    • Points 320

Re: What happened to AMA linking from existing clips in a bin?

Went back to 8.3.1 and with guidance from elsewhere found out the command I'm looking for and...

it seems you can only do what I need to do with picture clips, not audio clips. The "Relink to AMA files" only appears for picture clips and is greyed out for audio.

So is there really no way to relink to AMA'd audio files?

• Sat, May 12 2018 11:24 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,052
    • Points 11,975

I’m on 2018.4.1 but I successfully relinked a transferred project (from Mac to PC, both with local storage and copies of all media) by viewing the folders via source browser (thus Media was indexed and relinked automagically).

Would be nice to be able to right click a volume or parent folder and have all the child folders indexed.

• Sat, May 12 2018 4:05 PM In reply to

• NinaLu
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 28
    • Points 320

Thanks for doing that!

I went back to 8.9.4 again... let me see... Nope. Not working as needed. 

Using the Source Browser and navigating to the wav files and asking to link creates new AMA clips in the bin rather than linking the existing clips. So the synced clips still have offline audio as the existing clips didn't link and the new ones have no relationship to the synced clips. Is there a way to connect the new AMA to the synced clips?

Is there a command I'm missing to have it link the existing clip rather than create a new one?

Did you have audio only clips that were AMA'd to wav files?

EIDT:

So we did a test of transcoding the audio to mxf and sending to me for a couple clips to see if it would link to the synced clips. The odd thing is after I did the media relink, one of the clips linked to the mxf files in the 1 folder and one of them linked to the AMA wav files. Both showed up online.

So I tried the media link method on the AMA linked wav file and it worked except for 2 clips! I don't think it's supposed to work though. And lo and behold, when I try this on the next day's wavs it didn't link anything, other days no linking either. That's what I expected, but why did the first day link AMA clips using the media link?

I thought I had found a fairly easy solution but just voodoo again as far as I can see...

• Tue, May 15 2018 10:08 PM In reply to

We have an 8-hour show, and put all the Original Camera Clips on a single 16TB array, with all directoriies the same. And could find no way to point to the new drive or top directory to AMA re-link them all in one click. Something every piece of software I've used since 1993 could do. The advice I got wasro re-link every single camera folder from every single original backup drive from the AMA to the new array. This took 8 hours. Then another week re-conforming the show because of 3 things: weird erros where Take 31 would appear for Take 37 or some such. Errors where file names were original file names were duplicates and swapped, and errors, and any clips from a Sony A7 would not link/conform at all.  And had to be individualy found, transcoded and re-inserted, all before going to AAFs and Resolve. The whole process took ten days for soemthing I thought might take 2 hours.

Lesson: appears as of now you cannot AMA link to anything whre you changed any aspect of the directory strucxture, even top-level drive, and there is no manula way to sinply re-link to all in one swoop.

If I'm wrong, would love to know the method.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27 inch, late 2015) 4ghz Intel Core i7, 64gb 1867 mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096mb, OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, Avid MC 8.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller