Latest post Thu, Nov 1 2018 3:02 PM by nigelad. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 24 2018 11:52 AM

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 526
    • Points 6,100
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

No audio output except when playing calibration tone!

Hi

I'm trying to set up an SDI audio de-embedder and can't get audio output from any project media.

But if I select 'play calibration tone' it plays loud and clear.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 24 2018 1:16 PM In reply to

Re: No audio output except when playing calibration tone!

Could sample rates be at play?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 25 2018 9:18 AM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 526
    • Points 6,100
      Avid Certified User

I've tried different sample rates and bit rates with no success.

I think there must be somethign about the routing when you play calibration tone - 

if I generate tone media then it doesn't play either.

So only the "live" calibration tone audio is being embedded in the SDI output from my BMD Ultrastudio 4K

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 25 2018 10:11 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 553
    • Points 7,055

nigelad:

I've only ever seen this when the project sample rate doesn't match the media.

You should be able to see what your media sample rate/bit depth is by bringing up the appropriate column in the bin.

Have you checked the Audio Project settings as well as the SDI embedded options?

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 25 2018 3:33 PM In reply to

In audio project settings, under the Output Tab, do you have SDI enabled? Right bit rate? Routing to the right channels?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 26 2018 8:07 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,025
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Check the decoder to see which stream it's decoding.  There are 2.  It might be seeing tracks 5-8 rather than 1-4.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Oct 27 2018 2:33 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 526
    • Points 6,100
      Avid Certified User

hbrock:

Check the decoder to see which stream it's decoding.  There are 2.  It might be seeing tracks 5-8 rather than 1-4.

Thanks.I believe I have the DIP switches set correctly, but will check again.

Would'nt 'play calibration tone' use channels 1 and 2?

Nigel

• Sat, Oct 27 2018 2:35 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 526
    • Points 6,100
      Avid Certified User

Job ter Burg:

In audio project settings, under the Output Tab, do you have SDI enabled? Right bit rate? Routing to the right channels?

I don't see any SDI option in Audio Project settings?

The only options are channel config [stereo] and mix output, set to 1,2.

Nigel

• Sat, Oct 27 2018 2:39 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 526
    • Points 6,100
      Avid Certified User

Bruno M:

nigelad:

I've only ever seen this when the project sample rate doesn't match the media.

You should be able to see what your media sample rate/bit depth is by bringing up the appropriate column in the bin.

Have you checked the Audio Project settings as well as the SDI embedded options?

Bit [24] and sample rate [48Khz] match project settings. Iv'e also tried 16 and 44.1Khz material and project with no luck.

I don't see any SDI embedding options, either in MC or in BMD control panel?

Nigel

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 7:11 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,518
    • Points 64,025
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

SDI embedding options are only visible in MC when using Avid hardware and there's no setting in the BMD cotrol panel.

Playing tone will send output to all channels.  You can see how many channels are being output by looking at the audio meters.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Oct 30 2018 8:30 AM In reply to

• St.John
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 262
    • Points 3,230

I'm sure you've checked this but in the timeline at the right hand end of the button bar there is a symbol of a monitor with a red bar in it, if you click it you should get a small red cross and pics & sound through the BMD device. Normally it has a red circle with a diagonal line if output is disabled.  Sometimes Avid starts with the BMD device disabled

I hope this helps

St.John

Mac pro 3.33 GHz 6gb ram OSX 10.7.2 qt 7.6.4, MC 6.0.1 AJA IO express gtech drives firewire 800 connection Mac pro 2.8 6gb ram, OSx 10.7.2, MC 6.0.1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 1 2018 3:02 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 526
    • Points 6,100
      Avid Certified User

Thank you all for your suggestions.

It turns out I had the DIP switches set wrong. I was getting AES channels 9-16 output rather than 1-8, as hbrock suggested.

Playing calibration tone outputs to all 16 AES/EBU channels, so it was still audible.

Regards

Nigel

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller