Latest post Fri, Nov 16 2018 10:42 AM by Jannik C. Altgen. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 12 2018 3:21 PM

MC 8.5.2 PSD Alpha Batch-Import Issues

Hey folks,

I've been working on archiving a project that uses dozens of PSD files as source for text overlays that are animated in MC. For archival purposes I have to rename all media files to comply with our archive system (don't hate, I don't like it either but it's what we're stuck with).

Now, I've renamed and successfully relinked media files. Where I couldn't relink I did a batch reimport. Now, I have a collection of precomputes, master clips and sequences. Each PSD has a couple of layers in it, which are represented as a video track in a sequence with two sub-tracks where the top one of each of those is now still offline. No amount of reimporting, reindexing etc. solves this offline problem. Also, none of those PSDs show up in the media tool. It's real messy. Is this a known error, am I missing a crucial setting or something? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

J

• Thu, Nov 15 2018 5:30 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: MC 8.5.2 PSD Alpha Batch-Import Issues

If the import settings are set to handle the alpha channel the way the origina import did and you did a batch import by pointing to the new file path to replace the old one and it didn't work, well, that sucks.  Does it work correctly if you just do a new import of the renamed PSD file?  If so, the solution may be overcutting unless someone else can chime in with another solution.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Thu, Nov 15 2018 9:35 AM In reply to

HI hbrock,

thank you for your response. I will try and double check the import settings. I've not made any changes to them, in fact I don't even know where to globally set them. I can do a fresh import of those files, yes, and then I get a dialogue on how to import the PSDs. Unfortunately, the original editor doesn't remember how he imported the files exactly.

Overcutting would be an option, as I'm looking at over 15 different localized versions each including over 30 elements that would need replacing, this is almost as bad as recutting the entire thing from scratch.

Thanks for your help,

J

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 6:35 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

PSDs can come in either as layers or flattened with Alpha channel.  Based on your screenshot it looks like the latter.  Hopefully it will be obvious.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 10:42 AM In reply to

Ok, so what I get with the old PSDs is a sequence with layers on separate video tracks. This is necessary because the layers are then animated seperately. So it's not flattened. What confuses me is that some PSDs work and some don't. Here's the folder structure:

1) GERMAN NEW

2) GERMAN OLD

3) ENGLISH FINAL

The filenames in GERMAN NEW and GERMAN OLD are identical but with slight differences in the files. ENGLISH FINAL has unique filenames not found in any other folder (the way it should be). Now, there is no sure-fire way to detect which of the GERMAN PSDs was linked. This could naturally cause the issue that some layers are offline when I'm linking to PSDs which don't have the correct layer names / count.

What a mess. I'm waiting on word from the editor who cut this project.

Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller