Latest post Thu, Dec 6 2018 4:36 AM by hbrock. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 18 2018 8:21 PM

• Pete Johnson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 14 2018
    • City & Islington College
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Animating text with 3D tool

I'm trying to do a simple animation of the word SLOW crawling horizontally across the screen using Avid's 3D tool effect. 2 position keyframes establishes this very simply. I then animate a slight repeated lurch, using skew, to resemble a snail like motion. I'm doing this with 2 keyframes then cutting and pasting to create about 6 cycles throughout the sequence. This process alters the 2 frame position animation inexplicably. I guessed that I was Cut & Pasting , using CMD +C+P, across multiple parameters so I tried the cumbersome process of clicking on the pink keyframe icon and selected "Add to selected parameters" That looked as though it might work but then it turns out that CMD+C+P doesn't work on a single parameter.

I'm using the 30 day trial of MCP Ultimate and this looks very like bugginess to me but I find it hard to believe that this is the case.

Ive been teaching students screen graphics for two years using After Effects and Premiere but the college has moved to Avid this year and they want me to teach my usual rudimentary animation introduction with Avid. I'm finding it a real trial compared to other software. I spent 20 years using Softimage, After Effects , FCP, Premiere and Cinema 4D and there's a fairly common animation process evident in all of these. It's literally a couple of minute's work. Avid appears to chuck all of this out of the window as far as I can tell. Is this actually the case or am I failing to find Avid's hidden simplicity?

Mac Sierra 10.12.4, 3.1 Intel i7, 8GB 1600 MHJz DDR3 GeForce 650m 512 MB Media Composer Ultimate Trial [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 6 2018 4:36 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,517
    • Points 64,010
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Animating text with 3D tool

While Avid has better media managment, sharing and trimming functions for editing..most people use After Effects for this sort of thing.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller