Latest post Thu, Jun 22 2006 3:19 PM by jasonsaro. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 16 2006 2:10 PM

• ptatler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 16 2006
    • Knoxville TN
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Color Correction Issues

I'm running Meda Composer Adrenaline HD 2.1.8 on a PC and have a peculiar issue that -- so far -- no one I've spoken with can relate to or rectify.

I spend a day color correction a show, render the CC effects, and shut everything down. When I come in the next morning to lay the CCed master to tape, I reboot to find that all of the luma and chroma values have been knocked back into the illegal range. The change is very subtle, but it still requires going back through the entire show again, re-CCing... a lot of wasted time, basically.

Anybody encountering similar issues (or am I just insane)? We have two identical Adrenaline setups and it only happens on the one machine.

• Fri, Jun 16 2006 2:40 PM In reply to

Re: Color Correction Issues

I haven't had this issue, but since you say it is limited to one platform, it sounds like corrupted site settings.  Trash the following files:

MC State

Site_Attributes

Site_Settings.avs

The system will detect the missing files on re-launch and rebuild them.

Path is C:\Program Files\Avid\Media Composer Adrenaline\Settings

HTH

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 16 2006 3:30 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Weird, I'd, first of all, follow Larry's advice.

Do you have the opportunity to open the timeline on another system ?

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Fri, Jun 16 2006 5:23 PM In reply to

• ptatler
    • Not Ranked
    • Knoxville TN
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

We often trash the aforementioned files. Sometimes this'll stick for a little while... but the CC issue is a recurring problem that transcends the little changes. I should qualify something -- when I say it's knocked into the illegal zone, I mean that the built in alarms go off again.

Sometimes all I have to do to make it "legal" again is add a point to the Master Curves grid. It's like the Avid's lonely and needs to be touched. The change made by adding a point is barely detectable. But -- according to the Avid -- it means the difference between our show passing network standards or not.

Make sense?

As for taking the sequence into another system... it's an obvious move and one I've yet to try. I will as soon as the other edit bay isn't busy.
  • Fri, Jun 16 2006 7:20 PM In reply to

Regarding network standards, if you haven't already (and you probably have), ask your QC house for a technical specifications sheet so you know exactly what parameters you must meet for acceptable video, audio, timecode, etc.  Then you can decide what is legal and what is not instead of Avid reps guessing at whether or not your shows will pass standards.
    Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 16 2006 8:13 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

Ive been dealing with this issue since Media Composer Meridian 11.8 . Im currently running 4 MCA ver. 2.1 and have the same issue on every machine.  All i know is that the built in alarms go off, but the media stays corrected.  My DVW-A500 deck is connected to a VideoTek VTM-300, monitoring the SDI output of the deck.  I get no warnings there when i output a show.  Ive got no ideas what could cause this. I really only use the built in alarms as guides.  I go by the real monitor to make sure im legal.

Jay
    ISIS 5500 - 240 Tb HPZ840 - MC 8.4.5 XDCAM HD - XDCAM EX - HDCAM -- HDCAM SR [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 22 2006 2:57 PM In reply to

• ptatler
    • Not Ranked
    • Knoxville TN
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Delayed reaction, but I figured you'd like to know:

We're finding the same problem on all of our Adrenaline machines now. However -- like you said -- the Avid alarms are misleading. The video has not changed at all, even though the alarms have. It's all still illegal. To rid ourselves of the the alarms, all we do is make a slight change to the correction (e.g. add one value of saturation) and then take it away. Viola: it's legal again, according to the Avid alarms.

That said, we need to get a VideoTek that monitors SDI. We're running TVM-675s now and they barely function for analog signals, let alone digital.  Do you like the VTM-300?
  • Thu, Jun 22 2006 3:19 PM In reply to

• jasonsaro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Philadelphia
    • Posts 556
    • Points 6,735

I love it, it works great.  Our setup is SDI video and Embedded audio in and out of 4 MCA's, in to a router, and then in / out of our DVW-A500 Digital Betacam deck.  I have the SDI output of the Digi deck connected right into the back of the VideoTek and its great. 

When we output a show, the editor is at the deck making sure everything is cool with the output, and then are monitoring the signal there.  There are 8 presets on it that you can have setup for different networks or standards, and they are all configured through the front, or through a com port on a PC.  The software that comes with it is called SpyderWeb, we have used it a couple of times, but not too much. 

I have it set to NTSC 601 standards, as the networks we deliver shows to require this, and its great.  It will alarm you with Time Code stamps of any illegal video or audio comming into it. I also have the audio and Timecode out of the deck running into it.  This is how i know where to go back on the tape and check it out.  Its saved us quite a bit, and i would recomend it.

A friend of mine also told me about this product from TekTronix, ive downloaded it and tried it out, pretty neat, but pricey.  Im happy with my videotek.  Thanks, hope it helps!

Jay

http://www.tek.com/Measurement/cgi-bin/framed.pl?Document=/Measurement/video_audio/wfmnle/index.html&FrameSet=television
    ISIS 5500 - 240 Tb HPZ840 - MC 8.4.5 XDCAM HD - XDCAM EX - HDCAM -- HDCAM SR [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller