Latest post Sat, Jul 1 2006 3:51 PM by sep. 69 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 24 2006 8:53 PM

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

Important questions about MC Software

Because there is no forum for Media Composer Software I post them here.

The webcast by Tim does not answer some important question we need to know before we will buy an upgrade.

1. Which support policy for updates and upgrades will Avid apply? Must I buy Avid Assurance to get upgrades?
    2. Will MC Software only run on older HP and Apple computers? or will Avid broaden the supported systems (does the requirements for the Academic version also be the requirements for the full version).

There may be more business related questions You can add to this thread.
    HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 25 2006 9:15 PM In reply to

• Alan H.
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 20 2006
    • Posts 10
    • Points 100

Re: Important questions about MC Software

1. see this thread (Marianna's response)
    http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/108657.aspx

2. I'm sure Avid will post a list of qualified systems for MC software. Of course they will broaden the list of supported systems, but as has always been the case this process takes a lot of time. Everyday processing technology gets a little better and the users want to use the new technology immediately. The lag time between the availability of the technology and the qualification of the technolgy by Avid has been a constant gripe of Avid users forever. I don't see this changing, ever.
  • Sun, Jun 25 2006 9:27 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

berga, this belongs in the Media Composer forum. They will soon be renamed to reflect the broad range of MC projects.

Since you have been mostly on PCs, I'll move it there
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sun, Jun 25 2006 9:30 PM In reply to

Alan H.:
    1. see this thread (Marianna's response) http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/108657.aspx 2.

I think if you actually read Marianna's response carefully she said nothing about needing assurance for 2.5 MC software. She said in the MC paragraph that if you want to upgrade to 2.5 (upgrading can only mean existing MCA users) you need assurance or to renew your assurance. You may need to look past the smoke and mirrors to find the actual answer. I have asked the question

• Sun, Jun 25 2006 9:33 PM In reply to

" berga, this belongs in the Media Composer forum"  WHY the most interest in MC software and its abilities and costs is amongst the Pro owners and users
  • Mon, Jun 26 2006 7:43 AM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

AndrewAction:
    " berga, this belongs in the Media Composer forum"  WHY the most interest in MC software and its abilities and costs is amongst the Pro owners and users

I fully agree, though, MCA users will also, sooner or later, be interested in 2.5,

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Mon, Jun 26 2006 2:24 PM In reply to

• Pif
    • Not Ranked
    • Avid Tewksbury
    • Posts 202
    • Points 2,305

AndrewAction:

If I could just quickly interject re: the placement of the post...the posts are organized by their topic. So a topic regarding MC should be under MC, even though any other Avid product owners may want to read it. If an Xpress Pro member is interested in Media Composer, the logical place for them to start reading (beside the Avid product pages Wink [;)]) would be the Media Composer forums.

Mike Pifalo

Sr. Web Producer, Onling Mktg and User Experience

http://www.avid.com

• Mon, Jun 26 2006 2:51 PM In reply to

• greenheron
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,220

Obviously there is no official answer to the question of assurance for MC. This may be why the thread has degenerated to positions of where it should be located.

Marianna stated that she would check today about the assurance policy. The powers that be, must still be setting policy over the new software release otherwise Marianna would have had a definitive answer. I will wait until I know for certain, exactly what it will COST me to upgrade and purchase future upgrades.

These are very uncertain times for businesses trying to be competitive and supply clients with new formats. The move to support HD is proving to be very expensive.

• Mon, Jun 26 2006 3:50 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

U have this info :

"Media Composer v2.5 is a download from the avid support center for customers with a MC v2.x system that have a valid support contract. It has always been handled this way. If you let your support lapse and you want the MC 2.5 software, then you contact sales and order it from your reseller for $995.

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

• Mon, Jun 26 2006 4:14 PM In reply to

• greenheron
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,220

That does not apply to those of us upgrading from AXP.
  • Mon, Jun 26 2006 4:38 PM In reply to

Version 2.5 is a dongle protected release which means you have to run either a Dongle Versioner or a Dongle Update.  The difference between those tools is that the update will be valid on a single system whereas the versioner will work on numerous systems that meet specific requirements. Your system configuration must have a licence to run the software.  The dongle update/versioner activates that licence.  Having valid assurance on the system is the best way to ensure your system have that licence.

• Mon, Jun 26 2006 4:52 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

greenheron:
    That does not apply to those of us upgrading from AXP.

No, for sure !

though 3k is a gift compard to MCA owners investments !

sep

• Mon, Jun 26 2006 5:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,214
    • Points 218,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Folks,

Here is the scoop after verification this am.

Xpress Pro 5.5 or Media Composer 2.5 do not require support. You do not need support in order to upgrade from Xpress Pro 5.2 or 5.5 to MC 2.5 either.   If you opt to not go with support (and a one year software update contract is $995 US MSRP – Europe needs to check with your Avid office) then you can buy the updates individually through the year just like MCA and NC product users do today.  This has not changed.   Any update that contains fixes will still be uploaded to the CPR site and anyone can download those as long as they have the base version or dongle license that supports the "said" CPR.   This also will not change and is the same process as it has been.

Yes... MC 2.5 is dongle protected so you need a dongle update. If you have support and enter the avid.com download site and have a valid contract, you will be able to download v2.5 when it is available later this week and also receive your dongle update.  This has not changed either from processes of the past.

Another point……….  If you have Xpress Pro 5.2 today and wish to upgrade you can do so in several ways.

1. Xpress Pro v5.2 to Xpress Pro v5.5 upgrade can either be a $50 download (available end of week) or a $345 physicals shipping version with manuals and 3rd party software (available for order now).

2. Xpress Pro v5.2 to MC v2.5 upgrade ordered before August 31, 2006 for $2995 or after that date $3495

3. Xpress Pro 5/.2 to Xpress Pro v5.5 (either the $50 or $345 upgrade) and then an upgrade to MC v2.5 before August 31, 2006 for $2995 or after that date $3495.

None of these require assurance but as Bob Hird stated……….having support does ensure your dongle has the proper license and that you get all the updates ( fixes and features) during the year your contract is valid.

HTH and please email me directly if you have questions and point to the thread you would like me to address.

Marianna

marianna_montague@avid.com

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Jun 26 2006 5:36 PM In reply to

• Cattledog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Atlanta
    • Posts 350
    • Points 4,690

Marianna,

Thanks for the indepth post. You answered all of my questions but one.  Is there an upgrade option to go from Mojo to Mojo SDI?

CD
    Media Composer 2.5.2 HP xw8200. Mojo SDI 4gb ram. Dual 3.4 Xeons. Nvidia Quadro FX3400. Dual Viewsonic VP930b monitors. Mackie 1642 vlzpro mixer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 26 2006 8:00 PM In reply to

• EditGuy18
    • Not Ranked
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 202
    • Points 2,535

Another question. . .

Does the MC-Adrenaline upgrade include/or is it also the MC Software version?  For example, when I download the Adrenaline upgrade would I be able to load that software on another computer or a laptop and plug-in the dongle if I wanted to work away from the office?

Avid Media Composer Nitris DX 5.0.3.8 - HP Z800 Workstation - Twin Hex Core Xeon 3.0GHz Processors - 12 Gig Ram - Windows 7 64-bit - NVIDIA QuadroFX 4800... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 5 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller