Latest post Sat, Jul 1 2006 3:51 PM by sep. 69 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 27 2006 11:08 AM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

Re: Important questions about MC Software

As I have understand and been told. there will only be one Media Composer NLE, just as there is one Xpress Pro HD. To this software you can put a €2500 Mojo SDI or €13000 Adrenaline SD for SD editing or add a DNxHD board for €7500 (if You not buy the system now and got it for €3000).
    HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 27 2006 11:19 AM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

Marianna,

tanks for the comments but  I  want some more clarifications.

1. The price of upgrade and assurance in Europe.
    2. Why shall I bougth an assurance (what a name, why not call it support contract), when I does not have an HP computer to use MC on? Will I got support or will you turn me off because I have not a certified system?
    3. Will there be more certified computers than older HP and Apples.
    4. How often will Avid release an upgrade of Media Composer?
    Since may 2004 we have only got one upgrade of Xpress Pro and the second will be now. That would be one year waste of assurance money.
    5. Can I buy a support contract (Assurance) today for MCA and got version 2.5 for free?
    6. What is the difference in support policy between US and Europe?

At last, then losts customers of MC-software will not be corporate buyers, and therefore not custom with yearly support contracts, why not write a white paper about Avids Support Policy and Support Contracts with everything in. This is a black box if You try to get any information from Your webpage. (And be aware with differences between US and the rest of the World).

Sorry for the negative attitude in this post, but when it is difficult to get information there are only two reason. First, bad communications department, or second, there is something to hide. And when You communicate very well with the advantage of MC, i got suspisious, but I will belive it is bad communication.

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 27 2006 11:44 AM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

berga:

Since may 2004 we have only got one upgrade of Xpress Pro and the second will be now. That would be one year waste of assurance money.

If you only consider the upgrade possibility and not the tech support, + the assistance, you're right !

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Tue, Jun 27 2006 2:48 PM In reply to

Like Marianna mentioned, you don't need to get Assurance. If you don't want it then don't get it.
    :: Work - Symphony Nitris DX 3.5.1, HP xw8600 :: Home - Intel 3.0Ghz Quad CPU 8GB G.Skill DDR3 7-7-7 1600 Ram Asus P5E3 Pro NVidia Quadro FX... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Tue, Jun 27 2006 3:32 PM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

Scott Carnegie:
    Like Marianna mentioned, you don't need to get Assurance. If you don't want it then don't get it.

But I try to understand if I need it and why I need it. And if it is worth the money.
  • Tue, Jun 27 2006 4:24 PM In reply to

• EditGuy18
    • Not Ranked
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 202
    • Points 2,535

BLKDOG:
    I spoke with the Avid team yesterday and they verified exactly that. They even said that it was possible to put the DNA in a Machine room and patch each room into it as you needed it (that gets into FW hubs and a bunch of stuff that hasn't been tested but it is possible, theoretically). Cool, huh?

That might, in some small way, ROCK!!

Avid Media Composer Nitris DX 5.0.3.8 - HP Z800 Workstation - Twin Hex Core Xeon 3.0GHz Processors - 12 Gig Ram - Windows 7 64-bit - NVIDIA QuadroFX 4800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 27 2006 9:58 PM In reply to

Scott Carnegie:
    Sure Scott.

What Marianna also said was that you can choose to just buy the upgrades.

If I read Mariannas post correctly she is saying that each MC software upgrade (the ones you pay $50 for with Pro) will cost you $995.

How many payable upgrades will there be a year? If two, then is assurance a better bet? Which ever way you look at it the cost of running MC software is signigficant.  The glossy, well documented entry level price is bait. Extracting our actual ongoing cost of MC software ownership in the forum here has been more painfull than pulling teeth.

Believe me once you have taken the bait it becomes much harder to not upgrade your "significant investment" because its $995.  Those that have followed the NAB thread  http://www.avid.com/exchange/forums/thread/87901.aspx  will know by now that once "corporate" has made a price decision thats it. $995 for each update stretching out into the future
  • Tue, Jun 27 2006 10:09 PM In reply to

Andrew, all of your points are valid. Ultimately the power is yours, if you don't like it then don't buy it. New Zealand is a democracy correct? Wink [;)]
    :: Work - Symphony Nitris DX 3.5.1, HP xw8600 :: Home - Intel 3.0Ghz Quad CPU 8GB G.Skill DDR3 7-7-7 1600 Ram Asus P5E3 Pro NVidia Quadro FX... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jun 27 2006 11:06 PM In reply to

Scott Carnegie:
    Andrew, all of your points are valid. Ultimately the power is yours, if you don't like it then don't buy it. New Zealand is a democracy correct? Wink [;)]
    Democracy yes but democratic in the true Greek definition?

I assume using a forum (a place to discuss points of view) to raise grave concerns over poorly documented and even less discused price traps would have been a democratic duty in a true democracy.

And yes, for me, the dont buy (or recommend) is a very strong possibility.
  • Tue, Jun 27 2006 11:11 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Along the lines of Poorly documented....

When 2.5 and 5.5 are released, you will need to be running Sapphire 2.0.x and Boris CC 4.1.x inorder for the two to be compatible.

For us here, that's about a $1500 upgrade cost. Hold on to your wallets!
    Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jun 27 2006 11:16 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

But Andrew maybe forced to upgrade to the $7000 card as it helps protect his investment in his Adrenaline, who would buy his used Adrenaline with no HD card for a price he thought it was worth when they could get a better deal on a new HD system from Avid.

This is why a lot of post companies are switching to FCP High def
    if you do the financial numbers it makes sense.

Maybe Andrew should sell his standard def Adrenaline while he can, buy MC software, a Mojo, FCP Studio , Shake (now $499), and a blackmagic HD card.
  • Tue, Jun 27 2006 11:51 PM In reply to

" But Andrew maybe forced to upgrade to the $7000 card as it helps protect his investment in his Adrenaline" No Nick I have brought the decklink card and added it to my FCP. Not what I wanted, but I now have my HD system.

"Andrew should sell his standard def Adrenaline while he can, buy MC software," No ..... $995 for each upgrade and as BLKDOG has pointed out PLUS another $1500 to update my MC versions of the plugins.
  • Wed, Jun 28 2006 7:07 AM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,658
    • Points 19,845

Andrew,
    if I understand You right, even if I payed €€€€€€ for a support contract (assurance?) I can not utilise the upgrade part of it becasuse to I have to pay extra for upgrading for the bundle plug-ins?

I think MC-software more and more seams to be a bad business for most Xpress pro shops.
  • Wed, Jun 28 2006 7:13 AM In reply to

No. Assurance lets you upgrade at no cost while the contract is current. What is being said above is that some AVX plug-ins like BCC and sapphire might not work with Pro 5.5 and the support site says so. Somtimes upgrades aren't compatiable so the plug-ins might need to be upgrated. I haven't had a chance to test this myself as of yet so I can't confirm.

• Wed, Jun 28 2006 10:30 AM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

BLKDOG:
    Along the lines of Poorly documented.... When 2.5 and 5.5 are released, you will need to be running Sapphire 2.0.x and Boris CC 4.1.x inorder for the two to be compatible. For us here, that's about a $1500 upgrade cost. Hold on to your wallets!

Why BLKDOG, do we need to upgrade to Sapphire 2 and BCC 4.1, MC 2.5 is AVX 1.5 and AVX 2.0 compatible !

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

Page 3 of 5 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller