Latest post Wed, Mar 20 2019 5:55 PM by joe@846rock.com. 48 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 24 2019 3:37 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 10 2010
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

Re: set your media files location

i also work with media composer for about 18 years and i must say that media composer is in my opinion the best editing software by far.

i will even waste my time arguing with people who think that final cut x is a legitimate tool for studios.

so 2 major issues with media files location:

1. you  hve to use a system that lets you create , manage and mount nedia spaces which is expensive, and also if you have 10+ editing bays you cant use some folder to virtual drive solution beacuse its to messy. so you have to go with nexis, edit share etc, 

now if u are a large studio and already have a good storage for media you still have to spend more mony on a lesser device.

2. we make mostly promos mabey severl handreds in a mounth... beacuse of leagal reasons the projects must remain sparated so each technician have to unmount all several times a day.

and that is just for start.

we work with so many differnt tools each of them lets you keep your stuff were ever you want ...

i dont think thats so hard to do or to manage.

everyone here is looking to help woth workflow and stuff but the main issue is that you can work in differnt way and still its all good.

• Sun, Feb 24 2019 5:42 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,411
    • Points 41,175

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    But there are more reasons I believe changing this is problematic. The current MC 2018.12.1 is still able to open (almost) all projects and media created on old systems like for example Xpress Pro on a Powermac 9x00 or a Compaq w8000 running Windows NT. That backwards compatibility is important for those that have almost 2 decades of tape archives (LTO or other) of their projects.

Not to sidetrack this very useful discussion, but what Jeroen wrote is IMHO the single biggest issue Avid faces going forward.  There are many new / better tools and workflows for what we do than when Avid was developed so many years ago.  And with Avid's diverse user base, abandoning a feature or changing so much as to invalidate an existing or old feature could be really bad for some users.

Plus software such as Avid is built on top of itself.  A radical rework can be expensive and unstable at first and unsettling for users.  Look to FCPX for an example.

My point is what may seem like a simple fix to me could be a major change which might unavoidably and negatively affect a large number of users.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 9:28 AM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

it seems from reading all posts here that a lot of peapole are woried for avid- how much it will cost for them to develop or how difficult it is to do all this changes....

this is not a concern for me or for any costumer of avid.

it should only be an issue for the developers, i dont care what happads in the back 

almost all posts here wants this changes, we shouldnt care whats going on there or how it should be done.

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 9:41 AM In reply to

It is a concern for anyone who feels there are other priorities. Again, vote to make yourself heard, the vote is there to assess which functionality is most wanted by the end users.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 25 2019 10:11 AM In reply to

shchoona1:

1. you  hve to use a system that lets you create , manage and mount nedia spaces which is expensive, and also if you have 10+ editing bays you cant use some folder to virtual drive solution beacuse its to messy. so you have to go with nexis, edit share etc, 

now if u are a large studio and already have a good storage for media you still have to spend more mony on a lesser device.

IMHO this only applies if you consider Nexis a 'lesser' storage and you need to have hell of a storage for me to agree on that. A nexis will exaclty do as you describe. You create 1 workspace for each promo and you are good to go.  That Avid has included functional advantages in its storage solutions over 3rd parties is a commercial 1+1=2.

Others have tried to mimic Avid Nexis/ISIS with different levels of succes. Facilis Terrablock https://www.facilis.com/products-shared-storage/ did a pretty good job. But you could also look at a tool called MIMIQ http://indiestor.com/product/mimiq/

shchoona1:

2. we make mostly promos mabey severl handreds in a mounth... beacuse of leagal reasons the projects must remain sparated so each technician have to unmount all several times a day.

and that is just for start.

Again what stops you from buying a Nexis if that's a requirement? Price?

Thanks,

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 10:30 AM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

hi

thanks for trying to help but i have been through all of that before 

there is no point if i continue to explain.

i honstley cant understand why this is such an issue all i want is an option to decide were i want my media placed witout a drive for each project thats it.

thanks anyway.

p.s 

for everyone who is not from the I.T world - nexis and all other nich products are lesser than all the big ones like emc, netapp etc.

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 11:59 AM In reply to

shchoona1:

p.s 

for everyone who is not from the I.T world - nexis and all other nich products are lesser than all the big ones like emc, netapp etc.

I guess the people from Quantum's Stornext on which Nexis's hardware is based might have a thing or 2 say about that.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 12:32 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

The nexis is a fine product but it is not an oraganization \enterprise level storage wich allows you to work from a  singel system.

its storage for video editing, in todays world it dosnt have to be like this.

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 1:58 PM In reply to

shchoona1:
    It is not an oraganization \enterprise level storage wich allows you to work from a  singel system.

Avid is labeling the E series as enterprise in their marketing and you can connect with a single system if you want. A little overkill but you can.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 2:10 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

dude i am not sure you got me about what is enerprise 

this is a video only storage.

main issue : you have a giant massive ultra preformence cluster of lets say emc isilon and its  good for everything vmware\documents\database but not good for avid media composer- thats it.

me and a lot of other poeple just want to be able to use what we got and not by another system.

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 2:43 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 747
    • Points 8,810

shchoona1:
    i will even waste my time arguing with people who think that final cut x is a legitimate tool for studios.

If you're game, start a new thread. Let's do this.

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 2:52 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

not today but cool :-)

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 3:36 PM In reply to

shchoona1:
    main issue : you have a giant massive ultra preformence cluster of lets say emc isilon and its  good for everything vmware\documents\database but not good for avid media composer- thats it.

So I understand your point... Just because you need to mount 'it' as a drive letter in windows (more a 'microsoft mounting architecture from the 80-90's' issue than Avid's but ok) and type 'alldrives' in the console of media composer, it is not good enough?

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 3:44 PM In reply to

• shchoona1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 485

no!

thats not the point at all

lets leave it like this.

thanks agin

• Mon, Feb 25 2019 5:05 PM In reply to

Isaac T.:

shchoona1:

If you're game, start a new thread. Let's do this.

No, let's don't. ;)

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 3 of 4 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller