Latest post Fri, Feb 14 2020 7:00 PM by cls105. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 27 2020 8:57 AM

Little delay when I hit « play »...

Hi everyone!

I recently built a new workstation for Media Composer (Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 3960X,  64 Go RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000 (16Go), DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G… Everything goes fine exept that I am still experiencing a little delay when I hit « play », I would say 6/8 frames… So it is not as responsive as it is on other NLE (or Color Grading) softwares on the same PC, which annoys me considerably...

Do you know how can I solve this?

Thank You for your help :)

Media Composer 2019.12 on PC Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 3960X, + 64 Go RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000 (16Go), DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G, RME... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 2 2020 4:25 PM In reply to

Re: Little delay when I hit « play »...

Am I the only one experiencing this issue? So, when you hit play, your timeline starts instantly without any delay?

Media Composer 2019.12 on PC Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 3960X, + 64 Go RAM, Nvidia Quadro P5000 (16Go), DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G, RME... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 3 2020 2:04 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 487
    • Points 6,250

it could be the AMD cpu.  i had issues with the first generation ryzen cpu's.

also, i dislike using blackmagic output cards, I find this also causes a tiny delay aswell.

I always use software only for the extra snappiness.

ive posted several times in the past saying id reccomend amd for transcoding but not playback (for media composer).

• Mon, Feb 3 2020 8:26 AM In reply to

It's an MC thing. when you hit Play, MC buffers the sequence to ensure flawless playback. You can limit the buffer size using the PlayLength feature. 
    It's been a longstanding request to get snappier playback. 
    Like cs105, I have experienced snappier response from MC in SW-only mode. 

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 3 2020 10:28 AM In reply to

Hi! Thank you for your answers.

cls105:

it could be the AMD cpu.  i had issues with the first generation ryzen cpu's.

also, i dislike using blackmagic output cards, I find this also causes a tiny delay aswell.

Avid doesn't qualifies AMD because they don't test it... I think it's a nonsense nowedays with the new generation Ryzen Threadripper. Anyway, I had the same delay experience with Intel bi-Xeon, so I don't think AMD is involved here, the Threadripper 3960X works fine with MC. And the Decklink is ok too, far better than my old Matrox Mojito :)

Job ter Burg:

It's an MC thing. when you hit Play, MC buffers the sequence to ensure flawless playback. You can limit the buffer size using the PlayLength feature.

I understand, thank you. Where is the "play Length" feature? I can't find it...

• Wed, Feb 5 2020 6:03 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 256
    • Points 3,075

Had the same problem - when I hit the space bar sometimes sometimes I get a delay as well - I figured I needed a need keyboard as it is now ten years old - anyway maybe now it has been explained -

Symphony 2019.12- Win 10 pro (1809), Asus PrimeZ270 with i7 7700 cpu, Quadro P2000,(431.02) 64gig memory, 500gig SSD system drive, WD 5TB,and 2TB media... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 14 2020 7:00 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 487
    • Points 6,250

Did you ever solve this problem?

Put the playlength button on your timeline so you can see what the status is.  Then in the console you can set it differently.

Now I am wondering if you can do a test.  Can you put some raw footage on a very fast drive (like nvme) and transcode it.

I want to see if media composer will use 24 cores when transcoding.

With 14 cores, I get 100% cores usage when transcoding with no drive bottlenecks.  (this cpu is being cooled with a 3u noctua fan so clock speeds are lower than when I liquid cool)

I've heard 18 cores is the most media composer will use but I want to see this for myself.  Show me what that 24 core can do please :)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller